SuperTech Synthetic - Now Dexos 1 Approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ram01
That's nice but I still wouldn't put that oil in my Tahoe
frown.gif

dexos is specifically designed for GM cars...

I ran ST Synthetic 5w-20 in my 03 Crown Vic once. At 4k miles I changed it out due the car burning a quart every 1,500 miles. Switched to PYB and it went beck to the usual quart every 3k.

frown.gif

That's OK- I'll put in my 2011 Silverado that probably has the same motor as your Tahoe!

I've tended to avoid the smaller-name oils like SuperTech in favor of the Mobil1, Quaker, Pennz, Valvo, Castrol big-company named oils, hoping quality-consistency control was somehow better at the big companies. You never can tell though, could be SuperTech is very consistent, and we know its got decent tribology behind it if they are consistent in production that is.

I went on line and saw the Warren NE facility located in West Virginia ...Quite an operation ! I also like and do use the big name oil company products as well but I like to try Supertech at a minimum as a top off oil and more recently for big sump fills in a Chevy TB (7 qrt sump) used as a daily beater .

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Dexos is specifically designed as a GM tax on all of us. PCMO manufacturers have apparently chosen to cave. Terrific.

We have enough other good specs that easily meet the ho-hum needs of ho-hum GM vehicles. We have enough other specs period.

Originally Posted By: B20z

Dexos is specifically designed as a GM tax on all of us. PCMO manufacturers have apparently chosen to cave. Terrific.

We have enough other good specs that easily meet the ho-hum needs of ho-hum GM vehicles. We have enough other specs period.

The person I replied to with that comment drives a GM vehicle, and Walmart probably got a good discount on the fees.

Now I do agree with you that GM is being greedy by charging for the dexos license and that it's mainly a cash grab.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I thought the WNE stamp indicated Warren Nebraska.

Back around the turn of the century I was dealing, I think, with ebay and dealt with the postal code NE.....I just couldn't figure it out... Me and some friends swore it meant New England. This coming from a guy who knew all states and their capitals in elementary school.

Supertech is a fine oil
got it in the fusion right now. My wife's xa had 140k mostly on st Dino and was set to double that till it got totaled in a wreck.
If I didn't keep bumping into all these clearances and super sales from time to time, id run st exclusively. My vehicals would live just as long too.
Ofcourse I'm over the extended oci thing or it might be different.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I totally applaud mfrs offering good solid oils without the marketing and hype that you pay for in the form of higher prices…….just……..can't………do…….Walmart. I'd prob buy that stuff if it were offered somewhere else tho.

Napa has a sale on their house brand synthetic a few times a year. It's rebranded Synpower.

The Walmart synthetic is most likely rebottled Mag 1 synthetic, or very close to it. Or any other house brand synthetism with WNE/WPP on the bottom of the bottle.

Amazon has them at a great price. And unlike the private-label WPP synthetics, the "name brand" Mag 1 syn comes in clear bottles!!!!
happy2.gif

The mag 1 in the clear bottles is not dexos approved. They have a separate dexos approved synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I totally applaud mfrs offering good solid oils without the marketing and hype that you pay for in the form of higher prices…….just……..can't………do…….Walmart. I'd prob buy that stuff if it were offered somewhere else tho.

Napa has a sale on their house brand synthetic a few times a year. It's rebranded Synpower.

The Walmart synthetic is most likely rebottled Mag 1 synthetic, or very close to it. Or any other house brand synthetism with WNE/WPP on the bottom of the bottle.

Amazon has them at a great price. And unlike the private-label WPP synthetics, the "name brand" Mag 1 syn comes in clear bottles!!!!
happy2.gif

The mag 1 in the clear bottles is not dexos approved. They have a separate dexos approved synthetic oil.

If you get ahold of the wpp msds for supertech its the same msds as mag1 full synthetic dexos 1.
WalMart will get what WalMart wants. If that means they want their oil made to top tier specs, they will get it. They are the door to the largest customer base on the planet.somebody will make it for them to sale and to put in sumps all over the place at their oil change shops. Its also why you can usually buy jugs of any brand oil there for up to $10 less than other places barring special sales.
I'm not all high on WalMart love. Actually the opposite but they r the big dog in the park.

frown.gif

i use in my tahoe and i guarantee mine will run as long as your tahoe will.
it is good oil.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Originally Posted By: jhellwig

happy2.gif

If you get ahold of the wpp msds for supertech its the same msds as mag1 full synthetic dexos 1.
WalMart will get what WalMart wants. If that means they want their oil made to top tier specs, they will get it. They are the door to the largest customer base on the planet.somebody will make it for them to sale and to put in sumps all over the place at their oil change shops. Its also why you can usually buy jugs of any brand oil there for up to $10 less than other places barring special sales.
I'm not all high on WalMart love. Actually the opposite but they r the big dog in the park.

That still doesn't make the clear bottle mag 1 dexos approved.

Yeah, I remember that dexos-only dexos! I had gotten some on clearance at Pep Boys last year. I'm surprised they still make it now that their normal syn is dexos, unless they discontinue it soon.

Smitty's also has a dexos-only dexos.

Originally Posted By: CKN
frown.gif

That's OK- I'll put in my 2011 Silverado that probably has the same motor as your Tahoe!

They even have the same engine as well.

Originally Posted By: B20z

Kind of like BMW LL-01, Mercedes 229.3 and 229.5, let's not forget about Porsche A40. Since those are super cool "Euro" oils, then paying extra for that makes you cool. Makes me want to back my car into my parking spot while wearing driving gloves.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Kind of like BMW LL-01, Mercedes 229.3 and 229.5, let's not forget about Porsche A40. Since those are super cool "Euro" oils, then paying extra for that makes you cool. Makes me want to back my car into my parking spot while wearing driving gloves.

The difference is that GM charges the oil companies to put the logo on the bottle.

BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche don't charge them for spec approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back