Still minimal info on 2.8D Colorado/Canyon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the deal? It's like they're trying to drive people away to other brands by being extremely stingy with information about this vehicle.

Good point. If it makes 180hp that's completely useless on a truck that big. My car makes 150 roughly, at like 60% the weight, and it's slower than a dead turtle. Bet you can make nearly the same torque on the V6 with some tuning and relatively cheap modifications.

Last edited:
Quote:

They don't want people to know it has less than 200 hp.

I guess people buying a diesel based on HP, maybe shouldn't consider a diesel.

Diesels are about torque not HP. The 2.8D is supposed to have 181 HP @ 3400 and 369 lb-ft torque @ 2000. For comparison the 5.3L V8 gas is 355 HP and 383 lb-ft torque. Also, the 2.8 numbers are almost exactly what the 6.5L GM diesel was when it was intro'd.

How much of that rated 181 hp reaches the ground (after transmission-diff-airDrag losses)? We can figure up how steep a % grade that the 181 hp engine can pull a 2,000 lb trailer. A 2wd 2016 Colorado weighs 4,000 lbs, so that's 6,000 lbs to figure on.

The torque peak will be at a much lower RPM than a gas engine-369 lb./ft. @ 2000 RPM is a pretty good number-right at freeway cruising speed. My '93 6.2 C3500 in my sig has 165 HP & 330 ft./lbs. @ 2000-it's pulled 7K trailers (albeit not very quickly uphill)-I'd be concerned with the rest of the truck (transmission strength, DPF system, etc.) before the power numbers.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Exactly.

I calculate that the 2016 Colorado 2wd diesel will climb an 18% grade at 55 mph steady speed at max power, towing a 2,000 lb trailer.
I assumed 160 hp actually reached the ground, so I'm assuming about 21 hp was "lost" due to wind drag, drivetrain losses, tire losses altogether. Maybe I was being too generous with that 160 hp reaching the ground.
P watts / (W newtons * speed m/s) = grade fraction (small angle approx used)
P watts = 119,00 watts is 160 hp
speed m/s = 24.6 m/s is 55 miles/hour
W newtons = 27,000 newtons is 6,000 lbs
grade fraction is 0.18 result

If you assume only 140 hp reaches the ground after losses, then
the result is a 15% grade.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
How much of that rated 181 hp reaches the ground (after transmission-diff-airDrag losses)? We can figure up how steep a % grade that the 181 hp engine can pull a 2,000 lb trailer. A 2wd 2016 Colorado weighs 4,000 lbs, so that's 6,000 lbs to figure on.

Yeah, the torque numbers mean nothing. My 6.6L Duramax LBZ has less rated HP than the 5.3L gasser but 650 lb/ft torque. Guess I screwed up. Funny it seems to pull the trailer a little better up hills... calculate that!

Last edited:
If you've got 600 lbs of people and gear in the cab & bed, in addition to that 2,000 trailer, then you can only climb a 13% grade, assuming 41 hp losses (140 hp reaches the pavement). 55 mph sustained uphill speed again.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Yeah, the torque numbers mean nothing. My 6.6L Duramax LBZ has less rated HP than the 5.3L gasser but 650 lb/ft torque. Guess I screwed up. Funny it seems to pull the trailer a little better up hills... calculate that!

You're forgetting Power = Torque x RPM, and you're also forgetting a diesel doesn't get to high RPMs.

Quote:

Exactly. I'd have to laugh at folks swooning over their 200hp ga$$ers in a minitruck.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Quote:

Exactly. I'd have to laugh at folks swooning over their 200hp ga$$ers in a minitruck.

Early dodge cummins with auto appear to be 185HP/440 torque. (sorry no metric equivalent here lol)

Apparently useless by some people's standards.

Last edited:
Completely off-topic, but...

Registered 5/31/2015... 775 posts? Over 10 posts a day on a forum this small? That's darn close to replying on every single new topic.

Guy must be an expert on... everything.

THE POINT BEING that the gas V6 could easily make near that torque with a tune and some stuff like a high flow muffler/intake/etc. No stupid [censored] DEF or anything to waste money on.

I said that when I heard of the diesel Colorado. 180hp? no way it will tow 6,500lb and make people in North America happy.

Torque may be applied force, but horsepower is how fast you get work done. I predict scores of complaints about how it is underpowered compared to the gasser.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I can take that; I used to own a diesel car and would like another. I am not a diesel hater. 200hp in a mid size pickup ought to be enough. But for most drivers--it won't be.

Originally Posted By: horse123
THE POINT BEING that the gas V6 could easily make near that torque with a tune and some stuff like a high flow muffler/intake/etc. No stupid [censored] DEF or anything to waste money on.

It probably could...but it'd also use at least 25% more fuel than the diesel. I drive a 2.8 Colorado occasionally at work, and it's far from underpowered. Try one when they're released there, you might be surprised
smile.gif

Of course it would use more fuel, diesels get better fuel economy. A lack of power would never be worth the economy if you tow much.

edit: a tune that adds 30hp on the full sized trucks also usually adds 2-3mpg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back