Fiat/Chrysler to buy back pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
itguy08 said:
LOL. The K-Cars? Are you serious? The only thing good about them was the 2.2, especially the turbo versions.

The Ultradrive sucked in everything it was put into - 5th Ave, New Yorkers, etc.

What is exactly wrong with a K-Car, other than Iacocca used it in a number of platforms he had no business using it in (think Fifth Avenue on up.) Ask me how I know.
Given the times (early 80's) it certainly was better than GM's X platform and was at least on par with Ford's Fox platform in the earlier years.
I'll be the last to say that the K platform was a marvel of automotive engineering. It was a car that was put together by a company that was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. The vehicle length was even manipulated to allow for additional vehicles to be loaded on rail cars for transportation. It was built to a pricepoint, and many times it showed.
However, they were dependable vehicles and parts were cheap. The one I had was the easiest to change oil and work on of any vehicle I have ever owned.
Bought one with 23K and put over 100K trouble free miles on it. Best $260. vehicle I ever purchased and I even sold it for $1300. at the end. (I might add, this is coming from a Ford guy.)
However, I fully agree with everything you said about the Ultradrive transmission. It was a thoroughly [censored] piece of work. Ask me how I know.

My quality scale:

GM = Walmart
Ford = Target
Chrysler = Dollar General/Thrift stores
Toyota = Bon Ton
Honda = Macy's
Nissan = K mart
Fiat = any garage sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back