Ryobi CS30 grass trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 70's my father had a mower with a 2 stroke engine. He blended mixed gasoline with "USED" 30 wt oil. He had a measuring cup for the mixture. That mower ran for many years until he sold it in the 80's. That was then, this is now. I recently bought a used Ryobi CS30 grass trimmer 2-stroke for $20. The seller told me to use 2 cycle oil 50:1 only. Is this true? I cannot use HD30wt oil?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Even if you COULD use HD30wt, you've provided no good reason to disregard what the seller told you to use in the trimmer. Assuming it's a good trimmer and you want to continue using it, that is. On the other hand, if you really don't care and you're willing to lose your investment to find out...then give the 30 wt a whirl and find out for yourself. Don't forget to post the results.

Back in the day there were no specific 2 stroke oils so manufacturers called for standard 30 weight oil. Nowadays we do have better, 2 stroke specific oils, and that's what this trimmer was designed for.

Back in the 40's, 50's, 60's, it was common to mix regular motor oil into the fuel at ratios of 16:1 and 24:1 etc. It was the OLD way of doing things.

Newer 2 stroke oil is much cleaner, gives less deposits, runs better, smokes less, and provides good protection at 40:1 and 50:1 which is the industry standard today.

There are two types of 2 stroke oil sold today: TCW3 for water cooled boat engines and JASO FC/FD for air cooled power equipment. You need a good JASO FC/FD oil such as Echo, Husqvarna, or Stihl 2 stroke motor oil.

If you are just using this trimmer around the house, I HIGHLY recommend TruFuel as you will only use about 2 cans a year. It's a highly stable pre-mixed fuel with a 5 year shelf life that wont gumm up your carburetor. The difference between mixing your own gas and using pre-mix fuel is about $6 per year for most people. That's a small price to pay for an excellent fuel that wont go stale in 60 days and trash your carburetor.

a67d85e9-b614-4fec-8ad2-9d264806af40_300.jpg

+1 to bubbatime, Trufuel is excellent. Minimal mess, easy transport, long shelf life. Great for a single 2-cycle household.

If you have more than one engine to power (chainsaws, blowers, et al) consider getting a simple 1 or 2.5gal gas can. I just picked up some new ones at a garage sale for $1/ea. Cheap 2-cycle oil is available ready to dump in, no guessing or measuring needed. You're looking at a few bucks a year for typical homeowner usage. Remember to factor in the cost of the HD30 you're going to put in before you try it. Modern engines do not tolerate too much or too little oil well at all, let alone the wrong type. You can look forward to a scarred cylinder, plugged carb or exhaust, fouled plugs. It's just not worth it.

I'm lucky enough to live by a station that sells non-ethanol premium fuel. I highly recommend that as well if available. We're talking pennies more per year to keep you and your trimmer's carb happy.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Manual just says 2.6 oz per gallon which is a little vague

I'm not sure where the ambiguity lies; that tells you exactly how much 2-stroke oil to use. 1 gallon of fuel to 2.56 oz. of 2-stroke oil is a 50:1 mixture. 2-stroke oil is commonly sold in small 2.56 oz bottles for this purpose.

Instead of mixing fuel, however, I just use Trufuel. My stuff has never run cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back