Royal Purple 5w30 HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting... had I known about this sale, I would've purchased some for the Firebird. I still have some 5W-20 HPS and the 0W-20 API for the tC that I have yet to use, but I've heard great things about it (especially the HPS).

So what will the synerlec show up as on an analysis? Will it show up? There are certain people here who think if a uoa doesn't see it, it doesn't exist.

Too much antiquated thinking still prevalent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
So what will the synerlec show up as on an analysis? Will it show up? There are certain people here who think if a uoa doesn't see it, it doesn't exist.

I don't think synerlec is a metallic additive, so it shouldn't show up on the UOA. I'm mostly interested in the ZDDP contents as well as the moly and detergent package.

Some believe synerlec is a sulfurized Ester. I have no idea what exactly it is. I'm sure Soneone on this forum knows. Maybe they will share??

Last edited:

It shows up as sulphur (on a UOA/VOA that tests for it). Synerlec is a sulphated Ester.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
What do hope to get from a VOA ?

If he plans on doing any UOAs down the road, a VOA would be useful. I realize it's not as fashionable and nonsensical as switching from M1 0w-40 to TGMO 0w-20 to a Rotella 15w-40 and then to Red Line 5w-30 all in consecutive oil changes with consecutive UOAs.

Also, I bet many people here would like to see the VOA results, myself included.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
[
It shows up as sulphur (on a UOA/VOA that tests for it). Synerlec is a sulphated Ester.

Ive seen people here say its nothing more than a motor oil with gear oil additives. I'm not going to accept that as fact.

Sorry. But somebody has to refuse to join the cult. Might as well be me since I don't care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: panther427
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm interested in the additive package.

The oil does not "technically" meet OEM approvals for my application.

Please amuse me and tell me why you made the purchase ??

To confirm an ADD pack ??

Because its his money and car and he doesn't need your approval to feel good about it .

I'm curious to see what the voa looks like. Thank you

Exactly! And because this is BITOG and it's fun to try new oils.

Purchase was made to use in my vehicle as well as provide a VOA of a Top Tier product that has yet to be posted on the web.

Also Calumet, which owns RP is an Indiana headquartered company. I like to purchase products from companies that have headquarters or affiliations with my state.

This is way more explanation than is deserved, however being snarky never has gotten me anywhere anyway!

-Don

Who said he had to do anything other than answer a simple question.
A simple request.

How did needing my approval come into the equation ?
Are you trying to deflect the thought VOAs may be useless ?

Last edited:
I really cannot believe some of the snarky comments here. Do some of you people have to post something negative in EVERY thread? SMH.

Sorry. But somebody has to refuse to join the cult. Might as well be me since I don't care.

One of the RP HPS examples would be one of my first choices if I had your Vette, considering you want something with decent anti-wear capabilities along with long drain capabilities.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
I really cannot believe some of the snarky comments here. Do some of you people have to post something negative in EVERY thread? SMH.

Did you read the oil he purchased doesn't technically meet the specs for his vehicles application in the first page of this thread ?

If he's using it in his 2008 truck, it's not going to be much different from a specified oil. It'll have appropriate viscosity (including HTHS), with a little more phosphorous than originally envisioned. These oil is targeted at people who are out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If he's using it in his 2008 truck, it's not going to be much different from a specified oil. It'll have appropriate viscosity (including HTHS), with a little more phosphorous than originally envisioned. These oil is targeted at people who are out of warranty.

Correct, im not worried about using it in my 08 truck. I mailed off the sample for the VOA to Blackstone on Thursday so it should be in within a week or two
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Its alsways funny when people think they can gain any knowledge about how an oil will perform from VOA's.

So your approach is to read the back of the bottle then? Or are you offering to provide a better way, or just throwing stones.

OP, I will be interested in the results. I have always been neutral about it, hearing good things, and also hearing it's just oil with purple coloring. Thanks for spending your own money to offer the rest of us a little more insight into this oil.

In fairness, a VOA won't tell much about how an oil will perform, but some of us are curious about certain metallic additive levels. Also, if doing trended UOAs, it certainly helps to have a VOA at the outset.

If RP's HPS is similar to their old Synerlec oil,my 20W50 UOA showed these additives:

Moly-118
Zinc-1191
Phos-1161
Boron-32
Calcium-2801

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back