Aftermarket Brake Pad Shim vs. OE Brake Pad Shim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did a front brake job on a 2004 Lexus RX330.

When quoting the brake job to the owner, I advised her that spending the extra $30 for a new brake pad shim kit from the dealer would be her best defense against noise issues.

While many of you on this forum may disagree with me on this matter (even after this post), I encourage you to take a look at the pictures below. As a reference, the aftermarket shim in this picture was from the Akebono ProACT pad for this application.

Untitled by The Critic, on Flickr

by The Critic, on Flickr

by The Critic, on Flickr

by The Critic, on Flickr

by The Critic, on Flickr

As you can see, there are some fairly significant differences in construction. The OE shim is a two-piece shim that is glued together; the outer piece is stainless steel, while the inner piece is a perforated steel/molded rubber piece. From what I can see, the aftermarket shim from the Akebono pad is also "layered," but not nearly to the same degree.

In my experience, at least on most Toyota and Nissan vehicles, using the OE shim from the dealer is crucial for eliminating noise issues during low-speed braking. If the OE shims are still in good shape and the vehicle still has low mileage (under 60k), you can often get-away with re-using the shim kit as long as you clean it up and re-lube with Molykote M77. Otherwise, I would highly recommend that you order a new shim kit from the dealer to ensure that the job gets done properly.

In conclusion, if you want the brakes to perform as quietly as they originally did, you need to use the proper hardware. Using aftermarket pads with aftermarket shims does not always deliver consistent results, but also remember that not all aftermarket shims are equal - for instance, the Raybestos EHT ones are much nicer than the above but are still nowhere near as substantial as the factory ones. But at the end of the day, you have to decide what level of brake noise you will be comfortable with -- and your experience may vary.

Last edited:
It looks much better.

I just did the fronts on my Fit, and I always smear the blue rubbery anti-squeal gel between the shim and the pad and also on the back of the shim.

This "sandwich" makes the rubbery squeak killer and it works very well.

There is nothing fun about pulling apart a fresh brake job to diagnose a squeal, only to reassemble and it is still present.

When doing jobs like this for other people I just recommend the best components and all the trimmings that way they aren't disappointed after.

OE is the best choice for customers who don’t mind spending a little more on their nice cars. For others that don’t have a lot of money or have a beater and use $30 pads its probably not the best option.
You did it right.

With all due respect to the OP. I have two Toyota's an Avalon and RAV4 and the Akebono Ceramic with their supplied shims are my pad of choice. I love Akebono for their quality and easy of installation. I experience no brake noise.

I know that on my dad's Nissan Altima I had to reuse the OEM shims as the ones supplied with Wagner TQ pads did not fit well and looked like a much cheaper product.

In some applications OEM is pretty much the only way to go if you want good and quiet brake operation.

Originally Posted By: Trav
OE is the best choice for customers who don’t mind spending a little more on their nice cars. For others that don’t have a lot of money or have a beater and use $30 pads its probably not the best option.
You did it right.

Totally agreed. The priority is that the job is done to make the car safe to drive, for nuisance issues like noise the bar is different, if you can afford to drive nicer more premium cars be prepared to spend more to maintain that high quality experience when servicing the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
With all due respect to the OP. I have two Toyota's an Avalon and RAV4 and the Akebono Ceramic with their supplied shims are my pad of choice. I love Akebono for their quality and easy of installation. I experience no brake noise.

I've found that you need to pay attention to the OEM shim design. The Prius and some of the lower-end Toyota vehicles have OEM shims that are not very robust, and are quite similar to the aftermarket ones. In those situations, either the OEM shim or the aftermarket shim will work -- and provide similar performance. But when you see significant differences in the construction of the shim, you need to take note.

Originally Posted By: Falken
It looks much better.

I just did the fronts on my Fit, and I always smear the blue rubbery anti-squeal gel between the shim and the pad and also on the back of the shim.

No no no, that's not the correct way to do the job. On those shims, you need to use a moly-type lube (M77 is ideal) as the shims are designed to "float" slightly. I just did a brake job where someone had previously used that goop and the pads (which were OE, btw) made a ton of noise as a result.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I recently did a front brake job on a 2004 Lexus RX330.

If the OE shims are still in good shape and the vehicle still has low mileage (under 60k), you can often get-away with re-using the shim kit as long as you clean it up and re-lube with Molykote M77. Otherwise, - and your experience may vary.

This was my experience last March when having my pads replaced with Akebono ASP pads (the "high performance" version of the ACT) @ 133k miles....reused the shims but lubed them with Toyo OEM grease...quiet and smooth as silk.

I just received Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads from Amazon.
It came without shims.

Should I reuse the old ones from previous pads or is it supposed to be used without shims ?

Originally Posted By: kb27
It came without shims.

Should I reuse the old ones from previous pads or is it supposed to be used without shims ?

They are supposed to be used without any shims.

I would highly recommend that you return the Wagners for something else though.

Wagner Thermo Quiet delievered without any shims.
Do I need to add shims or is this by design?

kdmve9.jpg

It came without shims.

Thank you. Given where I live, returning is costly option.
I bought it with a $5 coupon, so I think I'll just use it.

Was just surprised it came without shims, while I often used OE (topran)and Centric with shims.

It came without shims.

Thank you. Given where I live, returning is costly option.
I bought it with a $5 coupon, so I think I'll just use it.

Was just surprised it came without shims, while I often used OE (topran)and Centric with shims.

My Wagners said do not use shims and do not use grease. Why the hate for Wagners? They are fine pads.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

My Wagners said do not use shims and do not use grease. Why the hate for Wagners? They are fine pads.

Their built-in shim design is really lousy. Lots of noise complaints from the iATN boards, and from what I've seen on cars that have rolled into the shop.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Their built-in shim design is really lousy. Lots of noise complaints from the iATN boards, and from what I've seen on cars that have rolled into the shop.

Maybe that's why I got them for $5 after rebate. I don't have any complaints about them in my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back