Can I use European Oils in my Japanese Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 Euro 0w40 is often used in Japanese turbocharged engines, mostly Subarus. If you read the UOA section, it gives excellent results.

The 2008 and later Nissan GTR has Mobil 0w40 written on the oil fill cap. M1 0w40 is European style oil.

There are also UOAs of Castrol Euro 0w30 (used to be called GC) in Japanese engines. It also performs well.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Quote:
A European standard isn't necessarily better for your cars. It might not even be better for the European cars.

There are real performance differences. In Europe people also change oil every 15k miles with lots of short trips, and not 3k or 5k driving on big American highways with cruise control.

PYB or VWB can't do that. People have killed engines putting conventional oil in their European cars and then using factory specified European OCIs.

That being said, Japanese engines can easily go 300k+ miles on non-Euro conventional oil. Do you have anything to gain from switching? If you want something better use synthetic. Going to Euro oil I doubt you will see real world benefit unless perhaps you track your Lexus LS or want to do an extremely long OCI.

CamryDriver summed it up nicely. Euro oils are stout oils that must pass rigorous tests. I like them, I pay extra coin for them, but depending on your car and how you drive it - you may not actually need them. Still no harm done. Maybe a slight drop in economy as ExMachine pointed out, but I accept that. I like their high TBN so I can relax a little about the OCI.

Most ACEA rated oils are also API rated, so its not like one or the other, it's easy to get both.

The manufacturer specs just push it up another notch. MB 229.5, BMW LL 01, etc

I always buy a API spec oil, but I mostly want something extra with it, I typically go Euro but I would be just as happy with DEXOS 1. I think both would work well in a modern Japanese car.

It's your car, do what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back