Are Magnatec and QSUD good for 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart just lowered the price of Magnatec to only a dollar or so more than ST syn, and QSUD has a $7 rebate. None of these entry level syns claim ACEA standards like the flagship synthetics (PP/M1/Edge)

I'd be using 0w20 or 5w20 in a Zetec Focus

QSUD going to 10k miles depends on your usage style. Are those mostly highway miles? If you're taking trips of at least 10 miles at a time, and your Focus's OLM (not like GM's I guess) says its OK, then go for it. Short trippers should change every 6 months, you can go 12 months or 10k miles if highway.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
QSUD going to 10k miles depends on your usage style. Are those mostly highway miles? If you're taking trips of at least 10 miles at a time, and your Focus's OLM (not like GM's I guess) says its OK, then go for it. Short trippers should change every 6 months, you can go 12 months or 10k miles if highway.

I agree that QSUD might be good for 10K in certain situations. I wouldn't go that far in a Cruze
turbo but I might in a Zetec or MZR Focus. I don't think I would take Magnatec to 10K in any vehicle simply because it's Castrol's third tier synthetic...I'd be leary taking black Edge 10K but I probably would.

Update:

It's from 2002, not DI, no OLM. Mix of short and long trips. About 10k in a year total, current fill is Edge Black 5w20.

Factory OCI suggestion was 7500 on SL dino.

I'd use M1 EP, Castrol Edge Gold bottle, or the LL-01 euro oils if I were running 10,000 mile OCI's.

With patience, these can be acquired at a modest cost over QSUD.

Use a premium filter for your application.

Sure, go ahead and save $17 for an extra regular oil change a year and screw up your engine...
Especially because people on the internet said you should ignore the owner manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SoNic67
Sure, go ahead and save $17 for an extra regular oil change a year and screw up your engine...
Especially because people on the internet said you should ignore the owner manual.

It was written almost 15 years ago, and oil has gotten a LOT better since that time. A modern SN/ACEA/dexos syn should be able to last just a third longer
smile.gif

If you want to go for extended OCI then get an oil designed to do that, Euro ACEA A3/B4 with BMW LL 01 or MB 229.5.

If the oil doesn't have those specs then I would keep to the factory OCI of 7500 miles.

It depends on how clean you want your engine to be on the inside. If you're one of those normal people who don't do any mechanical work and buy a new car every 3 years, you might as well run it to 10k.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It depends on how clean you want your engine to be on the inside. If you're one of those normal people who don't do any mechanical work and buy a new car every 3 years, you might as well run it to 10k.

The engine is quite clean inside with 10k OCI on synthetic (I've used Edge black and M1 on this car). I'm just asking whether the lower tier full synthetics would be just as good.

SR5 has very good advice here
smile.gif

Sounds like a very good plan to me. Now I would not mind using QSUD for 7500 miles. But going 10k miles it may well be better to go for an euro ACEA A3B4 oil.
If its ALL highway miles than maybe the QSUD could be a fine choice.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The engine is quite clean inside with 10k OCI on synthetic (I've used Edge black and M1 on this car). I'm just asking whether the lower tier full synthetics would be just as good.

If you want to stay clean with 10k OCIs go Redline with all its Ester in there.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you want to stay clean with 10k OCIs - go Redline.

Redline is harder to find than PUP!
crazy2.gif

And it never goes on sale and there's never any rebates for it either!

For Redline money I could just get Edge Gold or M1 EP.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Redline is harder to find than PUP!
crazy2.gif

And it never goes on sale and there's never any rebates for it either!

For Redline money I could just get Edge Gold or M1 EP.

Never goes on sale? Who cares, you're going 10,000 miles. You'll probably only change it once a year.

I think qsud is good for it.
Funny I keep seeing people say pu is hard to find while I see it all over round here. Its ay WalMart too here.^^^

Not here too Bigdaddyeasy.
Nearest place that has it regularly... 45 min west of me in Walmart. That Wally world does have a great oil section though. Best I've seen just about anywhere.

I like Magnatec but I wouldn't consider it a 10k oil without a UOA to back it up. It would be a great choice for your 7,500 OLM though IMO.

To do 10k without a UOA I'd want as the other's suggested a higher tier syn. JMO.

I don't see why QSUD couldn't do 10K in a non-DI 4 cylinder engine. Seems like overkill to use some of the aforementioned long-life synthetics in a 2002 Ford Focus.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I'll be using PP 0w20 in this car since I got a 5qt jug on clearance at Kmart for $9.00

PP should definitely make it to 10k
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back