did a oops changing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while on our trip the change oil light came on. Not a big deal I just waited till we got home last night.
I then changed the oil in the Camry. After putting everything back together I put in 4.5 QTs of oil. I then started it up. I had forgot to put the oil filler cap on!
sick.gif

I had a bit of oil on the engine. I cant believe I did that. Did not lose much oil but man talk about feeling stupid. LOL

Only be mad if you do it a second time. I bet you won't do it again anytime soon. At least you remembered to tighten the drain plug and oil filter.

I did that on an 2007 Mercury Milan once. Oil fill cap was just above the timing chain. As soon as the engine started it flung oil all over the ceiling in a perfectly straight line.

Yeah, that wont happen again. Funny, I triple checked the drain plug and filter.
Oh well nothing harmed just a bit of oil to wipe up.

Did that once... Then drove 1100mi home from tx before I noticed...
Was changing it when I got home anyway... No biggie.

I poured 3 qts of Pennzoil 10w30 'with Z7' through the engine on my 73 Impala onto the driveway about 40 years ago, until I realized there was a puddle forming around my feet. I haven't done it since. LOL

Did that once years ago. The top of the cap ended up falling on the engine and stayed there. Ended up melting the top of the cap a bit, but it fit fine on the car.

I purchased a LiquiVac Oil Changing System and did a few minutes of tweaking with it- no Teflon tape required and it does a fantastic job.

However for 2 weeks I'm living in paranoia because my mind does
not remember putting back the oil drain plug. Of course I never removed it. I'm finally getting over it................ Geez!

Try it sometime- changing oil for 40 years using the same procedures and now you are not. Weird!

I won't ever forget to triple check since one time about 5 years ago ....

I drop the drain bolt and walk away , letting it drain into the oil container
Lo and behold, I forgot to remove the cap on the drain container....9 qt sump

Last edited:
I change my oil on a sheet of cardboard. I lay everything out there so before I clean up I can see if I forgot some think. Still it happens, I forgot to replace the drain plug gasket last time but owell I'm sure it will hold up good enough on this OCI

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If this happened at a JL, there would be 14 pages about how no one has pride in their work etc....
lol and want a replacement engine ASAP

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I purchased a LiquiVac Oil Changing System and did a few minutes of tweaking with it- no Teflon tape required and it does a fantastic job.

However for 2 weeks I'm living in paranoia because my mind does
not remember putting back the oil drain plug. Of course I never removed it. I'm finally getting over it................ Geez!

Try it sometime- changing oil for 40 years using the same procedures and now you are not. Weird!

Beats [censored] out of crawling under the car, doesn't it?

You got me thinking. I changed oil on my wife's Rav yesterday and didn't remember putting the cap back on. I came home to check. It was there!

I've got like 2 extractors....I use the small one for small engine stuff but oil extractors IMO take MUCH longer

Extract.
Clean the extraction tubes
Still need to pour oil into a *container* to drop off, etc

I'd rather just drop the bolt and drain anyday, everyday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back