Autotrak smurf fluid turned black

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 100k I changed out the smurf fluid on my 2005 Silverado and if I remember right it was still blue. This time at 150k it is very black. Does anyone know if that is somewhat normal or is it burning up something? I use my 4X4 almost every weekend. Both the oci were 50k.

That describes exactly how I found mine too. My truck is mint and well maintained. I do not use the auto-trac (I hard set the 4wd in or 2wd, never use 4-low) but my wife loves it. So she uses it maybe 3 times per year and she drives very carefully and not abusive. When my truck hit 80k (kms so 50k miles the factory OCI) and I dumped the fluid, was I ever shocked to find it black as well. There is nothing wrong with my transfer case and / or the auto-trac function but previous 4wd GM's I have owned with the strictly manual transfer case that uses regular Dextron, the ATF that has come out was like brand new. I wish I knew what the auto-trac elixir was exactly so I would have alternatives to use but until I figure that out, I use the OEM GM fluid. I get it on sale for around $5 or $6 / litre so it doesn't matter too much that I am bound to using it.

I used to do the 3k engine 30k drivetrain oci then have moved on to 10k and 50k oci's. I think I'll go back to 30k on the transfer case at least. The diff's looked good at 50k. I'll have to look for that Valvoline product. I though smurf fluid was only the GM stuff.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
My 2011 Silverado has autotrack but I am fairly certain it secs dex vi.

Some where around 07 is when they started putting dex6 in transfer cases, its a different style case as well, up until then however if you had an auto transfer case it was filled with smurf blood

Here is some previous, inconclusive discussion: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2591382
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Either change it out earlier, or try something else...
http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/au...sfer-case-fluid

Hmm... while Valvoline has a certified ATF on the Center for QA official list, this "meets atf+4" fluid is not on the list. Is there a similar list for GM Auto Trak II fluid?

I don't see the point in chancing a different fluid unless there's some assurance that something is going to be better. In this case the "Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid" does not say it is Fully Synthetic, but it does say it meets ATF+4 as well as GM Auto Trak II... but Valvoline's ATF+4 product DOES say Fully Synthetic.

I like Valvoline products in general but this one does not fill me with confidence. I would either go with OEM, OEM approved, or find something that was Fully Synthetic (the definition of which is still up to debate).

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
My 2011 Silverado has autotrack but I am fairly certain it secs dex vi.

Yes, the transfer case on your 2011 Silverado specs Dexron VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back