Getting grease out of a cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tricks? I could only find this grease in cartridge packaging.

I don't now have a grease gun, or any use for one, and when I last had one it wasn't a cartridge type, but hand-packed.

What's the best way to get it out? There must be something better than a long-handled teaspoon.

Might a caulking gun work?

if you're hand packing and don't want to buy the right equipment (a grease gun) i don't see what's wrong with a popsicle stick or equivalent (e.g. paint stir stick).

Why get all your other equipment stuff greasy, then you're going to have to clean or throw out whatever tool you've whipped up.

Last edited:
that's why you have a 300mm steel rule.

And why you have lots of rags, and a patient wife when you come inside covered from head to toe in grease.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I just cut the tube down to the grease level when it gets past where my fingers can reach.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

This is exactly how I do it and it works great. Very little mess or trouble. So long as you make your cuts in the tube clean and square, the rubber end cap will still fit over the end of the tube and keep things nice and neat.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I just cut the tube down to the grease level when it gets past where my fingers can reach.

This I like, thanks...

..except for the fact that I should have thought of it myself..
..and the bits of tube casing that'd end up in the grease if I used a hacksaw..
..but with a sharp Stanley knife it'd be OK..
..thanks again.

Re stepping on it like toothpaste, I probably will.

But by accident.

On carpet.

Last edited:
As mentioned...Slice open the tube and(although messy), and put the grease into a Tupperware container. Even using a "dedicated" kitchen spatula to get all of the grease that you need/want!

My pneumatic grease gun doesn't like the tube. So I stuff rags in the back side and push it through with an extension.... kinda like a push pop

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Grease guns are cheap.

No grease nipples on the car.

Having a grease gun just as a means of dispensing grease seems overkill to me, especially as (from an internet search, no experience) people often seem to have trouble getting the cartridge type to work.

I had a couple of cheap (Draper I think, and a used one of unknown make) hand-fill ones many years ago for a Morris Marina which had a few nipples on. These were no trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back