P1's for birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father gave me several Purolater P1 filters far my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder for my birthday. More than a year ago I switched to Fram Ultras for fear of the Puro tear issue. So are these filters good to go now or should I avoid them?

I wouldn't use a Purolator oil filter (made in the last few years) on any vehicle I cared about.

Well, although I have been a bit concerned about the PURO filter of late but, I am still using them and cutting them open after each OCI. They've all been fine!

I think that Purolator has gotten the message though, there may be many flawed filter still on store shelves.

Explain the issue to the giver and try to exchange them for known good product that they sell. They don't want to give you problem gifts. Fram Ultra seems to be the hands down winner for the price. I found a defect in the ADBV in a Purolator made filter, and that means there are a lot of others. Once you have been bitten, you realize the QC problem is real and you don't need to be a guinea pig for a company that refuses to admit a problem.
Score one free Ultra for me.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
Dino oil, 4-5K should not be a problem. I wouldn't go 10K with them.

If they are going to tear, it will be well before 5K miles. It's caused by the way the pleats are configured, not by how long they are used. Many had reported tears with less than 5k miles on them.

The Sreadsheet of Tears

use them. there has been lots of FUD posted on this forum against purolator by a small sect of fanatics. enjoy.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: sir1900
The Pathfinders spec 14610, therefore I would avoid them.
Why?

Quite a few torn 14610s. Can't recommend until I see improvements.

Have a look at the Zee's post above to see what I mean.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
use them. there has been lots of FUD posted on this forum against purolator by a small sect of fanatics. enjoy.

Yes, please use Purolators even though the one for your particular application is one of the worst offenders for torn media.

It is not FUD when the evidence is documented, captain. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

LOL ... yeah, it's all a conspiracy. They send out little gremlins to jump inside Purolator oil filters and tear the media.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Do you have an enemy that you absolutely hate? Set these on his porch and run.

Do I ring the doorbell and set the bag on fire as well?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Do you have an enemy that you absolutely hate? Set these on his porch and run.

Do I ring the doorbell and set the bag on fire as well?

No, you want him to use it on his car for maximum destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back