Safe $5000 - $7000 car for a 16yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply Greasymechtech, but all the teaching in the world won't help if someone else runs a red light or drifts into your lane. I will gladly spend what it takes to get modern safety features.

Last edited:
While I was not happy with my Sonata, it's generally regarded as a good first car because it comes with a lot of safety features standard. The NF Sonatas are depreciating hard, so you get a lot for your money. They had ESC standard several years before it was mandated.

Here's a CR article on the topic. Some of the suggestions have already been mentioned.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/...ivers/index.htm

The 07-09 4 and 6 Cylinder Fusions seem to be pretty reliable. The six is pretty quick for its time. Might want to go 08 or 09 because I think they included more airbags like side curtain but you will have to check that out. They are very easy to drive -low hoodline and super easy to do oil changes in the 6 cyl. Check on insurance rates also.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Might not have all the airbags but better to teach kid how to drive properly than to expect bags/ABS/TCS/VSS to fix all issues.

That is my philosophy; I sent my son to the two day Teen School at the BMW Performance Center and followed that up with the one day Street Survival course where he learned basic vehicle control techniques in his own car- a 1975 BMW 2002. As an HPDE isntructor I wanted him to learn how to handle a vehicle without any so-called "driving aids" that can often convince a neophyte that he/she is a better driver than he/she actually is. Despite the somber predictions of certain doom from the hand-wringing bedwetters my son survived his year of driving the '02 and graduated to my wife's old X3.

Great responses so far! To give some of the back story on this subject, I would most likely not buy a car for my son, however, I have a father in law who gets a great deal of joy out of buying the grandkids their first car. He is a big advocate of low mileage vehicles that were only driven by little old ladies to church on Sunday. Unfortunately, most of his finds are around 20 years old and, while having low miles, that seems to blind him to the other issues the vehicle may have. My son and I would like to be involved in the selection and I am willing to pitch in some cash in order to get a better overall vehicle.

If I could find a 03-07 Accord 4cyl with less than 100k miles that would be my choice. Our 05 Odyssey just turned 150k miles and seems to have many miles to go. I have done almost all the maintenance for the past 10 years, so I know I can handle most repairs that the Accord might require. The son likes cars, but isn't a gear head like me. He is also very realistic and grateful just to get car, but I am including him in the process.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Might not have all the airbags but better to teach kid how to drive properly than to expect bags/ABS/TCS/VSS to fix all issues.

That is my philosophy; I sent my son to the two day Teen School at the BMW Performance Center and followed that up with the one day Street Survival course where he learned basic vehicle control techniques in his own car- a 1975 BMW 2002. As an HPDE isntructor I wanted him to learn how to handle a vehicle without any so-called "driving aids" that can often convince a neophyte that he/she is a better driver than he/she actually is. Despite the somber predictions of certain doom from the hand-wringing bedwetters my son survived his year of driving the '02 and graduated to my wife's old X3.

Why not provide good drivers training AND a safer vehicle? Having held a IMSA Pro license, a SCCA Pro license, setting numerous track records and winning championships (also worked as a HPD instructor..nothing more scary than being a passenger in a Porsche with a rookie driver at the wheel who thinks they are Mario Andretti!!) I know little bit about driving. Street driving is different than track driving, so I am an advocate of teaching the "Smith System". Avoiding an accident is the top priority.

I generally don't recommend cars here as most recommend the usual. I will say, I have had the worst luck from a TDI or anything VW. I would most likely skip any of those.

In your price range you can pick up an 08ish Grand Prix with low miles. Easy to fix and maintain, not super quick with the N/A 3800, pretty safe, and comfortable. Insurance is cheap.
It will have airbags, ABS, TCS, and perhaps stabilitrak by that time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
My son will be getting his drivers license soon and we have started to look for his first car. I would really like to find something with at least anti lock brakes and side air bags and/or curtain. Budget $5000 - $7500. I would usually look to getting a Honda or Toyota, but I am curious what else we should consider. Prefer 4 cyl, but a 6 cyl would be ok.

If we can find something without super high miles within our budget, we are considering these so far: 2008-2011 Ford Focus or Fusion, 06-09 Civic/Accord, Camry, Scion Tc (son's favorite)

Any other suggestion?

Outside the box...either a P71 Vic or a Grand Marquis. $7k will get you a 2009-11 with about 100k. Will have stability control, side airbags, and the tanklike structure of all Panthers.

Being able to drive a car with a manual transmission is another handy skill. If you can find a manual-equipped Corolla/Fusion/Elantra, it'll put him on the right track and discourage texting as a bonus.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
What about a used Ranger?

Our kids are 17 and this year they wanted to look at vehicles that could work for college next year. Both wanted pick up trucks so I did not fight it. Both when for Dodges and I had never owned one but when along with them so they could not come back on me later if my vehicle choice did not work out for them.
smile.gif

The daughter on her own selected a new like 2007 Dodge Dakota Club Cab with 62K miles but had to pay $8500 at a Chevy dealership but it was road ready and her dream truck. The son went for a private sale 2002 Dodge 1500 Ram SLT Plus with 110K miles for $5700 that needed cleaning up, tires, shocks and we redid the front end because the grease boots were missing or in bad shape but it were not in the danger zone yet but would be before we plan to trade it.

What made dad happy where both are straight clean vehicles with relative low miles plus they have full frames and current safety features plus they are 4x2's. Around here the road is full of lifted 4x4 trucks that puts small cars at a disadvantage should they tangle in an accident.

We picked up a S10 project truck with a 5 speed manual transmission for driver's ed. It was the son's officially but it was the first vehicle either drove and I started them out at age 15 in a large gravel church parking lot learning the clutch and shifting. It is kind of hard to buy used cars with manual transmissions in these parts. Until they got these they drove the S10 PU or Blazer or the 2000 Town Car that they used to take their driving tests.

Getting kids safely on the road is not cheap up front or afterwards.
frown.gif

The key benefit to getting most new generation possible is getting the best in terms of crashworthiness as this improved drastically in the 2000's.

The other is stability control which helps a lot in emergent maneuver and can control the car in a way impossible for any driver since it can apply braking to an individual wheel pivoting the car back onto appropriate track especially FWD vehicles where skid recovery is harder.

Track training/performance driving can obviously help however the real world is not a track and expecting something. Instead it happens fast or way too fast and whether training kicks in is another question. Especially if winter roads(ice,snow,slush) are involved. If winter not a factor , safety aids like stability control are really just nice to haves.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Track training/performance driving can obviously help however the real world is not a track and expecting something[sic]. Instead it happens fast or way too fast and whether training kicks in is another question. Especially if winter roads(ice,snow,slush) are involved. If winter not a factor , safety aids like stability control are really just nice to haves.

The above would be a relevant observation were it not for the fact that neither the BMW Performance Center Teen School nor Street Survival are "track schools." The schools teach techniques that are 100% applicable to street driving. As for "expecting something," anticipation of potential dangers is a huge contributing factor to safe driving on the street; driving along in blissful ignorance and counting on an alphabet soup of electronic nannies to save his bacon is not the way I wanted my son to learn how to drive- and I believe my choice of training and vehicles worked out to at least some degree...

I total agree with the "expecting something", and it is the key to avoiding most accidents. Unfortunately we share the road with many drivers who don't "expect something" and are oblivious to their surroundings. I also don't believe people drive that way because the "alphabet soup of electronics nannies" will save them. Quite the opposite, those people probably don't even know what "Nannies" their vehicle is equipped with or how they work.

Just this past weekend a local couple was killed when they pulled into the path of a semi that ran a red light. Do you think the deceased driver pulled out in front of the semi because they thought the airbags would save them? And I doubt the driver of the semi ignored the red light thinking his bulk would make it less likely to get hurt. If either driver had been more aware of there situation this accident could have been avoided.

Image how much safer your son would be when you add good training AND advanced safety features.

PS: Even though the BMW 2002 was an awesome car in it's day, you would be amazed at how badly the occupant would fair in a collision with a car made in the past 5 years.

Even though the BMW 2002 was an awesome car in it's day, you would be amazed at how badly the occupant would fair in a collision with a car made in the past 5 years.

I didn't have to be surprised, as he was never involved in an accident- in either the '02 or the X3.

m
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Track training/performance driving can obviously help however the real world is not a track and expecting something[sic]. Instead it happens fast or way too fast and whether training kicks in is another question. Especially if winter roads(ice,snow,slush) are involved. If winter not a factor , safety aids like stability control are really just nice to haves.

The above would be a relevant observation were it not for the fact that neither the BMW Performance Center Teen School nor Street Survival are "track schools." The schools teach techniques that are 100% applicable to street driving. As for "expecting something," anticipation of potential dangers is a huge contributing factor to safe driving on the street; driving along in blissful ignorance and counting on an alphabet soup of electronic nannies to save his bacon is not the way I wanted my son to learn how to drive- and I believe my choice of training and vehicles worked out to at least some degree...

Meh, the vast majority of reasons why teens get into accidents (not to mention meathead adults) are due to obvious errors in judgement (i.e. texting) , not errors in physical skills, car handling/performance, or technique.

If I were in the situation, I would rather put my money to sign up for lytx first, over a performance driving course.
http://www.lytx.com/our-markets/family/overview

Not an either/or, though, you can still spend the $ to go to a driving course too; but I think more value is gained through something like lytx first to squash out the obvious judgement errors that don't require any special driving skills.

Last edited:
Even though the BMW 2002 was an awesome car in it's day, you would be amazed at how badly the occupant would fair in a collision with a car made in the past 5 years.

I didn't have to be surprised, as he was never involved in an accident- in either the '02 or the X3.

My father in law has never worn a seatbelt and still survives driving 60+ year. Common sense, a tad of luck, and paying attention seem key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back