Retirement gift yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to go for a relaxing drive down the Coast...

Miata.

A romp through curvy mountain roads...

Miata.

Want to best 911's at the track...

...Miata
whistle.gif

I'm in the process of selecting a retirement present, and I'm all over the place- like a cat chasing a laser pointer. Here are some of the cars I'm considering:

CPO BMW 335is
New Challenger R/T Scat Pack
New Charger R/T Scat Pack
Used Boss 302
New Mustang GT(with PP and Recaros)
New WRX STI

I liked the Golf R, but the Louisville VW dealers are beyond hopeless.
I may wait for the Focus RS, it sounds like it could be a game changer.

A 2002 Miata... blue :)

Still 15 years from retirement (hopefully less... I am working on it), but better to enjoy it now than later, as I may not be fit to seat in the car when I am 60...

If I were buying a fun/pleasure car for my retirement, and I were retiring today (so looking at the choice of used cars today), I'm absolutely looking for a light and tossable RWD convertible. Things like (in alphabetical order):

BMW 3-series ci (E30 or E36)
Honda S2000
Mazda Miata
Plymouth Prowler
Pontiac Solstice

I'd prefer the BMW or Prowler if I were looking for something to cruise in. If I liked to cut-up a back road or track event, a Miata sounds incredibly appealing to me because of the huge aftermarket for them. The S2000 and Solstice are probably good to go as-is, without a lot of modifications necessary, but I'm sure the aftermarket is strong for them as well.

When I retire, I'll be continuing to do much more fun and exciting things than putting around the streets in a fancy, go-fast, car.

A diesel powered Sprinter campervan would be a much better retirement vehicle for us
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
When I retire, I'll be continuing to do much more fun and exciting things than putting around the streets in a fancy, go-fast, car.

Me too!

24096_103114016388261_100000689892391_84529_7773030_n.jpg

f180a081-3550-4261-9cdb-0cf47236fb7b_zpsbec73714.jpg

MS3_zps153e489c.jpg

A diesel powered Sprinter campervan would be a much better retirement vehicle for us
wink.gif

Plenty of Corvette owners around here who do that(put,put,put).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If I were buying a fun/pleasure car for my retirement, and I were retiring today (so looking at the choice of used cars today), I'm absolutely looking for a light and tossable RWD convertible. Things like (in alphabetical order):

BMW 3-series ci (E30 or E36)
Honda S2000
Mazda Miata
Plymouth Prowler
Pontiac Solstice

I'd prefer the BMW or Prowler if I were looking for something to cruise in. If I liked to cut-up a back road or track event, a Miata sounds incredibly appealing to me because of the huge aftermarket for them. The S2000 and Solstice are probably good to go as-is, without a lot of modifications necessary, but I'm sure the aftermarket is strong for them as well.

Other than forced induction system such as turbo charge or super charge, S2000 doesn't need any aftermarket add-on, they just make it worse.

Think I will just keep the WS6 it has been paid for a long time. Not many clean ones left. Plus IMO, they have aged well.
bird1du8.jpg

Might pick up a used C5 or C6 once I fix the Caddy and get rid of it. I am car payment free so I can pick up a clean one for 25,000.

My real retirement vehicle will be the last truck I will have to buy for my RVing hobby (addiction?)
A nice 4 door base model Diesel. I won't have to buy another truck ever again and I will be able tow trouble free for 6 months out of the year which is the plan.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Me too!

24096_103114016388261_100000689892391_84529_7773030_n.jpg

f180a081-3550-4261-9cdb-0cf47236fb7b_zpsbec73714.jpg

MS3_zps153e489c.jpg

cheers3.gif

That's where you can go fast in go fast cars!
Always loved those years of speed3s

190E 2.3 EVO, or anything else from the 80's before the prices go nuts.

What is your price and goals? You can buy absolutely fantastic SL500's for mid teens.

If you can spend $50k or $60k the 355 Ferrari's are fantastic buys right now. They are the last low production F car before they started spitting them out like crazy. I suspect in 10 years their will be a 1,2, or 3 in front of that $60k.

Remember 10 years ago you could buy a nice Lamborghini Countach for way under $100k, I saw some for $80k all day long. Now good luck finding one under $300k. Low production 80's stuff is going to go nuts in value the way 60's cars did.

No reason you can't buy a fun toy car that might appreciate a bit at the same time!

80's 911's, V12 Jag's, anything rare Mercedes, and M BMW's are going to be solid buys going forward, my generation is just getting to the point where they have money to collect cars.

Last edited:
I may never retire, but at 60 - 65 I would like to get myself a car with:

1. Normally aspirated engine.
2. No drive by wire throttle.
3. Manual transmission.
4. Easy to maintain and repair.

My GLI is nice at the moment, but I miss the direct and instantaneous connection with the car.

My wife often drives an '05 350z roadster other than winter. A set of tires, a battery and annual oil changes. I don't drive it much, but we both really like it.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
190E 2.3 EVO, or anything else from the 80's before the prices go nuts.

What is your price and goals? You can buy absolutely fantastic SL500's for mid teens.

If you can spend $50k or $60k the 355 Ferrari's are fantastic buys right now. They are the last low production F car before they started spitting them out like crazy. I suspect in 10 years their will be a 1,2, or 3 in front of that $60k.

Remember 10 years ago you could buy a nice Lamborghini Countach for way under $100k, I saw some for $80k all day long. Now good luck finding one under $300k. Low production 80's stuff is going to go nuts in value the way 60's cars did.

No reason you can't buy a fun toy car that might appreciate a bit at the same time!

80's 911's, V12 Jag's, anything rare Mercedes, and M BMW's are going to be solid buys going forward, my generation is just getting to the point where they have money to collect cars.
Once you factor the cost of maintaining them you will pray you don't wreck it andthat they will go up in value.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I may never retire, but at 60 - 65 I would like to get myself a car with:

1. Normally aspirated engine.
2. No drive by wire throttle.
3. Manual transmission.
4. Easy to maintain and repair.

My GLI is nice at the moment, but I miss the direct and instantaneous connection with the car.

You're talking about 2000-2005 Honda S2000, it meets all your 4 criteria, 2006-2009 S2000 have DBW, but 2000-2005 don't.

It is rarely brake down and there are plenty of room under the hood for maintenance and repair.

Originally Posted By: k24a4

Miata.

Miata.

...Miata
whistle.gif

If someone had a Miata and a Cherokee XJ ... all automotive needs would be covered!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: k24a4
Miata.

Miata.

...Miata
whistle.gif

If someone had a Miata and a Cherokee XJ ... all automotive needs would be covered!

You have Cherokee already all you need is trade in your 2011 Focus for 2016 Miata
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back