Carbon fiber versus plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see much of a difference. Plastic seems strong, light and resistant to melting-as can witnessed by plastic intake manifolds and other underhood pieces.

So where and why can CF be better than plastic?

It's a "gotthavit" in the upscale German car world. The less people know about it, the more they "gottahavit".

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I dont see much of a difference. Plastic seems strong, light and resistant to melting-as can witnessed by plastic intake manifolds and other underhood pieces.

So where and why can CF be better than plastic?

For non structural parts, Nylon and other plastics can work very well. Leaking GM and Ford intake manifolds were as much due to bad design as anything.

Properly constructed Carbon Fiber components are amazingly strong. For example, this aircraft has a CF wing and wingspar. It's certified for + or - 10G and tested (mechanically) to 20G.

That means this little cantilevered wing is certified to hold 20,800 pounds and will easily withstand loads of 41,000 pounds without any damage or failure. Nylon cannot do that.

red_xtra_resize.jpg

CF tensile strength (fibers alone) 6370 MPa. (That for the highest quality CF)

CF tensile strength in a typical laminate 1600 MPa

Nylon fibers alone 900 (such as the highest quality fibers in ballistic Nylon)

Molded Nylon 75.

Notice the huge difference in tensile strength.

Keeping it simple and basic,, carbon fiber is a strong reinforcing material, stronger than using fiber glass so in the performance world it is lighter and stronger. Trick stuff is done with carbon fiber composites, beyond my ability to splain it . see above post and the aircraft and read up on Formula 1 cars . For we little people it probably is a ohhh ahh, I have to have the carbon fiber looking brake pedal covers.

I would ask how much the plane costs but it is said if you have to ask the price !!
grin.gif
It doesn't look Low priced.

Yes, this is exactly why (ultimate STRENGTH/SAFETY at a decent weight) there is a one piece racing shell seat option for carbon fiber, or a carbon fiber composite with kevlar, or aramid (for most company's offerings), which is usually 4-5 times the cost of their fiberglass composite seats (up to about $4K A SEAT!!
eek.gif
).

In some cases, the fiberglass seat will actually be lighter weight than the carbon fiber/kevlar composite seats, but it will NEVER BE stronger, or more safe in an "incident".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back