Glue for badge that fell off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "EX" badge on my Accord fell of some time ago and I'd like to re-attach it. What kind of adhesive or glue should I use?

Here's a pic of the badge in-question from another car:
05.jpg

Tom Slick is right.
3m VHB is a special type of double-sided tape, much stronger adhesive from regular double-sided tape, but has to be applied to pre-cleaned surfaces. You may have to buy a solvent for surface preparation.

That emblem is only about 10 bucks and it will come with new adhesive.

The proper tape for reinstalling it will probably cost nearly that and you have to cut the tape to fit.

If the foam remains on the emblem from the factory tape and is mostly intact there is a transfer adhesive that any larger body shop should have. You press the emblem onto a piece of it and it transfers new adhesive to the old foam. I forget who makes it and it isn't cheap.

Automotive goop is pretty good. It's flexible when it's cured and sticks well.
Just put some tape on the emblem while it's setting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
3m double sided tape

+1. There is a specific dark grey type for this...

Don't do like the guy did, who was the first owner of the BMW 330i that my friend bought.

He tried to use gel Super Glue to glue the end of a piece of trim that was lifting up... and ended up dripping the glue all down the side of the passenger door.

It was a lease, and by friend got a good deal on it when he bought it. 3 years old, low miles, perfect condition... there's just some SuperGlue dribbled down the side of the passenger door. It looked like sap from a pine tree.

Good deal. Will pick up some 3M double-sided tape. Thanks everyone!

I went to CarQuest (new name) and the guy there brought out the 3M. It has been a month or two and the new Ram logo has not fallen out of the new grill.

Chewing gum. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but strangely enough it works great.

How do I know? Many years ago, I took a trip to Australia for 3 months. While I was there, I found a little ceramic frog, and just for fun, stuck it to the front of the hood on my girlfriend's mom's car using some chewing gum I had been chewing on.

.. it's STILL stuck to the car, and shows no signs of even coming loose.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back