Oil Temp difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory Fill 212 degrees F

Mobil 1 219 degrees F

Outside temp 67 degrees. Just came off highway 70 mph cruise control. Never check it all the time but never noticed it above 212 before. Does that make sense to be higher with the Mobil 1?

Last edited:
Not sure what the FF was or the viscosity but I put in the recommended 5w20.

I would be curious to know what the pressure is on any other 2014 Rams with 5.7 hemi would be.

I'd attribute it to the normal swings in coolant temp seen in some engines (others control it more tightly I've noticed).
Don't think there is much if any difference between the conductivity or specific heat capacity of mineral oil vs. full syn.
Could be something going on with friction modifier differences though, maybe. Wow, tough one.

Wow, in thermal conductivity of synthetic vs. mineral oil, synthetics do have a higher thermal conductivity. As the synthetic oil carries away slightly more heat, and drips down into the sump, the anti-freeze coolant will get a little less heat, not more.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Synthetic lubricants have a slightly higher thermal conductivity than do their mineral oil counterparts.

The calculations below were done for a majority PAO lubricant verses a mineral oil:

Originally Posted By: From Mola's 7/02 thread

Using the Heat Conduction formula:

H = kA(To-Ti/L),

where H is heat Power in W.m, k is heat conduction coefficient in W/meter-squared/C, and temps in C. The k for synthetic oil is 0.16 and k for dino is 0.128, To is temp out of a journal bearing = 100 C, and Ti was oil temp into bearing = 80C, representing a temp rise of 20C, which is a rule of thumb. L is the thickness of the oil film which is on the order of 1um at high loads. A is area of film assumed to be a patch of area of 1 mm squared.

Hs = conductive heat transfer of synthetic oil in W = 3200 W,
Hd = conductive heat transfer of dino (mineral oil) in W = 2560 W.

Therefore, synthetic oil is 20% more efficient at conductive heat transfer than mineral oil.

The same film thickness for both dino's and synth's was used for the calculations.

Also see:

Gear Tribology and Lubrication II

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rojack
I would be curious to know what the pressure is on any other 2014 Rams with 5.7 hemi would be.

That comes up on the Challenger forums all the time- seems like a lot of Challenger drivers are ex-Bowtie owners and freak that the 5.7/6.4 develop more than 30 PSI- they're constantly asking if they should take it to the dealer and get the "high" oil pressure fixed. :-/

My 6.4 runs right at 58 PSI cruising on the highway when hot- peaks at about 60-62 when running up through the gears. When cold, the peak is still only about 70 PSI (using spec'd M1 0w40). The 5.7 Challenger guys report maybe 5 PSI lower with the recommended 5w20. I think the Ram engines are the same in this regard.

In contrast, my 08 Ram's 4.7 will hit nearly 100 PSI cold, and cruises at 70 PSI when fully hot with 5w20.

The Pentastar v6 is interesting because the powertrain computer actually regulates the oil pressure on a temperature/throttle/RPM schedule by regulating the displacement of a variable-displacement oil pump. Until the oil is warm it will apply the full oil pump capacity and pressures run up to ~80 PSI in normal driving. Once the oil is hot, the computer throttles the oil pump back to a regulated 40 PSI at anything below 3500 RPM, though it drops to around 20-30 at idle. Above 3500 and with some throttle opening, it goes back to full displacement on the oil pump and you get 75-80 PSI hot.

Back to the temperature question- my 6.4 runs at a pretty predictable 220F oil temp. Push it a bit and it will move up to 230, but unless its a short trip it will always reach at least 215 to 220, even in the middle of winter. In the Challenger application, the 5.7s seem to run a bit cooler according to folks' forum reports, which I attribute to the fact they use 5w20 oil instead of the thicker 0w40. They also don't have an oil cooler, which in the Challenger's 6.4 mostly serves as an oil warmer in light-duty driving.

At 213f my charger has 24psi at idle. 50 pounds at 70mph which is 2000rpmish with 0w-40 in the sump.
With a 20 grade I lose 5psi across the board.

Just curious if this a temperature in the sump or some other place? The 103C (212F) is really high. I would not use dyno oil there...

Originally Posted By: timeau
Just curious if this a temperature in the sump or some other place? The 103C (212F) is really high. I would not use dyno oil there...

Don't know where you get that info but 212 is barely even beginning to be hot in my world...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Don't know where you get that info but 212 is barely even beginning to be hot in my world...

Yeah, 212 oil is nothing. My SBC road race car would see 300F oil on dino 20W-50 with no ill effects. 270F or below was optimal.

Originally Posted By: Rojack
Factory Fill 212 degrees F

Mobil 1 219 degrees F

Outside temp 67 degrees. Just came off highway 70 mph cruise control. Never check it all the time but never noticed it above 212 before. Does that make sense to be higher with the Mobil 1?

With so many variables at play a difference of 7 F° I would not consider significant.
I don't thick it's related but it's worth noting that M1 5W-20 with it's HTHS viscosity of 2.75cP is heavier than most other 5W-20s and 0W-20s and
undoubtedly the FF.
Next oil change you may want to try a lighter 5W-20 with a more typical HTHSV of 2.6cP or even M1 0W-20 to see if that makes a difference.

Disagree. 212 is just right. Oil doesn't start to suffer until a lot higher, and at 200-240F the additives are well-activated and its hot enough to drive out volatile contaminants readily (fuel, water, acid-formers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back