SuperTech Synthetic - Now Dexos 1 Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: stchman

Kind of like BMW LL-01, Mercedes 229.3 and 229.5, let's not forget about Porsche A40. Since those are super cool "Euro" oils, then paying extra for that makes you cool. Makes me want to back my car into my parking spot while wearing driving gloves.

The difference is that GM charges the oil companies to put the logo on the bottle.

BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche don't charge them for spec approvals.

So BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche GIVE things away? Where does one get information on the GM dexos fees. I have Googled with no success except forums saying it is a huge fee.

Euro oils tend to cost more per quart than non-Euro oils leading one to believe that the charge is there.

So BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche GIVE things away? Where does one get information on the GM dexos fees. I have Googled with no success except forums saying it is a huge fee.

Euro oils tend to cost more per quart than non-Euro oils leading one to believe that the charge is there.

The high cost of Euro oils is because of advanced additives and base oil and smaller economies of scale. They also have to be tested against the standards, but there is no licensing fee. It works the same way ACEA claims do. Obviously the testing does cost money to run, but there is no royalty fee from the organization.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The high cost of Euro oils is because of advanced additives and base oil and smaller economies of scale. They also have to be tested against the standards, but there is no licensing fee. It works the same way ACEA claims do. Obviously the testing does cost money to run, but there is no royalty fee from the organization.

BMW's grocery getter requires special oil over Honda's grocery getter.

The Big $10,000 Question:

Is a Dexos 1 approved 5W-30 as durable, or more so than a regular synthetic blend 10W-30 ?

And by "durable", I mean resistant to shearing out of grade.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The Big $10,000 Question:

Is a Dexos 1 approved 5W-30 as durable, or more so than a regular synthetic blend 10W-30 ?

And by "durable", I mean resistant to shearing out of grade.
What's 10w-30?

Well, this is what I got for the first hit on a search of dexos licensing fees. It is dated, so the actual fees and licensing costs may be different now.

Of course, the "cover charge" to get into the exclusive "dexos 1" club will be considerably higher than attaining the less exclusive API licensing. These additional costs are not only due to higher licensing fees ($1,000 per licensed oil plus 36 cents per gallon sold), but are also attributable to the higher cost of developing the oil in the first place.

http://themotoroilevaluator.com/members-blog/general-motors-dexos-motor-oil-spec/#axzz3hoczU9uF

I suppose "huge" is a relative term. Doesn't really matter, it is the consumer who is actually paying it.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Well, this is what I got for the first hit on a search of dexos licensing fees. It is dated, so the actual fees and licensing costs may be different now.

Of course, the "cover charge" to get into the exclusive "dexos 1" club will be considerably higher than attaining the less exclusive API licensing. These additional costs are not only due to higher licensing fees ($1,000 per licensed oil plus 36 cents per gallon sold), but are also attributable to the higher cost of developing the oil in the first place.

http://themotoroilevaluator.com/members-blog/general-motors-dexos-motor-oil-spec/#axzz3hoczU9uF

I suppose "huge" is a relative term. Doesn't really matter, it is the consumer who is actually paying it.

It doesn't appear Dexos Oil isn't any more expensive than any non (Dexos) certified oils. In some cases (Amsoil) it's cheaper.

No one really knows how the licensing works, or what the royalties are, but a lot of store brands are licensed so it can't be that obtrusive.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
No one really knows how the licensing works, or what the royalties are, but a lot of store brands are licensed so it can't be that obtrusive.

Originally Posted By: CKN

It doesn't appear Dexos Oil isn't any more expensive than any non (Dexos) certified oils. In some cases (Amsoil) it's cheaper.

I've been saying this all along, people act like dexos1 oils are $12 a quart while non-dexos1 oils are $4 a quart.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Originally Posted By: CKN

I've been saying this all along, people act like dexos1 oils are $12 a quart while non-dexos1 oils are $4 a quart.

THIS^^^^^^^^^

I'll confess I have no idea what the love for, or the dislike towards dexos. If your engine recommends it/requires it/just seems to want it, then go for it. Otherwise, who cares?

And I also don't get the condescension towards "euro" oils either. The price for Castrol 0W-40 and M1 0W-40 is the same as for other oils from the manufacturer, even lower for M1 0W-40 than for their EP line. So what's the problem again other than silly pettiness?

Use what your engine requires. Geez.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I'll confess I have no idea what the love for, or the dislike towards dexos. If your engine recommends it/requires it/just seems to want it, then go for it. Otherwise, who cares?

And I also don't get the condescension towards "euro" oils either. The price for Castrol 0W-40 and M1 0W-40 is the same as for other oils from the manufacturer, even lower for M1 0W-40 than for their EP line. So what's the problem again other than silly pettiness?

Use what your engine requires. Geez.

I agree. It's the same silly pettiness those have against shopping at Walmart. The company who employees thousands of people....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Just because they employ thousands of people doesn't mean I have to shop there or like shopping there.

Then don't.

I certainly don't. My last jug of oil from there was about four years ago, and my last jug from Canadian Tire, for comparison, about three or so years ago. My last oil filter from Walmart was about twenty-five years ago, and from Canadian Tire, it hasn't happened yet, ever.

Doesn't matter to me. I get the oil for my 2015 2500 6.0 from Schaeffer, who I get my oils and such for my commercial stuff. I get the commercial account pricing and it is brought to my place for free along with my commercial oil orders. Not dexos approved, but more than adequate. I just never even bothered to see what official dexos oils are priced at the stores. No real reason to waste my time driving to a retail store to get it. I just never got all caught up in the dexos approval game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back