Gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
C$0.979/l is the cheapest reported price here this morning, which works out to C$4.44/Imperial gallon.

x 3.78 l/US gallon = C$3.70/US gallon

x 0.7634 US$/C$ = US$2.83/US gallon

I paid typically C$0.55/Imperial gallon when I started driving in '74. That's about C$0.467/US gallon back then. According to the Bank of Canada's inflation calculator, if gasoline had kept pace with the rest of the CPI, we'd be paying the 1974 price x 4.8736, so C$0.55/Imperial gallon then would now work out to C$2.68/Imperial gallon now. So at C$4.44, gas is a lot more expensive now than it was then.

Offsetting that, my real income is way up, my vehicles get much better mileage, and I drive way less, so as a % of income gas has dropped.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I don't think anyone loses jobs for this.
Do more folks get jobs when the price goes up??

Oil related companies and companies tied to oil production manufacturing are affected.
We sell CNC machines and do service work on them. We've slowed down both in sales and service. Recently a couple of companies that we provide service for and have been around for over thirty years just folded and closed their doors. Lots of shops around Houston have been cutting hours and have been letting people go. NOV in Willis , Tx just announced that they are shutting their doors permanently. And when the gas goes back up, shops start hiring , buying cnc machines etc to meet demand.

Last edited:
Just got some at the Shell across the line in MD for $2.69, it's $2.79 - $2.85 in town I live in in PA. Last week it was $2.90 - $2.94 on the PA-76 Turnpike, although they always seem to gouge you at those places. Oddly enough I was seeing it for $2.59 in Williamsport, PA the day I came home Friday.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Got gas today in Terrell,Tx for 1.99.
Hope it starts to come down all over.

Wow...best I saw going to Houston yesterday was about 2.25/ga.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
$3.99 Arco San Diego, CA.

Holy carp! Talk about gouging!

So why aren't those evil speculators gouging in N. Ohio and Texas and other places?? $2.59 In Pa.

Originally Posted By: Al

So why aren't those evil speculators gouging in N. Ohio and Texas and other places?? $2.59 In Pa.

I just paid $2.16. I guess gouging speculators don't care about us............

Originally Posted By: Al

You can't compare gas prices in CA to most places in the US. Not only does CA have ridiculously high gas taxes but they call for the most expensive fuel blends.

We suffer from high taxes and having to use expensive fuel blends here in the Northeast too although it is not at bad as it is in CA. I can't understand why anyone wants to live there with what it costs.

As far as price gouging. With crude in the high $40 to low $50 range gas should be under $2 everywhere. Most expensive I have seen crude trade in over a year is like $58. Definite price gouging going on based on cost of crude.

$2.60+ here for E10 87

Last edited:
Not a real surprise really. California has had much higher prices than the rest of the nation for a long time. I feel bad for them to an extent.

One refinery in IN goes down and prices all over the Midwest jump 60 cents a gal overnight...talk about gouging!

Prices dropping to $2.87 yesterday. I read on GasBuddy that one made it to $2.82.

Mid-grades running about $.30 to $.40 more and Premiums about $.30 more than that.

Paid $2.009/gallon for regular 87 octane unleaded at a Wawa (with credit card) near Woodston NJ (along Rt 40 on the way to Atlantic City). Full service too.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Prices dropping to $2.87 yesterday. I read on GasBuddy that one made it to $2.82.

Mid-grades running about $.30 to $.40 more and Premiums about $.30 more than that.

I can confirm this. Last Thursday prices for 87/89/93 at Amoco were 2.57 / 2.87 / 3.27.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
$1.98 Costco this morning. No complaints. Thanks oil companies.

Why aren't the evil traders/speculators driving the prices up???

Hoping Grampi answers that question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back