New vehicles on dealer lot for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, next time you are going to post something, make sure it's a correct statement; not YOUR opinion.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Been here long? that's all the so called experts give around here
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Someone said earlier in this thread, that oil cannot tell time.

This is incorrect.

Oil in the pan oxidizes over time, degrading it's effectiveness.

So there is a reason to be concerned with a vehicle that has sat on a lot for many months.

Had the oil been in a capped bottle, it would not oxidizes so fast, and it would not be a concern.

I don't think that you'll find any measurable oxidation over less than geologic time unless a Bunsen burner were kept under the sump at all times.
In the absence of heat, motor oil doesn't oxidize to any measurable degree.

My Mirage had 138 miles, manufactured in August 2013, I purchased it new off the lot December 31,2014. That put my oil at 15 months old, as soon as I bought it I drove to and from the dealership (75 miles round trip) twice and around town before I could change it at Jan, 4 2015/492 miles. I wasn't sure what kinda oil they used from the Thailand plant or what 15 months in the crank case + wild test drives could have done so I changed it asap. I read a lot of people request a oil change before taking delivery of a vehicle that has sat more than 6 months on the lot, I should have done this but I didn't think about it at the time.

Last edited:
I changed the oil in my car at 1200 miles. My 2010 was built in late 2009 and I bought it in February of 2011.

I changed the oil early partially because the car sat for an extended period of time, and partially because I wanted to have synthetic oil in a turbo engine, ASAP.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Someone said earlier in this thread, that oil cannot tell time.

This is incorrect.

Oil in the pan oxidizes over time, degrading it's effectiveness.

So there is a reason to be concerned with a vehicle that has sat on a lot for many months.

Had the oil been in a capped bottle, it would not oxidizes so fast, and it would not be a concern.

I tend to agree with this statement. Ive read, or something, about acids. Guess that puts me in the change before you store instead of change when bringing out of hibernation.

Also, in some OMs they state to not go beyond a year on oil changes, for, I suspect, because of the above reason.

However, I would try to get at least 3000 miles on the FF unless the manual wants it drained sooner.

Some dealers are very proud of their vehicles and own them for a long time. Our local GMC dealer is full of 14's and I think they just got rid of the last 13 not to long ago.

Edit* Just looked at their site they still have a 2013 2500, $1k off list wow that's a WAY better deal than a freshly made 2016!

Last edited:
My Mustang was six months old when I bought it in August of 2013. I waited until the car was one year old and had 4,600 miles on it before I changed the original oil fill. The car just turned over 13,000 miles and runs great with no measurable oil usage or any weird engine noises.

When I bought my 1998 Chevy Z71 ext-cab in May of 98, it was six months old and I probably waited until the truck was a year old to change the oil. Truck now has 130,000 miles and still runs great.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back