Shotgun slug and buckshot question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastGame
They still make that barrel for the 870, and for other guns too. They are wad lock barrels.

Correct. I couldn't think of the name "Wad Lock". It's a very well made barrel. The bluing on it is actually superior to the finish on the original Remington Wingmaster barrel that came with the gun.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
General rule of thumb is modified, improved cylinder or cylinder choke for slugs. Full choke is a little too restricted.

Yes, if you try to squeeze a solid chunk of lead with an overly restrictive choke, you can end up with a choke that is difficult to remove(depending on the metallurgy of the choke and barrel). As mentioned I like to use modified at most for buck or slugs.

I tried a little test once to put my mind at ease. I took apart 3 Foster slug loads from 3 different manufacturers. Remington, Federal, and Winchester. I took the slug itself and found it would drop freely with room to spare through every full choke I had. Including a "Turkey Choke" which was the most restrictive of all.

These loads are all designed this way. They are safe to fire in ANY shotgun. "Cut Shells" on the other hand, are a disaster waiting to happen. Blasting part of the hull itself through ANY choke can result in bulging the barrel, to possibly even splitting it. Measure the O.D. of any loaded 12 ga. shell. Then measure the I.D. of even an Improved Cylinder choke. It is far smaller. I can't believe there are people on You Tube who recommend doing this type of silly nonsense.

Doesn't the base of the slug expand to fill the bore on firing? Then it would have to be sized down again a bit at the muzzle if the choke were too tight.

I do know I have had surprising success with improved cylinder or cylinder and slugs so that's what I continue to use.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Doesn't the base of the slug expand to fill the bore on firing? Then it would have to be sized down again a bit at the muzzle if the choke were too tight.

I do know I have had surprising success with improved cylinder or cylinder and slugs so that's what I continue to use.

Yes. I have seen an extended extra full turkey choke stripped from its threads and blown partially from the barrel from slug use. So, why not just exercise a margin of safety and use less than full? Seems like a no-brainer.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Doesn't the base of the slug expand to fill the bore on firing?

No, it doesn't work like a Minie Ball in a musket. It can't because the wad acts like a piston, sealing the gases as it is pushed down the bore. The back end of the Foster slug is not exposed to the powder gasses.

Check out an 18" model of the Mossberg 500, sold today as the Persuader model. 18" barrel with 8 shot magazine tube (vs. the hunting models' 5 shot tube).

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=728986

I have one of these, made in the late 1990s. The standard length-of-pull stock is a hair long for me (14" LOP). I have plans to swap it for a 12" LOP Hogue stock eventually.

If you can get a Maverick 88 in the same configuration, go for it. Point is, I think this setup is going to be ideal for what you're going for, which is protection on the ranch and in your vehicle.

I personally don't see the point of rifled shotgun barrels unless you cannot use a rifle. Rifled slugs in smooth bore barrels are accurate out to 100 yards and have the power to take down pretty much any beast in North America. Shots that require more distance you are better off with a rifle. The real purpose of shotguns in my opinion is for birdshot or buckshot for which you need a smooth bore. The ability to use it as a "rifle" with slugs out to 100 yards with rifled slugs is just a plus for an already versatile firearm however I think a rifle is a better instrument for far away tasks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
Always thought that IC was the ticket for rifled slugs (aka: Fosters).

John.

+1 Another vote for IC choke.
Works well with everything, birdshot, buckshot and Foster slugs.
A good all rounder.

I believe there are shotgun/muzzle loader only hunting for safety reason in populated areas.
In that case, a designated firearm such as the Browning A-Bolt rifled slug gun, or an extra barrel on a pump would be nice to have.
A rifled choke would be another option.

Indiana recently changed from just shotgun and muzzle loader to this. My deer gun is still a Remington 870 Express Magnum with the rifled shotgun barrel. Rounds are about $3 each.

"Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf"

Originally Posted By: used_0il
No. The slug "rifling" is not to make the slug spin, but to squeeze through a choke.

I always thought the "rifling" on the slug itself was meant to give the slug some spin in a smooth bore barrel. I would think there has to be some spinning imparted by those angled rifled ridges, even if it's just when the slug squeezes down at the choke.

I see what you said is basically what is also mentioned here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug#Foster_slugs

"Most Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug. Contrary to popular belief, these fins impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. The actual purpose of these fins is to minimize the friction on both the barrel and projectile and allow the slug to be swaged down safely when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer and choke wear may be progressively accelerated when fired through any gauge choked tighter than about improved cylinder."

if your under animal attack I'd take the 12ga. 00 buckshot all 5 rounds hands down.

they have marine duty pistol grip shotguns, nice and compact to stowe on the UTV.

I open carry a 1872 7.5" Colt 45LC Open Top on my ATV for the same reasons up here when feeding the deer.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What kind of spread would one see with 00 buck vs. a slug at say 10 yards?

Depends on what choke you're using. For buckshot in close, an IC (straight bore) would be best.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What kind of spread would one see with 00 buck vs. a slug at say 10 yards?

About a 4 to 8 inch spread on average at 10 yards with 00 buck. If the ammo has the flite control wad, it will be even smaller as that wad is designed to get a good tight spread out to 35 yards or so.

Combine that with 9 pea sized hunks of lead and that is pretty lethal.
27.gif

I had no idea it was so tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back