How do people take a UOA sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
I would just follow Blackstone's direction: How to take an Oil Sample

But also use common sense. As they say to do it, you most likely will burn your hands with the oil. Even with gloves on you still can, so do what they say, let the car cool for 5-10 minutes then take the sample, not worth getting a 2nd degree burn over.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Shagger
I am sending a sample to Blackstone but was wondering, is there a guideline to UOA sample taking? Do I take it as the oil starts to drain from the pan, after it slows down, near the end, from the filter?

How do you guys do it?

I use an oil analysis pump... this one in particular: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ot.../?code=G1206-EA

I know Blackstone sells a similar one, and both pumps take the exact same sample jars (sample jars are standard across testing companies, as far as I can tell). This is the best method by far IMHO. You can test oil while continuing to use it with this method.

My advice: Pay the $10 to become an Amsoil Preferred Customer for 6 months, buy the pump for the reduced price, and stock up on sample kits. OAI kits for preferred customers are about $18 and include TBN and oxidation. It's a great value really. Good luck!
smile.gif

Here's a video on how this method works:

In 20 years of web surfing... that Blackstone FAQ is one of the best FAQs I have EVER read:

This oil slip paper sucks. My pen won't write on it.

I know. Use a pencil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back