My car just got totaled for the 2nd time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhhhhhh; my trusty old 1994 Corolla got rear ended last week and the adjuster came to my house and rendered it totaled again. Last year someone veered into my front passenger door through a double right turn. The funny thing is, cosmetically, both collisions produced damage that isn't that bad visually. I took the check on the last one and will do the same this time as junkyard parts are cheap and plentiful.

I don't know what the point of me posting about it is.......I guess, if you keep a car long enough and maintain it well, either rust in the rustbelt or bad drivers will take a car off the road long before fatal mechanical damage will (if you're not willing to fix it).

Off to the junkyard for a bumper cover and a rattle can paint job. Good as new. I still don't want to buy a new car.

I don't get it.If the insurance company calls it "Totalled",that means they give you market value for the car,and they own it.You don't.You would have to buy it back at a reduced price.In reality,Totalled for a 21 year old car doesn't mean much...a few hundred dollars?

Keep driving it! I had a beater Renault/AMC Alliance in the late '80s that was an idiot magnet, I ended making over $1500 off it, still ran when I sold it for what I paid for it!

They always give you 2 options; they keep it and cut you a check for the retail value, or you keep it and they cut you a check for retail less salvage. I chose the latter since it's just minor cosmetic damage. In both cases, light cosmetic damage each time as well over a thousand bucks. So in essence, I've made 2 grand from minor fender benders since fixing it myself with junkyard parts cost me under 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Some old vehicles are magnetic to others on the road, and pay off like slot machines. A friend of mine is still riding a motorcycle that he bought for $1000. It has been totalled 5 times, he has been paid about $8000 in insurance settlements. He probably has less than a grand in parts replaced. He would get rid of it.......But then he might have to get a job!

colorado springs, you say? Anything to do with stunned drivers into too much grass?

We had that here occasionally where stoned cheech and chong likes would hit cars, even parked along side streets (stationary) ......

Keep driving it.. and go for total # 3
grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Quest
colorado springs, you say? Anything to do with stunned drivers into too much grass?

We had that here occasionally where stoned cheech and chong likes would hit cars, even parked along side streets (stationary) ......

My boss and I were talking about that......we came to the conclusion that at any given time, roughly 10% of drivers are either drunk or hung over/still drunk from the previous evenings festivities, 25% are messed up on prescription pain/anxiety pills, and in Colorado, another 10 to 15% are stoned on legal weed. Add in texting/cell phones, and way over 50% of people on the roads have absolutely no business being behind the wheel.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
... you keep it and they cut you a check for retail less salvage. I chose the latter since it's just minor cosmetic damage.

Yeah that's what happened to me too - while I was in university. Driving an old Chevy II and rear ended while stopped by quite a new full size Buick that pushed me into the car in front. I got $300 and my damaged car back.

Fixed the wrinkle in the hood, straightened the aluminum grill (it looked perfect), and left the back bumper alone. Then drove it for 7 more years.

For those keeping score - the Buick was destroyed! Bet they wrote him it too.

Glad you are OK, thats the main thing.

keep it. that happened to the Sable in my sig. It was totaled yet still perfect to drive. we kept it, has a dent in the fender.
Perfect for the winter months!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If the insurance company totals your vehicle don't you end up with a salvage title?

Yes, I have it and the paperwork showing what happened. and liability is all you can get.

I had a '78 Buick Skyhawk as a beater car when I lived in New Jersey. I paid $900 for the car when I bought it. I was rear-ended twice, and got $1600 in insurance payments, and drove it for 3 more years, and sold it to a guy for $400. He drove it for 2 more years, then donated it to the local Fire Department. They used it to practice emergency procedures using the Jaws of Life. I got a kick out of it when the local paper ran pictures of them tearing the roof off my old Buick. That car lived a useful life.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If the insurance company totals your vehicle don't you end up with a salvage title?

Yes, I have it and the paperwork showing what happened. and liability is all you can get.

Not in all states - I had a previously totaled and repaired vehicle a few years ago and had no issues getting full coverage.

On a separate note, Scrap prices are so low these days, I bet the salvage value was minuscule! Do you mind saying what they "charged" you for keeping it?

Well it's not exactly hard to cause enough damage to total a 1994 vehicle. ANY VEHICLE, let alone a corolla.

So if you have a salvage vehicle and someone total it again, did you get a discounted payout or still a salvage value, which you have to pay that much to buy it back again?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My wife has had full coverage on a salvage car for almost 20 years.

You have to jump through all kinds of hoops in ma on a salvage title. You have to tow it to the state police for an inspection and they deny approval on a whim. There was an article recently on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back