Clay bar and wax car after automated wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any issues with running your car through one of those automated $6 washes and then bringing it back home to clay bar and wax?

AFAIK, the local $6 wash is only a soap and rinse without any spray on waxes/protectants. I know the best thing is doing a hand wash but that isn't feasible at the moment. There also aren't any DIY car washes in my area.

Last edited:
Depending on how far you have to go, you pick up dust and debris on your drive home is all that comes to mind. You want the clay bar to be making contact with a clean surface.

Have you considered doing a rinse-less wash? I use Optimum No Rinse. The stuff works great and is meant for people like yourself. A little bit goes a long way.

Link...

ONR

Last edited:
No problem with it.
It's just whether the "automated" one is maintained properly so it does not scratching your car. Or on the flipside does the $6 actually gets your car clean or not.

There's going to be residue, but that's what your clay is for anyway.

Are there full service car washes in your area with better equipment then the "automated ones"? Most of them have an exterior only wash for perhaps $8/$10.

The extra $2 or $4 maybe worth it to go through better equipment or handwash

Not a good idea -- the automated washes do not get the car completely clean, and it is very likely that you will pick up some leftover dirt/debris with your clay and potentially marr/swirl up your finish further.

I would touch less wash the car and follow up with ONR or D114 before clawing.

There is no way I'd do anything to my paint after going through the touchless ( or any!) car wash. Those usually leave a thin amount of dirt on the car..sometimes I could write my name in the residue left after one of those washes.

If you care anough to clay and wax your car, why not first properly hand wash it?

If you want to run it through a car wash, first, to get the bulk of the soil off before you go home and hand wash, that's fine.

Quote:
Are there any issues with running your car through one of those automated $6 washes and then bringing it back home to clay bar and wax?

Yes there are, it is an extremely bad idea. As Critic pointed out those never actually clean the surface, they just rinse it off. You will be grinding dirt right into the paint making it worse off than before.

I have had good luck with the Chemical Guys Eco smart waterless wash and wax. $20 for a 16 oz concentrated bottle makes 2 gallons when you dilute with distilled water. You could run through the auto wash first to get the major stuff off, then take it home and do a waterless wash to get it good and clean, ready for clay bar. Hmm, I wonder if you could even use the waterless wash as a clay lube... Anyway, after claying, you would want to wash again before applying a good sealant or wax.

NO! Don't do this...You need to at least do a rinseless wash before claying...even that is debatable. I've used ONR...now I'm using Garry dean's detail juice. You mix .5 oz with 1 gallon of distilled water. I've yet to use a garden hose on my new ride and it still looks as good as the day I drove it home. I also use the detail spray as a clay lube...the lubricants in the spray greatly reduce any swirls/scratches induced by claying...in theory if the surface it's perfectly clean you wouldn't need to clay.but since clay will remove bonded particles you want as much lubrication as possible(giggity). Especially if not following up with a polisher once claying has been performed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back