Difference between 4 stroke oil and car oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella HDEO synthetic blend in 10W-30 would be a good choice.

Right now, I'm using Castrol Edge EP Gold bottle 10W-30 in my 18 HP Kohler.

I got a good buy on it a few months ago.

Originally Posted By: car51
I believe 4 stroke oil would have either "low ash" or "zero ash" additive package. Please correct me if I am wrong

Are you thinking of 2 cycle oil?
tcw3 vs tc ?

although as mentioned Full, mid, low saps euro oils could technically be described that way as well.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
A lot of 4 stroke oil has an additive pack worthy of a racing oil.

By the standard older API classifications (SG SJ SH...) have more ZDDP but that doesnt automatically mean that they are good for racing
smile.gif

That's not what I said. Many companies use a similar formulation as the motorcycle oils, which are very fortified in more ways than simply ZDDP.

From what I've seen over the years, lawnmower engines can run forever on most any form of lubrication. The kid next door at camp was given an ancient Toro and he brought out to cut the grass. He hit a stump or something and stalled it. It wouldn't start after that so we tipped it on it's side to look things over and black ooze started spilling out of the crank case ventilation tube. I told the kid to check the oil. What oil? I bet that machine was running on less than four oz. of tar like grease and it was running pretty good. Smoked a bit on start up but ran clean thereafter.

We put far too much effort into analyzing what would be the best oil for lawnmowers. Any engine oil will do the job and I doubt very much that the type or brand will have any influence on it's longevity. The machine will likely fall apart before the engine fails provided it has some form of oil in it.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
From what I've seen over the years, lawnmower engines can run forever on most any form of lubrication. The kid next door at camp was given an ancient Toro and he brought out to cut the grass. He hit a stump or something and stalled it. It wouldn't start after that so we tipped it on it's side to look things over and black ooze started spilling out of the crank case ventilation tube. I told the kid to check the oil. What oil? I bet that machine was running on less than four oz. of tar like grease and it was running pretty good. Smoked a bit on start up but ran clean
thereafter.

We put far too much effort into analyzing what would be the best oil for lawnmowers. Any engine oil will do the job and I doubt very much that the type or brand will have any influence on it's longevity. The machine will likely fall apart before the engine fails provided it has some form of oil in it.

In other words, don't bother buying the overpriced lawn mower engine oil. Car oil will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back