Post your latest small engine oil change

Originally Posted By: stchman
I have pretty much the identical mower (GCV160 engine) and the owner's manual calls for 10W-30 to be used and 5W-30 for colder climates. You can use what you want, but you are using a non-recommended viscosity.

Yes sir, you are 100% correct. But over the years i've found that most OPE (at least in my trade) will be wore out body-wise before the engine dies anyway. By using a xW-40 HDEO I buy one oil and use it in everything with a small engine. (Z-turn, backup rider, 2-21" mowers, chonda generator, daughter's dirt bike, 2 Honda scooters, etc.)

Small engines these days will run for years with dang near anything in the sump, whether it be an HDEO or SuperTech 10W-30, PYB, etc.

My Honda HRR216VKA pictured above - the rest of the mower will wear out before the engine gives up the ghost, and i'd bet money on that. lol

My main reasoning over the years for the 40-weight is that being an air cooled engine in 95+ deg. F weather with marginal cooling - I feel safer using this over a 30-weight.

Silly? Maybe.
Ever let me down? Not yet.

If it works, don't fix it. (alright, i'm guilty of over-thinking this stuff, i'm a BITOG'er)
smile.gif

Last edited:
New to me 2000 John Deere 345, Kawasaki FD611v 20 HP liquid cooled. 402 hours. out: unknown In: NAPA 30 wt HD With a NAPA gold filter.

Second oil change for my Troy-Bilt snow blower. Out went Shell Rotella T 10W-30 after ~9 hours and in went the same. I'll run this 25+ hours this winter. The previous Rotella oil replaced the unknown factory oil after ~2 hours, which was real dark and slightly silver. No metal color in this drain.

Whimsey

Bought a 20 year old JD 320. 18hp Kawasaki Twin that is liquid cooled. It takes two quarts.

I decided to give it a flush.....so I drained and poured in two quarts of 5w20....and ran her for about an hour, with light mowing. I drained the oil and changed the filter and poured in one quart of M1 0w40 and one quart of M1 0w20.....just cause I had them on hand. This M1 soup of 0w30 has been awesome. She starts easy and runs smooth.

I have 2 acres to mow and will keep this oil in until late fall, drain and refill with the same for the winter, as the tractor becomes my snow plow. When we come back around to the spring and I change the oil again (I change every 6 months), My summer oil will probably be Rotella 15w40 or 10w30.

21o23b4.jpg

New Champion J19LM spark plug
New Briggs & Stratton 491588S air filter
Fresh oil: Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30
Sharpened blade.
Adding gas with about 250:1 TCW3 treatment

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
21o23b4.jpg

New Champion J19LM spark plug
New Briggs & Stratton 491588S air filter
Fresh oil: Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30
Sharpened blade.
Adding gas with about 250:1 TCW3 treatment

So........did it start?

old Roper push mower that sat for 8 years outside with a B&S engine, 1st change Napa 30wt sn, second change a couple days later after running for a while was Sinclair 15W-40 HDEO, the oil is black as tar a week later, will probably drain and fill again to get out what all the new oil cleaned up, will refill with Sinclair 15W-40 HDEO

Intek206 5.5hp repowered log splitter
Out: amsoil "act" 10w-30; 45-50hrs
In: M1 EP 0w-20
A) new prince auto-cycle valve and fresh ATF/filter

1988 LawnChief 20".mower. B&S 3hp
Out: M1 EP 0w-20; 15hour hank hill oci
In: same as drain

-Harvey

2015 Gravely 52 with Kaw FS

Out: SuperTech 30/Kaw Filter
In: Amsoil Four Stroke/Fran Ultra

Hrs on Oil: 11
Hrs on Engine: 21

Next change will be at 100 engine hours.

New to me 1979 Wheel Horse C141 w/ Kohler K321 out .. new looking oil.... in Valvoline PB 15W40.. Hydrostat out, new looking oil, in Super Tech 10W40, and new filter, changed often. I may switch to syn here too, haven't decided yet.
Husqvarna tractor w/ 27hp B&S V-twin out VPB 15W40 in same.. Hydrostat gets Mobil 1 15W50 and new filter every other year. I think a syn is worth it here, big time.
Troybilt push mower out Rotella 30wt in same
New to me, older Craftsman 5/24 snow blower w/ 5hp Tecumseh, out old oil, in Rotella T5 10W30

I hate to keep records of small engine oil changes, so here's my new regime. If it has an oil filter, I write it on the filter , date, hours, oil and filter. The Husqvarna is the only one with a filter. Filtered engines get either 15W40, 30wt or syn 10W30 or Xw40. I feel it might be worth the extra cost for a syn in this engine. But since I change oil way more than is necessary, I tend to go for the cheaper 15W40 or 30wt.

If it has no filter, 15w40, 30wt or 10w30 depending on climate. Here again, I change my oil 3 or 4 times more often than necessary, so it isn't practical to use synthetic. Also, no oil filter and fuel dilution don't make syn practical. My old Wheel Horse is a keeper, someone loved it and took excellent care of it. I will change often and use either 15w40 or 30 wt.

I take care of my stuff, rebuild it, restore it, whatever, and I will change oil more often, and use a bit cheaper oil. If I were going to go the distance and try to get every drop of value out of my stuff, I'd put syn in the Husqvarna and run it as long as I could on an oil change, but to me, it's better to change often and use regular oil.

It's been said here a lot, keeping oil, any oil, in OPE, at the proper level, and changing it will do more for longevity than all the putzing over what oil to use. Believe me, I've done some of that putzing. The up shot is, that you almost never hear of an oil related engine failure, in a well maintained engine.

Well you guys are gonna be excited, a couple hours ago I drained the four year old M1 0W-40 from my GCV160 Honda and refilled with same... I swear it runs smoother and with less vibration(oh gawd I'm becoming a BITOGite)...

Generic Chinese Generator, Briggs single cylinder OHV clone
Out: QS Defy 10W-40
In: Same

Oil held up much better to fuel dilution than did the Peak Conventional.

Wheelhorse w/tiller k-series
Out: unknown oil and hours
In: pub all gold 15w-40 and mmo

21" mtd mower. [censored] 300series 4.5ft/lbs
Out: m1 ep 0w -20 and mmo; 10hr flush fill
In: same as drain

Brave industries splitter. Intek206 5.5hp repower in 2004
Out: amsoil "WTC" 10w-30, 50hrs
In: M1 ep 0w-20 and mmo
New prince autocycle valve, Purolator filter, and maxlife atf.

-harvey

EM40
Out: "AME" 15w-40 and mmo; 2.5hr flush fill
In: Amsoil "HDD" 5w-30

EM400
Out: qsud 0w-20, and mmo; 150hrs
In: amsoil "HDD" 5w-30

Coleman Maxa3500 Tecumseh ohh195 5.5hp. Well I've 1,000hrs
Out: M1 ep 0w-20, hyper, and mmo; 72hrs, 24/7
In: M1 15w50, never stored below 45-50 degrees.

-harvey

John Deere LX289 429 hrs
Out: Royal Purple 5w-30 and Mobil 1 oil filter
In: Amsoil XL 5w-30 and Napa Gold/Wix oil filter

Back