0w30 and 0W40 semisynth - Canadians again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have read more times than I can remember that 0W20 must be synthetic...yeah, I know there's a blend or two out there.

The Esso cold temperature video is up again, and Esso said that their 0W for the test was a semi synth...so started meandering the 'net looking for 0W semis.

Found this, amongst others, and it seems that Canadians can have all sorts of fun things to add to their stash.

http://klondikelubricants.com/wp-content...ils_PDS.pdf.pdf

-50C pour points,
175 VIs from a semi synth
Yeah, they just make it into the CCS for a 0W, but are there.

http://klondikelubricants.com/wp-content...-US-GHS-SDS.pdf

Amazing what some companies can achieve with a semi that others can't get with "100% PAO".

Unless your a blender you don't really know which formulations will or won't meet certain criteria. The job of the marketing guys is to make you believe a lie and pay more.

Good on the Canadians for bucking the trend and showing that it CAN be done

Originally Posted By: Shannow

The Esso cold temperature video is up again, and Esso said that their 0W for the test was a semi synth...so started meandering the 'net looking for 0W semis.

Can you post a link to the video?

That's because IIRC, they are, I don't remember what you call it, but a "direct customer supplier" for their oils.

-50C pour point 'might' have some PAO in it, but I am not sure. Don't be fooled into thinking Klondike oil is any less synthetic than other synthetics... The probable reason you don't see 'synthetic blend' on every other oil blender (Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc...) is because they are not inherently honest about it, heck, Amsoil calls their OE and XL line synthetic, when it is the same thing, however, their SS line is a true synthetic.

EDIT: How can they call that oil an API SN, when it is a CJ-4 grade and also has 1200ppm ZDDP?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zpinch
-50C pour point 'might' have some PAO in it, but I am not sure. Don't be fooled into thinking Klondike oil is any less synthetic than other synthetics. The probable reason you don't see 'synthetic blend' on every other oil blender (Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc...) is because they are not inherently honest about it, heck, Amsoil calls their OE and XL line synthetic, when it is the same thing, however, their SS line is a true synthetic.

This

Last edited:
Napa Carries it 0w20,5w20,5w30 Full Synthetic and 15w40 diesel picked up a 5 litre jug $31, back label says fully synthetic base oils used

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: zpinch
-50C pour point 'might' have some PAO in it, but I am not sure. Don't be fooled into thinking Klondike oil is any less synthetic than other synthetics. The probable reason you don't see 'synthetic blend' on every other oil blender (Mobil, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc...) is because they are not inherently honest about it, heck, Amsoil calls their OE and XL line synthetic, when it is the same thing, however, their SS line is a true synthetic.

This

Found another blending guide yesterday afternoon, posted a link to it in the technical section.

Contains the following chart, showing broadly that a 0W30 and 0W40 can be made with GrII(+) ... yes with a fair bit of PAO.

0W%20blends.jpg

For completeness, here's a link to the EC45 product that Mobil make.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Basestocks/files/br_Base-Stocks-EHC45.pdf

So a 0W30/40 syn blend is well and truly possible.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
How quickly do you think, while in use, would the oil lose it low temperature capabilities?

Dunno, but during the API testing, they are allowed to slip a W grade...they obviously don't all do it, but I would think a blend is probably more likely.

I remember 0W30 Esso Super Flow at gas stations long before XM took over the Esso brands in Canada.

That would be early 2000s, about the time Petro-Canada was getting their new group III lube plant on line.

(Correct me if I am wrong, but was that under the Chevron model and copy right?)

Shortly after, we saw Pet-Can Duron XL 0W30 Syn Blend and years later 0w40.

Prior to that I used 0W40 Esso XD-3 0W40 in just about everything except the Benz, which took 0W40 M1.

More of a history lesson than a technical post, we lost our Esso brand to Mobil, which is sad in a way because we get familiar with products.

Suncor, on the other hand, kept the Petro-Canada label in Western Canada.

For the purpose of this discussion, if you down-load Pet-Can's 2013 hand book, you will see a group II+ in the base oil section.

What exactly the difference is between that and a group III is a mystery to me, and who cares really?

A synthetic blend that meets 0W30. I'm not going outside for less than a grand in that weather, and if the truck doesn't start? Good.

MSDS on Klondike oils tells a lot. Not hiding much as much as other brands.

If a group III base is 120+ VI, how much performance will you lose by using a 119 VI base? 118 VI base? 117 VI base? 116...?
Simple ratio in more PAO, VII VM, PPD.... and meet the spec.

Maybe we'll see more groupII/IV or II+/IV/V blends with the newer star, comb, asteroid, hairbrush, ...... viscosity index improving modifiers.

https://www.s-oil.com/siteEng/business/lube/api.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back