Great offer from my Toyota dealer (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm not sure what you're griping about. It's not a bad price for someone who chooses not to do the work themselves. Is there a point you're trying to make?

There is probably $40-$50 in parts and somewhere around an hour of labor, plus the markup on the parts.

Ford dealer has a $29 special running all the time for 5 quarts of Motorcraft Oil and a motorcraft filter, free rotation, and they inspect a checklist of items on the car.

I used to have this service done on my Grand Marquis, and they charged 5 bucks extra because it held 6 quarts.

Fantastic deal, good service.

In my opinion, the dealer should check items on the car for free, and offer you the service of repairing them if they are worn. It is not a paid service to check out a car while it is on a lift. Any decent indy mechanic that you have a good relationship will inspect a car for 25 dollars.

I find the price of cabin filters to be way out of line, and the price of air filters to be insane. For any of my toyota applications, I can find a Denso OEM replacement cabin filter for 10 dollars, or a el cheapo cabin filter for 5 dollars. They do not cost 60 dollars, and they do not require an hour to put them in.

It is not a bash the dealer thread, I have had great service at the ford dealer and they have done a very good job. The toyota dealer I am working with now is an absolute joke.

Too bad I like the Toyota product better than Ford.

Toyota is not a luxury brand, yet they are running a special with rates that are Lexus prices.

With any of their passenger cars, $189 is not a good deal. It is a laugh. The only way it is not overpriced is if you have a luxury Toyota SUV, or a 4wd Truck that requires much more service (labor) to grease zerk fittings, check 4wd components, etc.

Looks like what Toyota might require for a 30,000 mile inspection to me.

People pay the $189 every day to have that done.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They are replacing a couple air filters.That could be 40-50 dollars right there.

+1. That plus the labor to do a tire rotation, which Id bet is $20 or so, means that you have a good deal more than just the oil change special... Which is a loss leader at most shops even into the $30 range.

If a tech actually does inspect everything for real, then there could be a good deal more labor.

From my experience, there's likely a marked difference between a $39 oil change with a quick visual inspection versus something that involves a billable hour of labor and typically takes considerably longer. I'm no apologist for dealers and do my best to avoid them, but if you think the $39 end product is the same as the $159 end product ( minus any variations in filter replacement, etc. ) then I can tell you it's likely they're not. Whether that's worth the price differential is another argument as it might be hard to quantify the difference.

To me, the argument isn't about what you might get the equivalent for...it's about what the standard rate is for a dealer or independent to do a thorough job.

Sure, you can have your mechanic buddy do it...but if you don't do it yourself, I don't know too many mechanics that will thoroughly inspect a car for much less than a billable hour of labor...they sure the [censored] won't do it for $25.00 unless it's a "Yeah, Yeah, OK...looks good" type of thing.

I wonder what they'd say if you asked for the brake rotor runout measurements.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Yeah, it's outrageous. Ford charges $39 for the same thing, including tire rotation, except the air filters. That explains why there were some old Toyotas waiting in line the last time I was there.

Ford uses this as a loss leader program to get customers in the showroom and also potentially get more service work done. They also may not be using a real Ford tech to perform task if dealership busy enough.

It works well for customers and makes Ford look great. They are not making money on the $30-$40 service except when more work is discovered OR this happy customer returns and has regular servicing/repair items done or even buys a car. And yes they do all makes as you can see to get customers in the showroom potentially.

My neighbor took his Toyota Sienna van in to the dealer to have both of the sliding doors adjusted as they did not open and close well.

The dealer charged him $1,200 with no parts at all.

I thought that was more like a robbery than a repair.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I wonder what they'd say if you asked for the brake rotor runout measurements.

Probably: "Umm...err...uhhhhhhhhh.......derp!"

I am just sitting down after doing the cabin air filter and engine air filter on the Odyssey. I had the done cabin air filter last time where the plastic bar had to cut. So now changing the air filter should not be that difficult, correct? I must have changed the engine air filter at least ten times in the past, so that should be trivial, right?

May be I am getting old but next time, I will gladly pay an hour of labor for somebody else to do this job. Took me lot longer than what I had thought it should have taken. Every screw which I had taken off, gave me hassle before it would catch in.

I used to like doing this; I *think* I still do but now I have my doubts.

Originally Posted By: callbay
My neighbor took his Toyota Sienna van in to the dealer to have both of the sliding doors adjusted as they did not open and close well.

The dealer charged him $1,200 with no parts at all.

I thought that was more like a robbery than a repair.

But the dealer has overhead, and things like that.
crackmeup2.gif

Typical dealer charges:
Cabin air filter: $60 (really!)
Engine air filter: $35
Tire rotation: $20
oil change i4: $25/65-syn (includes "21-point" safety check
Total: $140/185

Last edited:
a "full" dealer service like htis usually comes with a full-service car wash, so that should count for $20 of value too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Ford dealer has a $29 special running all the time for 5 quarts of Motorcraft Oil and a motorcraft filter, free rotation, and they inspect a checklist of items on the car.

Too bad I like the Toyota product better than Ford.

Toyota is not a luxury brand, yet they are running a special with rates that are Lexus prices.

With any of their passenger cars, $189 is not a good deal. It is a laugh. The only way it is not overpriced is if you have a luxury Toyota SUV, or a 4wd Truck that requires much more service (labor) to grease zerk fittings, check 4wd components, etc.

I just take my Toyota to the Ford dealer for the MC oil filter and oil. Only $25 but no rotation. I can get the rotations done for free at the tire place since that's where I bought the last set.

I do get coupons from the Toyota dealer for $21.95 for an oil change and tire rotation. But I still prefer the MC filter. The Ford dealer does price match but without the rotation. They only price match other dealers.

It sounds, if good, like they want to get the vehicle in and check it out. If the technician is concerned and does a genuine evaluation of the car AND also replacing worn parts, then who is to say that is expensive?

Looks like a good 30,000-50,000 mile 3-5 year preventive maintenance inspection and dealer serviced items.

Does anyone ever get this stuff done anymore? Or is it oil changes when you feel like it and fix stuff after it breaks?

Why does it seem everyone is low-balling the factory and dealer? First it is talk em down below sticker. Then demand cheap oil changes.

All of those engineers, manual writers, designers, delivery drivers, construction of the buildings and car plants, utilities, materials, ore, metallurgy, research and development, hiring managers, factory trained technicians, skilled machinists, robot maintenance, electricity for the welding, assemblers, engine builders, body formation, testing, customer service, fluid transport and dispensing, air filtration and HVAC, taxes, safety, emissions, EPA regulations, advertising brochures, paint mixing and spraying, tools, machines, assembly lines, consciencious environmental practices, correcting of errors, salesmen, secretaries, diagnostics, insurance, dental, proper uniforms and safety gear, clean water, soap, greases, anti seize, gaskets, funnels, dumpster rentals, brooms, oil absorbent, free test drives, tolerating hagglers...........can someone take over?

Dealers don't have to "tolerate hagglers", they can just give the hagglers a take or leave it price, and watch while the "hagglers" walk away to haggle/buy elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Dealers don't have to "tolerate hagglers", they can just give the hagglers a take or leave it price, and watch while the "hagglers" walk away to haggle/buy elsewhere.

If it was going to be a cash job that stealer is still letting a lot of money walk away, which isn't good business. Today the competition is so fierce (and the level of trust is so low) that most dealers will lower the price to get the cash business.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Yeah, it's outrageous. Ford charges $39 for the same thing, including tire rotation, except the air filters. That explains why there were some old Toyotas waiting in line the last time I was there.

Ford uses this as a loss leader program to get customers in the showroom and also potentially get more service work done. They also may not be using a real Ford tech to perform task if dealership busy enough.

It works well for customers and makes Ford look great. They are not making money on the $30-$40 service except when more work is discovered OR this happy customer returns and has regular servicing/repair items done or even buys a car. And yes they do all makes as you can see to get customers in the showroom potentially.

I'd be pretty surprised if Ford lost money on it. Pretty close to the bone pricing, no doubt.

Checking the brake pads, fluid levels, battery and inspecting the belts just isn't that big a deal if the car is already on a lift. The guy doing it is no mechanic. He might have a little systematic training compared to your average grease monkey. He has the advantage of servicing the same cars over and over again.

They want to keep people coming back,and they want the tradeins to be well maintained.

About $80 in parts and the rest are all inspections. Anyone can replace their own cabin and engine air filters . So oil change filter, $40, cabin and air filter $20 plus $20 or about $80 in reality. Inspections are such a gimmick, The would do inspections free anyway with an oil change to try to upsell you on more work.

Rotations, only if needed and not done recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back