Thoughts on 2014-2015 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/5137808637.html
20.gif

Mid size to compact is a real let down. Test drive a tad longer and you figure it soon. Especially highway or bumpy roads...

Also if kids are factor soon stick with midsize as you will outgrow a small car.

A well loaded Corolla will steal feel cheap compared to base Camry in driving manners and comfort. Same is true of civic/accord.

Good luck

We have a '14 Corolla with the CVT, insane gas mileage and power in it's class, I wouldn't even consider the 4 speed auto, spend a little more and get the CVT.

Got ~44 mpg with cruise control set to 80 mph, between Chicago & St. Louis

Last edited:
If you are tall you will feel somewhat cramped at least in the drivers seat, don't know about any other seating positions.

I'm very happy with both of my civics (8th gen). I have two kids and we adapt perfectly fine using two compacts as our get around vehicles.
Having said that, I believe you can't go wrong with either a Corolla or a Civic. Personally, I liked the body style of the civic more than that of the Corolla. Still do.
With the later gen. you get a bit more technology with the Civic. With the Corolla you get more storage and more leg room. They really are that close. The drivetrain has similar torque and both cars have similar horsepower.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
We have a '14 Corolla with the CVT, insane gas mileage and power in it's class, I wouldn't even consider the 4 speed auto, spend a little more and get the CVT.

Got ~44 mpg with cruise control set to 80 mph, between Chicago & St. Louis

I would pick the 4 speed over the CVT. I want a drive train that I dont have to worry about long term.

I have absolutely no problem when people want to buy a new vehicle.

I do have a problem when they try to hoodwink themselves and the forum with absolutely bogus rationale :-(

Nobody needs to provide the rational for why you want to buy a car. So why do some of you go through all the trouble to give most ridiculous of reason and then get upset when gets called out?

How is possible that you can afford to spend $17K now but you will not be able to spend $17K later? Put that $17K in the bank at 0% interest and you will still have $17K in five years.

Greg, just curious how you now you won't be able to afford that 17K in a few years but you are trading in a perfectly serviceable car now, I am all for new cars, our economy would suck even more without new car buyers, but if a 2006 Accord owned by YOU can't last another 7-9 years then Honda really messed up somewhere, I am in no way criticizing you because I did the same thing a few years ago, I convinced myself I needed a new car before my life got to busy, so I bought one and overpaid for it +high interest , and guess what, I had more problems with it then my used Camry that is paid for that still runs like a top. Remember taxes, insurance will likely go up with a new car, does FL have personal property tax/ emissions/safety?

It's really splitting hairs when you can't find an obvious fault with today's econoboxes so you have to make them up, like saying "I want a drivetrain that I don't have to worry about" in reference to the Corolla CVT, like calling the CVT junk automatically makes you more knowledgeable in that area than the engineers at Toyota/Honda.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So mostly positive comments so far. I am also looking at a used 2013 Civic with 20,000 miles on it. It has more of the features I would enjoy but they are asking $18,500. They would have to get it down to $17K for me to be interested.

You should be able to get out the door on a new 2015 Civic LX for near that price. Its hard to get a bargain on a gently used Japanese vehicles. That's why we bought new. Every time we found a deal there was something wrong with it. A new Corolla should go for about $1k less than a new Civic. We have a 2013 Civic with 50k on it now and it has been a great car for us. The only thing that had to be replaced was the two rear TPMS sensors covered under warranty.

Last edited:
Lol this forum is a little strange at times. Everyone tries to talk everyone out of buying a new car. Greg, you don't NEED a new car, absolutely not. But you WANT one, and if you're bored with the Accord then go ahead and move on. You came on here to ask about the new Corollas, not about whether it's good financial advice to buy a new one. It's your money, not ours. Spend it how it makes you happy. I have no doubt your Accord has at least 200k left in it. You drive so little per year you don't really rack up the miles on it. I've put exactly 17,500 miles on the Beetle this past year, so 10 years would be 175,000 miles for me, I'd have no concerns of I had your Accord to drive it for 10 years.

But you WANT a new car, go for it! You could easily sell the Accord for $7,000 making your next car payment real low.

I wouldn't buy used though, not for the value you can get buying new. I posted a Corolla on this thread earlier, plenty of them for $13k

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol this forum is a little strange at times. Everyone tries to talk everyone out of buying a new car. Greg, you don't NEED a new car, absolutely not. But you WANT one, and if you're bored with the Accord then go ahead and move on. You came on here to ask about the new Corollas, not about whether it's good financial advice to buy a new one. It's your money, not ours. Spend it how it makes you happy. I have no doubt your Accord has at least 200k left in it. You drive so little per year you don't really rack up the miles on it. I've put exactly 17,500 miles on the Beetle this past year, so 10 years would be 175,000 miles for me, I'd have no concerns of I had your Accord to drive it for 10 years.

But you WANT a new car, go for it! You could easily sell the Accord for $7,000 making your next car payment real low.

I wouldn't buy used though, not for the value you can get buying new. I posted a Corolla on this thread earlier, plenty of them for $13k

Well the reasoning behind it is...in 2-2.5 years we will be looking into getting our first home. With our income we wont have any extra spending money for quite some time. By that time, the Accord will be aged and probably will need more frequent repair. So, if I could get a car with 30K or less and have it paid off in 1 year (thats the plan) I should have reliable transportation for quite some time, and not have to worry about when something is going to break, and will have have enough $$ to have it fixed. Also, in 5 years or so the Accord wont be worth much for trade in, or private party.

If people started making decision based upon financial information, nobody would buy a new car ever! I could easily give you financial reasoning to prove how your rational makes no sense but it really does not matter. You want new car and by God, you have earned it.

Go for it!!

For $18k, it should be possible to buy a lower-trim Civic or Corolla brand-new. Used compact cars are impossibly priced still, so it pays to buy new on an aggressive deal.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If people started making decision based upon financial information, nobody would buy a new car ever!

Or, have children!

Originally Posted By: mikefxu
Originally Posted By: gregk24
So mostly positive comments so far. I am also looking at a used 2013 Civic with 20,000 miles on it. It has more of the features I would enjoy but they are asking $18,500. They would have to get it down to $17K for me to be interested.

You should be able to get out the door on a new 2015 Civic LX for near that price. Its hard to get a bargain on a gently used Japanese vehicles. That's why we bought new. Every time we found a deal there was something wrong with it. A new Corolla should go for about $1k less than a new Civic. We have a 2013 Civic with 50k on it now and it has been a great car for us. The only thing that had to be replaced was the two rear TPMS sensors covered under warranty.

I went by to look at this Civic today and it was all scratched up, so much so that I am no longer interested...especially for what they are asking for it.

Greg, keep the Honda, invest the cash in a low interest CD to mature when you're about to buy the house, or in an IRA.

I see many older Accords on the road. I'm talking early to late nineties. Plenty. This is on the NorthEast "Rust" Coast for goodness sake. And they are getting their occupants to their destinations just as reliably as newer Civics and Corollas.

Mine has needed no major repairs and is at least two years older with 25k more miles. Will it need a new starter or alternator in the next 50k? Perhaps. I would be kind of surprised if it didn't. Will it need a major repair related to engine or transmission in the next 10 years? I highly doubt it.

I'd say the same thing if you had a Camry.

Don't fear the unknown. Instead, embrace it. Jump into that fluffy big, "H", and let go...

And, psst, "invest the cash."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back