Are we even getting anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Ford recommended a 6k OCI from like 1965 onward.

But, Ford did not expect you to get more than something like 80-100k out of an engine before work needed to be done...no one did back then.

Today, if a car needs major work (heads, cam) before about 150k, it would be considered unacceptable.

'Back in the day' partial or full rebuilds of engines was considered routine maintenance....

I thought by 2000 we'd have flying cars like the jetsons.

1900 to 1969 Horse and buggy to man lands on moon.

1969 to 2015 Man lands on moon to we need to hitch hike with ruskies to get into orbit.

Are we getting anywhere?

In leaded gas days, the debate was whether you changed the plugs twice a year, or every 10,000 miles.

From '78 - '84 I drove a '68 Impala - 307 2-bbl, Powerglide, no air. It sat six. It typically turned in 19 MPG Imperial on the highway. That's what, 15 - 16 MPG US or 15 l/100 km? I bet the simple transmission w/o lock-up torque converter made for a lot of slippage. From 120K miles on, it burned a quart of Quaker State 10W-30 every 200 miles, with consumption increasing to a quart every 70 miles by '81. I had a spare set of plugs I would clean and swap in when the set in use fouled, every 200 miles or so. In '82, I swapped out the engine @ 176 K miles for a less tired 327 that burned a quart every 250 miles or so. The body was badly rusted when I bought it, and the tinworm defied my attempts to defeat it.

From '01 up 'til now, I've driven a '97 Mazda MPV. It seats seven. It averages 28 MPG Imperial on the highway. (23 - 24 MPG US, or 10 l/100 km.) It uses a litre of oil every 3000 - 5000 km. I change plugs every three to five years. It's got 304,000 km on the clock (c. 189,000 miles). The body is still pretty good, with just a bit of surface rust.

Yes, I think there have been advances in longevity. In fairness to the Chevy, it would have been run on leaded gas for its first 10 years at least, and I used dino in the crankcase (although I changed it every 2000 miles). The MPV has gotten all synthetics since we bought it 4 years old. The carburetor would dump raw fuel into the oil in the winter. The MPV's EFI & OBD II protocol help oil life a lot.

I could always repair the Impala by the side of the road. I loved GM's breaker points on the V8s. The fuel pump was easy to change. If the electronic ignition dies on the Mazda, it's tow truck time.

If I could somehow buy the Impala new, now, I'm sure I could make it last as long as the Mazda, but think it would always be thirstier than the MPV.

So, trade offs. I loved the character of the old Impala, and the styling.

We are going to hades in a hand basket. I am looking for a new vehicle and it is hard to be impressed.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: CT8
TV is still making zombies out of its watchers.

Right

Because the Internet is any better

Please
At least the internet makes most of us think and wonder.

10W-30 and 5W-30 here in the early 70's. In the early 80's we could buy 0W-30 at the bulk dealer.

I had a 67 Chevy with a 283 + (2-speed) Poweglide. Redline was 6200 RPM and at WOT the Powerglide shifted from 1st at around 55 MPH; you could force a downshift by slowing to 48 MPH and punching it.

Car got 25 MPG Highway (Imperial) which would be 20 MPG (US Gal) but was hard on fuel in winter city driving, probably 15 MPG (Imperial).

That was the first vehicle I owned (early 80's) where I ran an 0W-xx oil, Esso (Exxon) Semi-Synthetic 0W-30. Have been using an 0W-xx rated oil in all my vehicles ever since.

The car went to the wreckers completely worn out ... door and window cranks broken, seats worn, etc. But the motor and trans hummed like new the day they towed here away with almost 200,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited:
Amalie Imperial 10w-30 was the first multi viscosity oil in 1953.
Phillips 66 Trop-Artic 10w-30 in 1954, so the market really opened up after that.

In '55 Chevy also recommended multi-vis oil listed grades like 10W-20...

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Amalie Imperial 10w-30 was the first multi viscosity oil in 1953.
Phillips 66 Trop-Artic 10w-30 in 1954, so the market really opened up after that.

My dad remembers the Trop-Artic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back