Honda Civic 1.8 engine block cracking....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these 1.8's used to have this problem, where the engine blocks cracked and leaked coolant. Does anyone know if the issue was ever resolved? Any known problems with the 1.8 / 5 speed auto in the Civic? Is it capable of going 200K miles?

It's a roulette game. You either got it or you don't.

Every R18 I've opened with 150k+ miles has cylinder liners like a mirror. I've never found a spec in either coolant jackets or anywhere the oil travels.

The cracking usually shows itself a lot earlier than that.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
It's a roulette game. You either got it or you don't.

Every R18 I've opened with 150k+ miles has cylinder liners like a mirror. I've never found a spec in either coolant jackets or anywhere the oil travels.

The cracking usually shows itself a lot earlier than that.

Liners like a mirror. Does that Mean the honning marks are worn away?

If at all possible, try and buy a car at does not have a history of cracking blocks.
If there is no other option, buy the Civic and look for a local metalworker who can cold stitch. This way you get the car you want, you know it can be repaired, and you might learn something along the way.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It's old news, they fixed the problem a long time ago.

This^^^

Greg, what year are you looking at? This problem was addressed and does not affect cars from 2010- 2015.

Originally Posted By: 2civics
Greg, what year are you looking at? This problem was addressed and does not affect cars from 2010- 2015.

2013. Thanks for the feedback. How does the 5 speed auto hold up?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I know these 1.8's used to have this problem, where the engine blocks cracked and leaked coolant. Does anyone know if the issue was ever resolved? Any known problems with the 1.8 / 5 speed auto in the Civic? Is it capable of going 200K miles?

Greg, a hand full of 2006s has the problem, OLD news, you should know better.

Last edited:
Bummer. I would still have mine if it weren't for this. It was fixed with the later 2009's getting the stronger block. I had a early model '09 Civic EX that I bought in Oct 2008 and it was included in the warranty extension.

The TSB for the block cracking issue was for 06-08. We have two 07 Civics at work. One with low mileage one with high mileage. The one with low mileage cracked and was covered under the specially warranty for the issue. They had the short block replace in little over 24 hours with zero cost to us. Local dealer could not diagnose it the first time so we did an oil change and threw UV dye in the coolant. After the UV dye showed up in the oil cap we told them to keep it until they figured it out. I provided a copy of the TSB at the same time. If you look at the TSB it cracks in the PCV system so it slowly ingests coolant. Tracking the coolant level notes this is a slow process but it doesn't take much to turn your oil into a milk shake.

TSB: http://honda-tech.com/attachments/honda-...aks-coolant.pdf

Only other issue we had were the water pump pulley bolt that was a recall and the rear upper control arms that caused premature tire wear that was covered under a TSB. We didn't catch the tire wear issue soon enough so they wouldn't cover the tire replacement. Otherwise very reliable cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
The TSB for the block cracking issue was for 06-08. We have two 07 Civics at work. One with low mileage one with high mileage. The one with low mileage cracked and was covered under the specially warranty for the issue. They had the short block replace in little over 24 hours with zero cost to us. Local dealer could not diagnose it the first time so we did an oil change and threw UV dye in the coolant. After the UV dye showed up in the oil cap we told them to keep it until they figured it out. I provided a copy of the TSB at the same time. If you look at the TSB it cracks in the PCV system so it slowly ingests coolant. Tracking the coolant level notes this is a slow process but it doesn't take much to turn your oil into a milk shake.

TSB: http://honda-tech.com/attachments/honda-...aks-coolant.pdf

Only other issue we had were the water pump pulley bolt that was a recall and the rear upper control arms that caused premature tire wear that was covered under a TSB. We didn't catch the tire wear issue soon enough so they wouldn't cover the tire replacement. Otherwise very reliable cars.

*TSB was extended to early model 09's.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: 2civics

2013. Thanks for the feedback. How does the 5 speed auto hold up?

I have no complaints. I have an 09 and an 2011. Both have lower miles but the 09 has 61k miles on it and runs like it did when we bought it with 16k miles on her. She's been in the shop for exactly nothing whatsoever besides maintenance.

The 2011 has only 27k miles and runs like brand new as well. It's been in only for a window regulator which was covered under warranty.

The 9th gen Civics have been very tempting to me but I am of the mind that your best deal is the car you already own. I am going to keep these until the wheels fall off. Great ride. Solid acceleration and handling. Great gas mileage. Reliable as they come.

The kinks in the 9th generation were worked out after 2012 (the first year in the 9th generation) so if you are looking at a 2013, you are looking at the right model year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
mikefxu, it was beyond a TSB. It was a 8 year / unlimited mile warranty extension on 2006 to early 2009 R18's.

The warranty extension was described in the TSB we never received notice of the warranty extension I just self diagnose and gave them the car and the TSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back