Thoughts on 2014-2015 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to trade in the Accord in my sig. Don't want to spend over 17K, for this price I believe I can get in to a new car, or at least a gently used on. Would like to spend less but if I can get something new for that price or less it would be worth it to me. So the one I am looking at has the 1.8 with the 4 speed auto. Its a 2014 or 2015 model. Do these still have timing belts? Anything negative about them...problems etc. Open to other vehicles as well. To get into a Camry, Accord, or Civic I would more than likely have to buy used. Which is ok with me if its been well cared for and has low enough miles. Please share your thoughts!

Timing chain,It's probably been like 20 years since the Corolla had a belt, will probably out live you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looking to trade in the Accord in my sig. Don't want to spend over 17K, for this price I believe I can get in to a new car, or at least a gently used on. Would like to spend less but if I can get something new for that price or less it would be worth it to me. So the one I am looking at has the 1.8 with the 4 speed auto. Its a 2014 or 2015 model. Do these still have timing belts? Anything negative about them...problems etc. Open to other vehicles as well. To get into a Camry, Accord, or Civic I would more than likely have to buy used. Which is ok with me if its been well cared for and has low enough miles. Please share your thoughts!

I happen to like the freshened 2006 Accord sedan tail lights....I thought you loved that car? LOL, the dealer that gets you as a customer.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to get rid of your Accord? I thought you loved it.

Coming from an Accord, you are going to be disappointed with a Corolla, me thinks.

Try selling the Accord yourself before trying to trade it in. You probably won't get hardly anything on trade.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Coming from an Accord, you are going to be disappointed with a Corolla, me thinks.

We're taking about a 2006 Accord, not so different. In fact I think the current Corolla is probably the best in class you can buy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I do love it! This is why...in a few years I will not be in a position to purchase a car...and in a few years the Accord will need to be replaced. So I figured I should get into something that has a solid 10+ years left while I can.

Toyotas are generally quieter , better insulated from the road and outside noises and have colder A/C and better paint than comparable Honda, I think Lexus tricked down to Toyota a lot in those departments . My old 2001 Camry 4 banger is still whisper quiet that I occasionally have to glance at the tach to see it's running, even with the a/c on, OTOH you Accord will probably last you another 10 years, just curious why you won't be in a position to buy in a few years?

Here's a Corolla in Florida for $12,977 with a 4 speed auto. Use Auto Trader and sort by lowest price, the ads usually say if it's a CVT or 4 speed auto.

Link

I have no complaints about my 2003 Corolla. I think the new one uses the same basic engine. The new Corolla has a CVT. Due to a recall SNAFU, my Toyota dealer gave me a 2014 Corolla rental. With heated leather seats to boot. It was very similar to my 03 Corolla but very nice and will last a good long time.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I have no complaints about my 2003 Corolla. I think the new one uses the same basic engine. The new Corolla has a CVT. Due to a recall SNAFU, my Toyota dealer gave me a 2014 Corolla rental. With heated leather seats to boot. It was very similar to my 03 Corolla but very nice and will last a good long time.
The new Corolla is available with CVT and an Automatic

I would never trade in a car that was worth something if i could actually sell it for something. They pretty much always screw you on trade in value.

So mostly positive comments so far. I am also looking at a used 2013 Civic with 20,000 miles on it. It has more of the features I would enjoy but they are asking $18,500. They would have to get it down to $17K for me to be interested.

So mostly positive comments so far. I am also looking at a used 2013 Civic with 20,000 miles on it. It has more of the features I would enjoy but they are asking $18,500. They would have to get it down to $17K for me to be interested.

I've driven both (had a 2015 Corolla w/CVT as a rental), and I think the new Corolla is much better than the Civic, hands down. Quiet, plenty of power, well built for the money. I would not hesitate to buy one tomorrow if I was looking for a compact car.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I've driven both (had a 2015 Corolla w/CVT as a rental), and I think the new Corolla is much better than the Civic, hands down. Quiet, plenty of power, well built for the money. I would not hesitate to buy one tomorrow if I was looking for a compact car.

Thanks for the feedback. I do like the looks of the Civic better, and I like the sunroof and back up cam on the civic that I am looking at. I also am a Honda fan and although I have yet to drive the Corolla *hopefully will tomorrow*, I have drove a Civic before and liked how it handled.

I concur. I've generally favored Hondas over Toyotas after sampling many family members' cars; they seemed to have a verve and function/design better than the latter. Kinda like Ford vs. GM.

But, I had a Corolla S rental for a week that left a very favorable impression, and a reminder how even "economy" cars are so good nowadays. It was comfortable, well-screwed together, and things like the manual shifting of the gearbox were executed well (unlike on my rental Malibu, where it was clearly an afterthought). The radio paired easily with my phone, and I could easily control my music, while having nav directions ported over the sound system (again, quite unlike the Malibu).

Don't forget that this generation of Civic is the one that required the emergency facelift after being called out for having some fundamental issues (poor handling, NVH, cheap interior) when it was introduced.

Florida? Here's a real machine right here:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/5138681303.html

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/cto/5125876380.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/ctd/5152027830.html
20.gif

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/5148604541.html
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back