Struts 2002 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

Struts have 80k on them and the rubber on the mount of the left front finally breathed its last breath. I'm looking at preloaded online but, given the cost of only the struts, seems like the small amount of labor that goes into it almost makes it easier for me to just bring the car in, 70k ago labor was under 200 on parts of about 850. Opinions? Also, how bad is it to be driving, but getting fixed ASAP, on a strut missing most of the rubber on the upper mount so it kind of wiggles around a lot. Wouldn't be surprised the bearing and whatnot up there is messed up too. Since I'm replacing them anyway, how much of an increase in the likelihood of my death is there? I took back roads to work today and drove slower than an elderly person.

I have a CRV and replaced my struts, mounts and the mount bearings a few years ago with aftermarket parts. I kept getting a light ringing noise afterwards and couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. After using chassis ears on the strut towers, I found the ringing noise coming from that area. I since switched out the mounts and mount bearings on both sides with Honda parts and the noise is gone. I am using aftermarket struts, Bilstein, but will only use Honda strut mounts and mount bearings.

Quick struts are awesome, and recommended any time you don't want/need high performance like Bilstein or Koni. The moumts do go bad,m as you know, and the springs sag, so why not get them all done at the same time?

Four quick struts will be at least $200 cheaper in just the parts, and of course the labor savings.

If you're not using quick struts, get Bilstein.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Quick struts are awesome, and recommended any time you don't want/need high performance like Bilstein or Koni. The moumts do go bad,m as you know, and the springs sag, so why not get them all done at the same time?

Four quick struts will be at least $200 cheaper in just the parts, and of course the labor savings.

If you're not using quick struts, get Bilstein.

It'll cost me about $850 to get a decent set of preloaded struts for front and rear. $1000-1100 to have a shop do it. In working on brakes rusted bolts from road salt are a total pain. How do I get the old strut off without the spring releasing and putting a hole in my garage wall? I'm really currently in a pinch for time and just need it done. I think I'm out of Liquid Wrench and PB blaster, too. 3 cans of each during my last brake job.

Originally Posted By: Yup

It'll cost me about $850 to get a decent set of preloaded struts for front and rear. $1000-1100 to have a shop do it. In working on brakes rusted bolts from road salt are a total pain. How do I get the old strut off without the spring releasing and putting a hole in my garage wall? I'm really currently in a pinch for time and just need it done. I think I'm out of Liquid Wrench and PB blaster, too. 3 cans of each during my last brake job.

Buy the quick struts on Rock Auto or Amazon and then find someone on Craigslist to install them.

Don't get quick struts - generic hardware and springs with unknown spring rates.

Get OE struts or KYB and new dealer mount and dust boot. Pep Boys will swap over the spring for you for $20/per assembly.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Don't get quick struts - generic hardware and springs with unknown spring rates.

Get OE struts or KYB and new dealer mount and dust boot. Pep Boys will swap over the spring for you for $20/per assembly.

I think I paid $25 per side at Pep Boys, but that was for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

As for brands of struts, I have heard that if you can get Bilsteins, that is the best option.

I called around to get estimates. Just like I couldn't find online, they don't make "quick struts" for the front on this model. One local shop said he got quick struts for both and wanted $2k!!! Whew! No thanks! The dealer wanted about $1500 and said they don't make quick struts for the front but that it's old enough they might not be able to get genuine OEM type parts. Two other places were $1400-1500 and just as I was about to call one of those places back I got a call from the place I wanted to go to in the beginning. She said she was having a tough time finding the parts but had some in town (others were 2 days+ out) and $11-1200. Since pricing the parts on my own was close to $1000 thought I'd just take her in and have a good set of eyes take a look over everything once more. Been about 3 years since an expert has looked things over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back