2014 Santa Fe PP 5w30 2500 km

Status
Not open for further replies.

aws

Just got my first report back from Blackstone was surprized how quick there were,
The motor is the 2.4 GDI and was concerned with fuel dilution so the factory fill was dumped at 2000 km and the fill was PP 5w30 and oil had about 2500 km on at sample.

Took sample on June 27 and got busy and never sent my sample in till July 20, but was up for my 6 month service July 6. Dealer used Castrol 5w20 and asked if 5w30 could be used and was told Hyundai recommends only the use of 5w20. I did the oil change at the 2000 km and used a Hyundai filter so the dealer would not know about the oil change.

And after seeing my UOA I was right about the fuel dilution @ 1.5 and the shearing was wondering what you guys have to say
Paint_UOA_zpsqzqtbukw.png

Last edited:
If viscosity drops down to 8 cSt after just 2500 km, I'd definitely continue to use 5w-30 even though Hyundai says 5w-20. I guess fuel dilution is the culprit, not VII chemical breakdown shear since not very many miles.

Excellent choice IMO. Hyundai/KIA still allows 5w30 unless something has changed recently, and clearly a better choice for your GDI.

A 5w20 would be down to 6 something kv100 by now, zikes!

By running a 5w30 in this vehicle, you are actually running the 5w20 the CAFE Nazis are calling for anyway.

I also prefer 5w30 in our KIA however it is not GDI.

Check your owners manual. 5w20 is for best MPG... might list the other grades that can be used. Factory service manual may also lists grades not in the owners manual.

Looks good. Fuel brought the 5w30 down to a 20 grade. So, stick with the 5w30.

Keep an eye on oil level and top off for consumption.

If you want thicker oil, consider the Euro longlife 5w30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back