OCI interval for VW MK4 Jetta 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what interval i could run. I just bought it and it is kinda dirty inside. I purchased some Havoline 5w-30 conventional to run a short oci to clean it out then run something with an ester based stock. Redline? LiquiMoly? I wanted to run some M1 Euro 0w-40 in it but is that Mobil 1 an ester based stock? I don't like to run garbage oil either.

These 1.8T's are picky and evil. Never use dino in them. even with synthetic you shouldn't go longer than 5k. It's the only engine where I'd actually change the oil every 3000 miles.

The M1 0w40 will be fine in that car. Not ester-based.

And VW even made mistakes on the acceptable oil list. But any oil that carries the relevant VW spec will be fine. There's even a WPP Mag 1 oil made for Euro cars, it's not expensive, and it even comes in clear bottles
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The M1 0w40 will be fine in that car. Not ester-based.

+1 . . . Mobil 1 0W-40 is good oil, but not ester based. Not a real synthetic like Redline is.
Trolling.gif

Since it IS so tough on oil but is dirty, maybe 2 short(2500 mile) intervals with PYB then over to your M1. The PYB is known to clean well and at that distance should get a decent amount of time to do its job before having to worry about the longevity.

The 1.8T is a nasty sludger. Find an oil that meets the either the required ACEA or VW 502.00 specs (preferably both). M1 0w-40 is a great choice, Castrol, Amsoil and Valvoline also have suitable Euro oils. Don't exceed VW's specified OCI.

i had one of these devils in a 2000 Audi TT several years ago. 0w40 Mobil wasn't very easy to get back then so i ran 10w40 Mobil 1 in it.

I Could not find any VW spec'd 5w40's in my area at the time either. This was before my time as a BITOG'er and I always used M1 at 3-4k intervals.

This is one engine that was kept happy because i did short changes on Synthetics.

Please do not use a conventional oil in these engines. Especially not a thin 5w30 conventional. A friends mom did this on a 2004 Turbo jetta and the engine ended up sludged and wore. She changed the oil regularly, but Jiffy lube 5w30 is not suited for the 1.8T. Toss that Conventional 5w30 in something else, it wont do any cleaning in this Hot-running turbo engine.

A good synthetic 40Wt changed every 3-5k will keep that engine happy.

As slacktide_bitog said id change it every 3k as well in this application. JMO

Last edited:
If you want to clean it I would skip the conventional and go straight to synthetic. My choice would be Mobil 1 0w40 with a close second being Rotella T 5w40.

Ran GC in mine religiously while I had it - never an issue. Of course mine was transversely mounted in a Jetta (or Bora as the Europeans called it). I also ran a huge Napa Gold oil filter. The real issue as we saw here was w/ the A4's & Passat's that were longitudinally mounted. It reduced their sumps to too small a volume. The only thing that they came up w/ to address it was a larger filter...

Short cycles of GC would be expensive & wasteful. If it were me, I'd run a couple short-cycles of Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. Then I'd run GC again. Or maybe even just use the RTS...

John.

I'd do some runs of T6, it keeps all 3 of my 1.8ts super clean and they're in a4s with the small sumps, I change my oil every 5kmi (8kkms)occasionally I'll run mobil or castrol 0w40 if its on sale. I'm sure you can fit it as well but run the Mann w940/25 filter instead of the stock skinny filter.

Originally Posted By: seanf
I'd do some runs of T6, it keeps all 3 of my 1.8ts super clean and they're in a4s with the small sumps, I change my oil every 5kmi (8kkms)occasionally I'll run mobil or castrol 0w40 if its on sale. I'm sure you can fit it as well but run the Mann w940/25 filter instead of the stock skinny filter.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Follow this advice and that 1.8t will slowly clean itself out and be very happy. Any filter that crosses over to the Mann W940/25 will be sufficient, like the Puro/Driveworks 30257.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i had one of these devils in a 2000 Audi TT several years ago. ...

I Could not find any VW spec'd 5w40's in my area at the time either. This was before my time as a BITOG'er and I always used M1 at 3-4k intervals.

This is one engine that was kept happy because i did short changes on Synthetics.

Please do not use a conventional oil in these engines. Especially not a thin 5w30 conventional. A friends mom did this on a 2004 Turbo jetta and the engine ended up sludged and wore. ...

A good synthetic 40Wt changed every 3-5k will keep that engine happy.

As slacktide_bitog said id change it every 3k as well in this application. JMO

and

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Follow this advice and that 1.8t will slowly clean itself out and be very happy. Any filter that crosses over to the Mann W940/25 will be sufficient, like the Puro/Driveworks 30257.

I stand corrected on my earlier post. Obviously I haven't the experience with this engine and shouldn't have commented.

Use a Mann 950/4 or Mahle OC105 or Wix 51333 to add an extra quart to your overall capacity, use a Good quality oil and change regularly or use an ester base and stretchit out a bit further.
Most importantly, live by the mantra 'spool, then cool' and you'll be golden

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

The 940/25 cross references to the Mahle OC51 which is bigger than the OC47 OE filter but not as big as the 950/4 or OC105, both of which are bigger still but have the same bypass setting.

Google VW big kahuna filter

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for all the replies. I don't use this website very much but when i do it is great. I actually took the Havoline back and got some M1 Euro stuff. I am using a Bosch 3421 filter. Should i change that or just stay with Bosch?
I was wanting something that was readily available as i don't know if i can get any of the Mann filters around here.

It has a capacity of 4.5 qts but could i overfill it by a half a quart?
What is the stock VW oci for this car? I couldn't find it in the owners manual.
Is Redline overkill for this car? I just put some MT-90 in my manual gearbox and had excellent results.
Thanks again
smile.gif

*nothing* is overkill for this car

Nothing is wrong with Bosch, but you can always order Mann online at decent prices. There's also the excellent M1 filter, part number M1-205

The Bosch 3421 is the exact same as the Purolator P1 PL20252

Wix has the 51393 and 51342 (drop the beginning 5 if buying at Napa)

Fram Ultra XG2870A

Havoline makes a Euro oil, just not sure if it's as available as normal Havoline syn.

Originally Posted By: LX289
Awesome thanks for all the replies. I don't use this website very much but when i do it is great. I actually took the Havoline back and got some M1 Euro stuff. I am using a Bosch 3421 filter. Should i change that or just stay with Bosch?
I was wanting something that was readily available as i don't know if i can get any of the Mann filters around here.

It has a capacity of 4.5 qts but could i overfill it by a half a quart?
What is the stock VW oci for this car? I couldn't find it in the owners manual.
Is Redline overkill for this car? I just put some MT-90 in my manual gearbox and had excellent results.
Thanks again
smile.gif

I've used Mann or Mahle filters and M1 10w-30 for my '01 1.8T with 1 BAR APR chip. Factory change interval is 5000 miles but I've always done 7500 and had and couple of UOA done at 9000. No problem but I've stayed at 7500 OCI. The engine does consume oil since new at the rate of about 3/4 to 1 quart per interval and increased with age. My motor has 220k.

Yes, you should have no problem dumping the whole 5 quarts into the engine.

Also, if you use a 2000 Audi A4 with the 1.8t engine to search for filters, you'll find the larger versions that many have alluded to. Check out Rock Auto as they are blowing out a ton of filters right now and you can score some pretty good prices.

Had that engine in B5.5 Passat. made 105,000 miles, and sold it in excellent condition.
I knew issues with that and this is what I did:
1. Always used OEM oil filter!
2. In 90% of cases used good ole Castrol 0W30 GC. In some cases experimented with M1 0W40 or Pennzoil Ultra 5W40. Of all, Castrol 0W30 was best fit (noise, cold start). Since Castrol 0W40 now is same as old 0W30 except little bit thicker (just little, 12.85 compare to 12.21 in 0W30) I would use Castrol 0W40 that you can buy in Wal Mart. Change it EVERY 5K, not necessary 3K. However, 1st OCI do at 3K, and again for that 1st OCI use Casrol 0W40!
3. If you are not fan of Castrol, use M1 0W40 or any other oil that meets VW 502.00, VW 505.01 AND< and this is very important, MB 229.5!
4. DO NOT use Castrol Edge 5W40 that you can buy in AZ and other stores. It meets only MB 229.3 and it is sub-standard oil in that category.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Had that engine in B5.5 Passat. made 105,000 miles, and sold it in excellent condition.
I knew issues with that and this is what I did:
1. Always used OEM oil filter!
2. In 90% of cases used good ole Castrol 0W30 GC. In some cases experimented with M1 0W40 or Pennzoil Ultra 5W40. Of all, Castrol 0W30 was best fit (noise, cold start). Since Castrol 0W40 now is same as old 0W30 except little bit thicker (just little, 12.85 compare to 12.21 in 0W30) I would use Castrol 0W40 that you can buy in Wal Mart. Change it EVERY 5K, not necessary 3K. However, 1st OCI do at 3K, and again for that 1st OCI use Casrol 0W40!
3. If you are not fan of Castrol, use M1 0W40 or any other oil that meets VW 502.00, VW 505.01 AND< and this is very important, MB 229.5!
4. DO NOT use Castrol Edge 5W40 that you can buy in AZ and other stores. It meets only MB 229.3 and it is sub-standard oil in that category.

That is good sound advice right there!

Yes I like GC and that is what i most likely will do.
Does the 0w-30 have same base stocks as the 0w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back