Cut Open Bosch D+ D3330 in use ~20K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is much to see but given the mileage run I thought I would post for those that are interested. Wavier than the last one the last one I cut open, but similar conditions. 4 oil changes, 5K each, across a variety of oils - 5w-30, 10w-30 and 10w-40. The last change out I did two doses of Kreen to see if I could make any impact on consumption (1qt./500 miles). Filters been in use since June '14. Residue on can wall is where the filtermag was.

24domxs.jpg

2u8xkk2.jpg

11hs2gm.jpg

34dnf51.jpg

2d76me.jpg

OK I will say it...

That thing looks relatively well shagged to me... the other one you posted seems to have faired much better.

Not that I necessarily think there is a huge correlation in used filter performance vs appearance short of outright failures.

Your consumption is 1 qrt per every 500 miles? Wow!! That's 10 qrts added per 5k mile oil change. I would think you could bump up your oil changes to 10K miles easy.

Saturns were decent cars but they sure drank a lot of oil.

Try a cylinder soak with Berryman B-12 Chemtool to see if it will help with the oil consumption. It sounds like the classic Saturn stuck oil ring problem. You will need to do a short OCI afterwards.

Filter looks fine but IMO probably saturated quite a while before you pulled it. It certainly held up to the "Distance" part but run too long IMO.

What kind of oil do you use? Consider Maxlife or some other HM oil if you don't use one already.

Is the filter difficult to change on a Saturn? If not, then why not change it every OCI?

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I don't think there is much to see but given the mileage run I thought I would post for those that are interested. Wavier than the last one the last one I cut open, but similar conditions. 4 oil changes, 5K each, across a variety of oils - 5w-30, 10w-30 and 10w-40. The last change out I did two doses of Kreen to see if I could make any impact on consumption (1qt./500 miles). Filters been in use since June '14. Residue on can wall is where the filtermag was.

24domxs.jpg

2u8xkk2.jpg

11hs2gm.jpg

34dnf51.jpg

2d76me.jpg

Tell you what ... that filter looks very WAVY... Looks like it was having a hard time filtering the oil.

who knows how much the bypass was opened...

Personally I think the B D+ is very overpriced...

I think a FRAM ULTRA is by far the way to go for that kind of $.

Or Even a Royal Purple...

I just posted a BD+ and the end caps popped right oFFF

I was not happy.

Stick to FRAM ULTRA, Very easy to find.

They stand up very good to long OCI

they are easy to find and not that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back