Pat Goss is an Idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealerships charge $100+ to "diagnose" an OBDII code. Then they charge to fix the problem they just charged you to find! Brought my car to a dealer, and never will again, and said, "drivers side caliper is sticking on the brake. Can you clean or replace? It's been a while since I've had brakes serviced." So, they did a brake job (fine by me, needed one soon) and charged me $70 to "diagnose the problem." I raged and told them to give me $140 back because I diagnosed the problem ($70 refund for the stupid charge and $70 to me for doing their diagnostic job). There are still a few good independents but dealerships are greed factories. They did take the $70 fee off as a courtesy. I also didn't lodge my foot in their rears as a courtesy. I'm thankful some independents still give free estimates.

Pat Goss had a good rep in the DC area back in the day when you would buy a new car and have major problems with it just out of the 12K warranty. My bro in law is a retired Prince George's County cop and used to take his late 1970's Malibu there to fix GMs lack of quality control. I disagree with what he said about the scanners, though. I have been able to fix every issue I ever had by scanning the code and getting on the car forums and seeing how to fix it. There are a lot of talented people on some of these forums.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Goss does what his handlers tell him to do.

Radio/Magazine/TV/Newspaper/... writers/mechanics/personalities do nothing for me. Some are idiots or just clueless. Many are simply paid by whoever the sponsor flavor of the month is.

I've dealt with the local equivalent and I would certified the local as an idiot. Haven't met Goss but not impressed by the show.

Haven't watched/heard/read Goss in a long time but always get a good laugh at picking 'em apart when someone leaves it on.

Usually the newspaper and radio show mechanics,... spend time pushing their 'shop', or a product, while scaring consumers into not doing a DIY thing.

He is no different than anyone else. He's saying what his employers are telling him to say,according to the specific agenda.
It's the same in politics,the politicians do what they are told by the people who pay the bills. It's fun to blame any specific person however only a fool believes they have an actual choice.
Did you know obamacare was originally drafted by the republicans and Romney was going to implement it if he was elected.
When a small group of people pull all the strings everyone under them does their dance. So in this case he's a shill however he isn't wrong. Most stuff under the hood today is beyond the grasp of most drivers. And for the most part he's historically been very good in helping motorists fix their cars themselves.
Follow the money. See who pays his bills,then his words make much more sense.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: user52165
Pat Goss is an Idiot

Since you sit around watching him on the idiot box, what does that tell people about you?

What does it say about a person who calls TV an idiot box. Why does one become an idiot because they watch tv.
There's much more on tv than typical network nonsense,perhaps educating yourself on the possibilities is more prudent,and less like an idiot action vs just making a broad judgement based on few facts and a mind so narrow an ant can't u-turn.

Most dealers who charge for diagnosing a problem, use the charge for part of the payment if they fix the problem. That is a legitimate way for service people to charge people who want to SCAM them by, using their tools/shops, pay nothing, and go somewhere else to fix it. I see no issues with charging a reasonable sum for reading an error code for me.

Don't know if he's an idiot. Do know in one segment about oil filters, he apparently didn't know the difference between the adbv and the bypass.

Never much cared for Pat. IMO, he seems frequently to shill for his show sponsors in his segments. Something less than an independent evaluation and opinion. Because of that take what he says with a grain of salt.

Obviously Pat Goss is the ultimate troll because your still talking about him.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Goss does what his handlers tell him to do.

Radio/Magazine/TV/Newspaper/... writers/mechanics/personalities do nothing for me. Some are idiots or just clueless. Many are simply paid by whoever the sponsor flavor of the month is.

I've dealt with the local equivalent and I would certified the local as an idiot. Haven't met Goss but not impressed by the show.

Haven't watched/heard/read Goss in a long time but always get a good laugh at picking 'em apart when someone leaves it on.

Usually the newspaper and radio show mechanics,... spend time pushing their 'shop', or a product, while scaring consumers into not doing a DIY thing.

He is no different than anyone else. He's saying what his employers are telling him to say,according to the specific agenda.
It's the same in politics,the politicians do what they are told by the people who pay the bills. It's fun to blame any specific person however only a fool believes they have an actual choice.
Did you know obamacare was originally drafted by the republicans and Romney was going to implement it if he was elected.
When a small group of people pull all the strings everyone under them does their dance. So in this case he's a shill however he isn't wrong. Most stuff under the hood today is beyond the grasp of most drivers. And for the most part he's historically been very good in helping motorists fix their cars themselves.
Follow the money. See who pays his bills,then his words make much more sense.
A PLAN was kicked about in GOP think tanks, it WASN'T Obamacare. The plan the Democrat legislature enacted in Massachusetts would have been cheaper as a nation wide system, but it was still breaking the Massachusetts bank before the "subsidy" came along.

Exactly what does Obamacare has to do with Pat Goss? Some of you just seem to be completely obsessed with bringing politics in to every single topic and then have the audacity to run to their mod mommies to get the topic locked up.

Grow the heck up!!

Goss ticked me off also about the cheap code reader comment. I saw the mentioned show. The cheap code readers are highly useful in my opinion. No doubt the professional reader are more useful but can't justify the thousand of dollars expense.

Last edited:
95% of people have no clue and shouldn't try to diagnose a problem. This includes people who throw parts at a problem.

Many of the members on this site are part of the 95%.....

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Goss ticked me off also about the cheap code reader comment. I saw the mentioned show. The cheap code readers are highly useful in my opinion....

Yep, my Actron Pocket scan has saved me money and aggravation over the years.

Read the Nissan 0420 which with minimal google search combined with symptoms of sudden significant oil consumption, talk with parts manager, identified Nissan failed precats and quickly disposed of said vehicle never to return to Nissan.

Read Civic P1361, a quick google search combined with symptoms, engine suddenly quits, bad TDC/camshaft position sensor. Diy replacement, saw on youtube comment where dealer got ~$550 for it. Not from me.

And last time, gas cap apparently not tightened enough after fill up. Able to reset dash Fuel Cap Light and code without waiting for it to go out some time later.

Handy little tools. But I don't believe Actron is one of Pat's sponsors.

Not to be Mr. Positive here but I will tell you what I do like...............All Girls Garage.

I've only seen it a few times but Fantom Works is probably my favorite. Here's their site:

http://fantomworks.com/

Last edited:
Pat Goss is continually railing about "codes" and how useless they are. Don't you have to, at least, read the code to see what the car's computer is complaining about?

As to fantomworks, if you pay attention the to customer summary at the end of the show as to parts and hours they put in - their final cost is actually reasonable. I think their hourly labor rate works out to less than $100/hr which is less than my Lexus dealer charges.

Originally Posted By: eric4ok
Pat Goss is continually railing about "codes" and how useless they are. Don't you have to, at least, read the code to see what the car's computer is complaining about?

Ever since the mid 80s on Fords (EEC IV), and the early 80s on GMs (C3), the first step I take in an engine performance diag is "pull the codes". Just common sense. Takes 30 seconds and can sometimes give you a lead. Absolutely mandatory since OBDII became the standard, and not just on engine complaints. ABS and body control modules generate codes that can help a tech narrow down an electrical gremlin.

Goss is Goss. He is a talking head........... 50% truth, 50% [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back