NPW water pump: Any experience with this brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNL

A while back, I installed an O'reilly brand water pump on my Toyota. The pump was made in USA and the casting looked fine. I installed it and used OEM red coolant. Well, 20K miles later, it leaking out the weep hole and getting worst. Since the pump is driven by the timing belt, I decided to skip using the O'reilly warranty and get good parts. I have a friend at a shop that I can get all the parts at a discounted price.

I got Mitsuboshi belt, NTK bearings, THO and Stone cam/crank seals. (All made in Japan)

I wanted a Aisin water pump but they were out of stock. So I had them order a NPW (Nissan Pump Work) instead since it's also made in Japan. I should have the parts by Tuesday. I search on BITGO, forums, and Amazon and many show NPW to be a reliable manufacturer but not much more. I was wondering if anyone can share any experience with NPW water pumps.

Thanks

Somebody makes a new pump in the USA? Only ones I have ever seen are Chinese made (Hytec,GNB...etc).

I had the same experience with a GMP pump from advance. I got a bosch pump from rockauto and haven't had any more problems, but they were both made in china. and that was on a 99 E-150 van.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Somebody makes a new pump in the USA? Only ones I have ever seen are Chinese made (Hytec,GNB...etc).
I went to find the Oreilly's water pump box in my garage, it actually read "assemble in USA with US and foreign parts". I know the TruFlow from NAPA for my car is made in China and Duralast is made in Mexico.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I had the same experience with a GMP pump from advance. I got a bosch pump from rockauto and haven't had any more problems, but they were both made in china. and that was on a 99 E-150 van.
I read on a few forums that GMB pumps have fallen in quality lately but I read mix result with Bosch pumps.

Have you thought about a Beck Arnley pump? Beck Arnley doesn't have factories. They rebox parts made by OEM (Aisin) other aftermarket manufactures (such as Japan's NPW or Korea's GMB). You might get OEM but again you might not. Some people aren't willing to take chances like that. However, it used to be that more often than not BA supplied the AISIN water pumps for their Toyota parts.

Can your friend get NAPA discount? NAPA used to carry Airtex which has reputation as Tier One supplier, but they may rebox/outsource some parts to other manufacturers you never know. Airtex was what they carried as their premium line now the "NAPA" line. Like I said, sometimes they make the pumps, other times they rebox Japanese aftermarket pumps like NPW and such.

Originally Posted By: icepickjazz
Have you thought about a Beck Arnley pump? Beck Arnley doesn't have factories. They rebox parts made by OEM (Aisin) other aftermarket manufactures (such as Japan's NPW or Korea's GMB). You might get OEM but again you might not. Some people aren't willing to take chances like that. However, it used to be that more often than not BA supplied the AISIN water pumps for their Toyota parts.

Can your friend get NAPA discount? NAPA used to carry Airtex which has reputation as Tier One supplier, but they may rebox/outsource some parts to other manufacturers you never know. Airtex was what they carried as their premium line now the "NAPA" line. Like I said, sometimes they make the pumps, other times they rebox Japanese aftermarket pumps like NPW and such.
I did looked into Beck Arnley but didn't like the gamble but like you said, most of the time they are rebox Aisin. If it wasn't for the rush to fix my car before the semester start, I would have order a Aisin kit online. My friend has an account with NAPA so I pay shop price for the parts. The NPW water pump was under NAPA's "Altrom Imports" brand. There're good reviews on NPW but not many and that why I'm second guessing myself.

I got one in my Accord. Also Mitsoboshi belt and Toyo or whatever tensionsers.

Anyway, have about 25,000 miles on it with no issues. Seemed decent quality, maybe a notch below the one that was in there.

Originally Posted By: brages
I got one in my Accord. Also Mitsoboshi belt and Toyo or whatever tensionsers.

Anyway, have about 25,000 miles on it with no issues. Seemed decent quality, maybe a notch below the one that was in there.
Thanks for the input. A few forums mention that NPW is an OE supplier for Nissan and Honda but I have no hard evident. I'll be happy to get 80-90K miles from NPW.

Originally Posted By: MNL
A few forums mention that NPW is an OE supplier for Nissan and Honda but I have no hard evident. I'll be happy to get 80-90K miles from NPW.

I can't find a "Nissan Pump Work". I did find a Nissan Pump MFG Co., LTD aka NPW. It does NOT seem they make OEM for anyone, going by this:

http://www.nitomainc.com/npw.html

"NPW (Nissan Pump Mfg. Co., Ltd.) is an only aftermarket supplier who manufactures water pumps in Japan. NPW specializes water pump manufacturing for Japanese name cars and trucks such as ACURA, DAIHATSU, FUSO, HINO, HONDA, INFINITI, ISUZU, LEXUS, MAZDA, MITSUBISHI, NISSAN, SCION, SUBARU, SUZUKI, TOYOTA and UD. NPW has a long standing reputation as being one of the best quality aftermarket water pump suppliers worldwide."

http://www.npw-mfg.co.jp/

If you dig, this page has per-marque PDF's of JDM applications.

http://www.npw-mfg.co.jp/members/catarogue_2012/water.html

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I can't find a "Nissan Pump Work". I did find a Nissan Pump MFG Co., LTD aka NPW. It does NOT seem they make OEM for anyone, going by this:

http://www.nitomainc.com/npw.html
Thanks for searching and sharing those web links. I thought it was called "Nissan Pump Work" since that what I read on the few other forums but as you found out, it's Nissan Pump MFG Co. Even with the lack of information, a few Subaru and Honda guys seem to have no problems with NPW pump. Some claim that they even use NPW as replacement at dealerships (I betting it's for older, out-of-warranty cars). I also don't think they supply any OE pump to any manufacturers.

Having said that, the NPW water pump is make in Japan (unlike all the other Mexico/China pumps) and has 12mo. warranty from Napa. There's some positive reviews about NPW on Amazon too. I could try to order the Aisin pump (no warranty) if you think they're better. It cost $25 more since it comes with the rear pump housing.

After much research, I decided to order an Aisin water pump. The Napa guy didn't process the order for the NPW pump yet so it wasn't a big deal to charge the order. I figure that since Aisin was the OE pump I pull of the Toyota at 80K (and looked prefect when I change the timing belt) the new Aisin should last just as long. The NPW may have worked out just fine but I didn't fell comfortable to be the guinea pig to test it. Aisin has a large reputation and a definite OE supplier.

I have seen a couple of reputable sellers on eeebay including NPW water pumps with their timing belt kits. Any more feedback on these water pumps ? As good as Aisin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back