Mustang power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, as I've posted about in other threads I will be doing fluid on a 96 mustang with the T45 manual. This calls for 3.3qts of mercon V. I figure since I'll have extra fluid I might as well do the turkey baster method to refresh some of the PS fluid.

1. Any idea how much the PS reservoir holds?
2. Any issues mixing the existing mercon or mercon v, new merocn v and either napa dex/merc or mobil 1 to top off this application? I know people prefer to use one fluid, but I am not going to be doing a complete flush and figure this is a good time to use up old ATF stock while refreshing the system.

Just start with a full QT of fluid. The pump in my 02 GT is quietest with Mobil1. If your going to do this you should do it several times. Just sucking the reservoir dry once and refilling isn't going to really do anything.

Empty the reservoir and with the front wheels in the air turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. It'll burp up a little more fluid that you can suck out. Then refill and slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock again a few times. Then start the car and after about 30 seconds or so turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock a few times again.

Repeat that process at least two times. I usually do this process 4 times. Then top off and go drive around and double check the fluid level. I've done this about every year and a half since I got the car in 2003 and the PS works just as good as the day I got it and doesn't leak.

I have used different ATFs in the same power steering system and never had any problems. It is a great use for old partially filled containers of ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back