classic cut open 5k fci and 1 1/2 years outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this on my wife's little 2 for 5k. I changed it out early after I first learned of puros tearing problems. I replaced with one of those mysterious fu filters at the time. That was before I discovered the shady language fram uses concerning their efficiency abilities. I ran that for 15 k

This classic sat outside under an RV I have on the ground for a year and a half. Was all mucked up so I cleaned it up first. So this is after a 5k fcoi and 1 1/2 year out in the elements.
Code is f06e28e1 so if I interpret correctly, it was born in 6 of 2013.
1217djr.jpg

30a6o2o.jpg

zk38xu.jpg

28we59j.jpg

2aka93r.jpg

This little l14612 is a Purolator and not a tearalator. It looked great and had no tears. Adbv was plenty pliable.
If I didn't have a stash of filters now, id go back to this filter and keep cutting open. Price is right and this model might not be a problem one.

Metal shavings r from hack sawing

Last edited:
2a2nmw.jpg

There a pic of the date code

That's. 2 classics now I cut open that look real good.
I posted an l20195 a couple weeks ago that I used as an ATF filter for 3 months and 15k. Now that l20195 was from 2009 though this recent one is 2013.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
I had bad luck with the one I cut open. The media was torn by the metal seals

Was it the l14612 as well?

I guess there are some that are ok...I will continue to use Wix and maybe the fram ultra... I won't go back to purolater at this point because i won't take the chance we buy hundreds of filters in a year and so far Wix seems to be the best filter for the money.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I guess there are some that are ok...I will continue to use Wix and maybe the fram ultra... I won't go back to purolater at this point because i won't take the chance we buy hundreds of filters in a year and so far Wix seems to be the best filter for the money.

Cant argue about wix being the best. Wix is the best for the money imo

no, L14459
Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
Originally Posted By: Jake54
I had bad luck with the one I cut open. The media was torn by the metal seals

Was it the l14612 as well?

Thanks for the C&P.

I have yet to see a torn 14612. The longer 14610 has been problematic for many users, but it seems the 14612 have bucked the trend.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Thanks for the C&P.

I have yet to see a torn 14612. The longer 14610 has been problematic for many users, but it seems the 14612 have bucked the trend.

Shorter pleat length helps reduce the tearing force at the ends of the pleats. 14612 is just a short version of the 14610 - plus a lot of people here that would normally use a 14612 use the 14610 instead to up-size.

It's hard to find a bad filter in the 14612/6607 size category.

Those filters are so compact.

Media spacing is tight and the length of the pleats in these filters is relatively short.

Think of a structural beam design with a distributed load. The shorter spans are going to do better with the same (media) cross-section.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Thanks for the C&P.

Shorter pleat length helps reduce the tearing force at the ends of the pleats. 14612 is just a short version of the 14610 - plus a lot of people here that would normally use a 14612 use the 14610 instead to up-size.

Yep which is why I won't hesitate to use 14612 (for now anyway), but will avoid 14610 like the plague.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Thanks for the C&P.

That's exactly what I reasoned in my head. That it is least likely to tear being so itty bitty.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
It's hard to find a bad filter in the 14612/6607 size category.

Those filters are so compact.

Media spacing is tight and the length of the pleats in these filters is relatively short.

Think of a structural beam design with a distributed load. The shorter spans are going to do better with the same (media) cross-section.

Makes since

Originally Posted By: webfors
Puro's 14612 was my fav go to filter for the subaru back in the day.

Did you ever have issues with em tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back