Pat Goss is an Idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw his latest segment "Don't Self Diagnose" part of the Motorweek show on Velocity network.

[Before I rant, let me say Velocity is one of the best resources for everything cars: auctions, restorations, maintenance, etc. Pat Goss would do well to watch and learn from their "All Girls Garage" among other fine shows.]

This guys seems to to be a stooly of the service writers, dealers, vendors, etc who think a car owner is incapable of knowing anything technical about how to diagnose or fix anything on a car. Take it to a dealer, let them handle it all. Code readers are "silly".

Just remember probably a small percentage of viewers are knowledgeable enough to do what he is advising against.

He is not giving YOU the advice, just 'most of the listeners'

Someone i knew thought the air filter was for filtering the air into the cabin..... those people.

Last edited:
First off, Goss isn't an "idiot". I know its easy to call people names over the internet, but resist the urge. Leave that to Trump.

Secondly, for most people, when they do look up the Pxxx OBDII code, they won't have a clue what it means. Sometimes its kind of complicated what the code says, and what it really implicates.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Just saw his latest segment "Don't Self Diagnose" part of the Motorweek show on Velocity network.

[Before I rant, let me say Velocity is one of the best resources for everything cars: auctions, restorations, maintenance, etc. Pat Goss would do well to watch and learn from their "All Girls Garage" among other fine shows.]

This guys seems to to be a stooly of the service writers, dealers, vendors, etc who think a car owner is incapable of knowing anything technical about how to diagnose or fix anything on a car. Take it to a dealer, let them handle it all. Code readers are "silly".

Most people don't know what a code reader is. His talking points are geared to 97% of car owners. It seems most time any topic/subject with the word "dealer" pops up on BITOG people on here go nuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Well, There IS one of those, on most newish cars, these days......So...

We've had OBDII standardized codes on cars for 20 years now.
Before that, OBDI, which was much more manufacturer dependent codes, so still usefull, but not as comprehensive (thank the EPA for the OBDII laws).

Goss does what his handlers tell him to do.

Radio/Magazine/TV/Newspaper/... writers/mechanics/personalities do nothing for me. Some are idiots or just clueless. Many are simply paid by whoever the sponsor flavor of the month is.

I've dealt with the local equivalent and I would certified the local as an idiot. Haven't met Goss but not impressed by the show.

Haven't watched/heard/read Goss in a long time but always get a good laugh at picking 'em apart when someone leaves it on.

Usually the newspaper and radio show mechanics,... spend time pushing their 'shop', or a product, while scaring consumers into not doing a DIY thing.

He has a good point....there are people out there trying to be wannabee mechanics.... wasting money by throwing parts at the problem. But then again some mechanics do the same thing.

My dad's one of those idiots, he'd probably like that show. Dad scans codes, writes them down, googles them, clears them (and the monitors) then marches down to his mechanic demanding a specific job. I hope said mechanic gets top dollar out of him for his trouble.

He may or may not be an idiot...

His point has some merit, though I think it is poorly made.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling the shop what you think is wrong and why you think that, but you should tell them what the symptoms are as well...

Of course I think people should do some resect before accepting everything a doctor would say too...

For a lousy $3500.00 on a $85,000 truck, I'll buy the extended warranty out to 100,000 miles.

Now it can break down in the middle of no-where, I'll jump into a free rental and I'll see ya when its fixed.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Pat Goss is an Idiot

Since you sit around watching him on the idiot box, what does that tell people about you?

I haven't listened to his show in years, but he used to be pretty good. Though he did use to push the BG oil flush which I was never a fan of.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
First off, Goss isn't an "idiot". I know its easy to call people names over the internet, but resist the urge. Leave that to Trump.

Secondly, for most people, when they do look up the Pxxx OBDII code, they won't have a clue what it means. Sometimes its kind of complicated what the code says, and what it really implicates.
You mean Biden, no?

Last edited:
Fat Pat reminds me of the Sparklers who write about cars for AOL. I quit watching the show. I'd rather get my tips from Ed China. Even "High End Wayne" can be interesting, and the Phamtom Works guy, although he seems angry at the world.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Fat Pat reminds me of the Sparklers who write about cars for AOL. I quit watching the show. I'd rather get my tips from Ed China. Even "High End Wayne" can be interesting, and the Phamtom Works guy, although he seems angry at the world.

Agreed.

But Edd China can still shill when needed
Look into Terraclean, you'll see what I mean

Most of the soapbox "auto experts" on TV and popular YouTube channels are bull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back