2008 Honda CR-V at 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice write up, Hokie. Glad you are enjoying your Honda.

I feel the same way about my Camaro SS convertible with +50rwhp in mods. I grin every time.

Nice write-up. Honestly Id hope a car that young and low of mileage would be in pretty good shape, particularly if well taken care of like it seems that you have.

You got the right one. We liked that style, but the subsequent ones not as much. Keep it going and Im sure it will be great for another 100k!

Good luck!

Good review Hokie. I'm coming up on 150k with the Accord and will write up a review in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Looking good! The CR-V and the Toyota equivalent (I forget)is at the top of the list for my next vehicle. I challenge someone with a Ford Escape with 100,000+ miles to do an impartial review.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Looking good! The CR-V and the Toyota equivalent (I forget)is at the top of the list for my next vehicle. I challenge someone with a Ford Escape with 100,000+ miles to do an impartial review.

it has been done on this site of all places.

Well, it's a bit bittersweet, but we are officially no longer Honda owners...at least for a few days here. We sold our CR-V last night, with 103,323 miles on the odometer. An opportunity came up to buy a 2009 Ridgeline from my brother, who is the second owner -- the original owner is his father-in-law. So that vehicle has been in the family since it was purchased new. I have always liked Ridgelines, but would never have bought one at the prices they fetch on the market. But my brother and I have traded cars a number of times in the past, and neither one of us could ever buy the cars for what we pay for them from each other, so we've both enjoyed good vehicles at good prices in the past -- the Ridge will just keep in that tradition. So it's an opportunity we felt we couldn't let slip by.

It's interesting, the auto shipping business. I didn't order (or pay extra for) an enclosed carrier, but that's what I got. This guy apparently hauls Teslas from the Nevada factory back east, and he had two P85s on his carrier (according to my bro). I'm glad that he could use my Ridge to fill his trailer! So it'll be traveling in covered style coming across the country from Arizona to North Carolina. It was picked up yesterday afternoon and he plans to be here on Saturday afternoon. I really lucked up with that deal.

IMG_20150730_061335_01.jpeg

IMG_20150730_061344_01.jpeg

IMG_20150730_061347_01.jpeg

I'd be interested to hear about the differences between the CRV and Ridgeline. After a few weeks in my 06 150k mile CRV, I found it does the "job" well enough, and is solid and tight with most of the interior still close to new. It is what I expect from a Honda, but the mechanicals are too tuned for soccer mom duty for my preference.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd be interested to hear about the differences between the CRV and Ridgeline. After a few weeks in my 06 150k mile CRV, I found it does the "job" well enough, and is solid and tight with most of the interior still close to new. It is what I expect from a Honda, but the mechanicals are too tuned for soccer mom duty for my preference.

I will certainly comment on the Ridgeline after I have it for a while but, as its chassis is so similar to the MDX we already have, and as I have driven it before, I can make some brief comparisons.

First, I have no complaints with the CR-V itself. I think the interior held up well for 100k miles (the only visible wear being the outboard leather on the driver's seat). It still drove extremely tight -- it would change direction like a fly, and was extremely nimble. I will say that this nimbleness is what originally drew me to the CR-V, but over the last year or so, I was beginning to prefer something a little less "edgy". The CR-V is a relative light weight for the interior room that it has (only 3,500# fully dressed with AWD), and that delivers handling benefits but there are NVH drawbacks.

In comparison to the CR-V, our MDX feels like it was chiseled out of a single billet of steel. It's just solid. Its chassis is completely different from the CR-V in execution, and you can really tell that it weighs 4,500# instead of 3,500#. There are, of course, pros and cons to that weight difference. The primary drawbacks are that it doesn't feel as light on its feet and fuel economy obviously suffers. Benefits to a heavier structure include NVH improvements, generally safer physics in a crash, etc.

What components matter to any one person will obviously vary -- evidenced by the different types of vehicles one can buy. I appreciate the benefits of small cars, and have driven small(ish) vehicles for a little while now (Corolla, then Camry, then CR-V). This, coming from two Cadillacs and an '80s Oldsmobile. I grew up on larger cars and it seems to be to where I'm heading again. My preferences are changing some, and that's probably due to any number of factors.

(One factor that's crept up on me that probably sounds silly: the CR-V's seats are so body-hugging, with good side bolsters, that I found that I couldn't comfortably wear my pistol while driving it. The MDX has wider seats that aren't as contoured, and I can wear my pistol comfortably in that vehicle. The Ridgeline's seats are nearly identical to the MDX's, so they'll be similar there.)

I guess I said all that to say that there wasn't anything mechanically wrong with the CR-V...no objective reason we were selling it...and, for that, it felt weird -- as if we were doing it for no good reason. Not having its replacement yet feels odd, but I'm sure we'll really enjoy the Ridgeline. It will not drive as nimble as the CR-V, and it won't be as efficient as the CR-V. But I love the concept of the Ridgeline (always have), I really enjoy Honda's SUV chassis and powertrain, and I think I'll have fun trying something with an open box on the back again. However, to be honest, the fact that I can essentially trade vehicles for little out of pocket was a huge driver here. Had this opportunity not come up, I'd probably still be in the CR-V for many years to come (but perhaps looking for some softer springs or dampers!).

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Ridgeline is a Honda Odyssey.

...that you can spray out after a trip to the beach or the trash dump!
smile.gif

I was all ready to comment on your CRV thread and now I see that it has become a Ridgeline thread.
grin2.gif

Congratulations and I'm looking forward to seeing the Ridgeline.

Ridgeline was built off the first generation Acura MDX.

Originally Posted By: RichR

Ridgeline was built off the first generation Acura MDX.

Yes, the Ridgeline appears to share a ton in common with our 2005 MDX. The Pilot and MDX are loosely based in concept on the Odyssey, but they incorporated an integral boxed frame for chassis rigidity (which the Odyssey does not have). You can't separate the body from the frame after assembly, but there is the concept of a "rolling chassis" here:

38816d1354156908-does-anyone-make-strut-bars-subframe-connector-pilots-frame.jpg

There's not really a lot shared with the Odyssey, though that is a popular misconception. The Ridgeline's chassis really does seem to be a "hybrid" of a boxed ladder frame and a unibody...like a Pilot or an MDX, you can't "unbolt" the body from the frame, but structural "frame" pieces created separate from the unibody (and joined during assembly) do exist.

112_0602_11z_toty_2006_honda_ridgeline_frame.jpg

The Ridgeline also shares a unique rear suspension setup. The MDX, Pilot, and Odyssey at the time all shared a similar rear spring/damper package: a coil spring with bump stop in the center sat on one of the rear lateral arms, and a separate shock absorber attached to the knuckle. The Ridgeline uses a unique coil-over-shock design that apparently increases payload and better controls suspension movement.

I got the Ridgeline on Saturday, and have been doing a lot of cleaning over the weekend. My brother or his father-in-law, the original owner are not quite as careful with their vehicles as I am, so there are some things I need to polish out. There's a small dent on the driver's side that I will try to pull out. Some areas need some touch up paint. I'd consider it a typical used vehicle that perhaps has a bit more refreshening than average before it could be put on a retail lot for sale.

That stuff is fun to me, though. I don't intend to continue this in this thread...when I'm ready to post some pictures and initial thoughts, I'll start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back