best tool for stuck oil filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a couple out there, but i'm wondering if one works reliably with more than one SIZE of filter... or if all work as good or not.

I've now had several vehicles that the normal filter wrenches just are NOT getting the filters off - neither the end cap one, nor the ones that clip around the outside. Rubber strap wrenches wont work either.

The end cap ones in particular just slide internally (and in the past I had to get an aluminum deep end cap one, hammer it onto the filter, then I couldn't get it OFF the filter once I got it off - I still have it sitting in my garage with a filter still in it!) and the other ones either slip even if I stick sandpaper between there or the engine compartment configuration doesn't give me a good angle for leverage.

The natural question is why are you having so many stuck filters?

In recent years I've used a torque wrench to tighten filters. Before that I used to tighten only hand tight. And then any usual wrench will take it off.

I've only ever had one stuck filter (and I didn't put it on). I pounded a screw driver though it and turned the handle. An all or nothing approach - if that doesn't work you need a tow truck.

I buy many new cars.
I always hate the first oil change.
Most often the factory torques the [censored] out of them and I assume it is to stop DIY changes.
Some I had to use the tool where you remove the filter body and you install studs into the filter lid holes and unscrew.
A cap with prongs that allows you to ratchet off the filter disc.Horrible job.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
The natural question is why are you having so many stuck filters?

In recent years I've used a torque wrench to tighten filters. Before that I used to tighten only hand tight. And then any usual wrench will take it off.

I've only ever had one stuck filter (and I didn't put it on). I pounded a screw driver though it and turned the handle. An all or nothing approach - if that doesn't work you need a tow truck.

A little drop of oil on the gasket before yu fit it, and don't over tighten.

and
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
hammer and screwdriver

+1

+2

I swear by the end caps in the actual size match but think that vise grips of a larger size would be the second best option. It really depends on how your filter is oriented. My take is that end caps typically work better for vertically mounted filters and vice grip-like tools might work better when there's room to maneuver and you don't have to get under it.

Barring that, I've been known to use the screwdriver.

I've had the experience of the filter being "stuck" when it wasn't due to access and leverage issues, which may be at the heart of the problem if it's a recurring one.

Last edited:
Quit putting the filters on so tight! Finger tight, and then 1/2" more and I have no problems getting them off with any filter wrench.

The one filter I couldn't get off wound up getting torn apart until only the base plate was left. I put a screwdriver against the holes and tapped it until it came off. The last tap sent it spinning and it dropped right on my head. Insult to injury...

There's just no need to overtighten. I've never had a filter leak when tightened hand tight.

big vice grip thingy is the best.

You can also see if warming up the oil and car helps; (not so hot that you burn yourself)

hammer and screwdriver

+1

Have you guys done this? When I tried it the filter body just tore and I ended up with a hazardous waste environmental disaster.

Glue the end cap tool on. Its still worth the 3 bucks if you can't salvage it. Else you'll spend hours with a torn up filter.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I buy many new cars.
I always hate the first oil change.
Most often the factory torques the [censored] out of them and I assume it is to stop DIY changes.

You could be right. The only time I had to resort to a screw driver and hammer was on a new Ford Fiesta.

This thing is totally awesome.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-universal...p;mktRedirect=y
Best tool i've found. I've added a rubber band around the little lip on the claw arms and that snugs the claw in place in tight spaces. Works fantastically.

However, if you have had several cars with this problem, loosen up on the filters. They just need to get hand tight + 1/4 turn or so. It doesn't take much pressure to keep the filter on and sealed. I've actually just hand tightened them (very firmly) before in a pinch.

It depends on what access you have. With some filters there is something under the filter and you cannot get a cap wrench on. Other filters the end is facing you in an engine bay and you can only use a cap wrench, no band. And still other you cannot see (boat).

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Have you guys done this? When I tried it the filter body just tore and I ended up with a hazardous waste environmental disaster.

Glue the end cap tool on. Its still worth the 3 bucks if you can't salvage it. Else you'll spend hours with a torn up filter.

Yes.

You have to hammer it all the way in or most of the way in. At the very minimum, the entire head of the screwdriver (where it switches from a round pole to a flat head or plus-shape) must be inside the can.

(==)----------
all of the <||| part must be completely inside the can, if not a little more.

Originally Posted By: Olas

and
hammer and screwdriver

+1

+2

+3. Always works for me.

Originally Posted By: Olas

and
hammer and screwdriver

+1

+2

+ 4

I also agree to lube the gasket with oil prior to putting on. Twist it until the gasket meets the surface then give it 1/3-1/4 turn and call it a day. Too many people go ape $hit on it making it almost impossible to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back