Having trouble remembering how to put things back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've noticed I'm having a lot of trouble remembering how things were put together. Or even putting something back where it was like for example putting a container of food back on the same shelf in the refrigerator. Any ideas on how to help this? Maybe I just have too much going on in my mind which causes me to be scatter brained? idk.

He forgot
smile.gif

Sorry!

Originally Posted By: CT8
how old are you?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Lately I've noticed I'm having a lot of trouble remembering how things were put together. Or even putting something back where it was like for example putting a container of food back on the same shelf in the refrigerator. Any ideas on how to help this? Maybe I just have too much going on in my mind which causes me to be scatter brained? idk.

A little trouble that comes on gradually, no issue. To quote you, "a lot of trouble" that occurs suddenly, I'd say talk to your doctor. It could be an early sign of something that he/she will want to know about - regardless of your age.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Well, this is the third day in a row, that you've asked the same exact question..

I'm temped to take the bait and search, but instead I'll just
crackmeup2.gif

Stress and lack of sleep wreak havoc on one's memory - get some sleep and some R&R and you'll be go to go. It usually takes me a few days after ending a long period of shift work to normalize.

When I'm working 80+ hrs/week I tend to forget the little things. I walk all the way to my car before reaching into my pocket to realize that my keys are still in my work desk. When I get home and hop in the shower, at the end of my routine I wash my face; I squeeze some face wash into my hand and then, before I realize it, I'm rubbing it into my hair.

Im pretty bad remembering things lately also i can't remember names sometimes.. I thought it was because i hit 50 but i know people in their 80's that never forget a thing my Mom included.. I was going to post this but i forgot... lol, really

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im pretty bad remembering things lately also i can't remember names sometimes.. I thought it was because i hit 50 but i know people in their 80's that never forget a thing my Mom included.. I was going to post this but i forgot... lol, really

It's from all those paint fumes you've been huffing over the years.....

Are youyou looking to really make an improvement and really want to do something about it or is this just internet chitchat?
You may need to put in some effort more than just posting to the Internet and hoping theres a magic bullet.

Go and buy a book on memory techniques, there's tons of them in the selfhelp section. Some maybe focused for people who are losing memory like the elderly and just want to function averagely Others are for go getters to be the best they can be and better than average.

Go to the library and borrow a book if you dont want to buy.

Alternatively if you really just want a magic pill [censored] the side effects, I think adderall or other drugs will have a noticeable effect.

Last edited:
I'm 38 and I have to think about which drawer is for socks and which is for underwear everyday. They've been in the same place for 11 years... But I can remember phone numbers that I haven't called in a year. I tell my wife that my brain only remembers things that matter. I work a ton of hours and have 2 active kids. If you tell the same story to friends in a short time something is setting in and you should get it checked out.

For starters, you put this in the Mechanical/Maintenance Forum when it should have gone into the General and Off Topics Forum.

There can be a number of issues that cause memory problems. Your blanket question doesn't give enough information to make any sort of an informed guess as to the cause. It could be anything from a lack of sleep to poor dietary habits to a physical problem such as a brain tumor. If you're serious about wanting to improve your memory, the first step is to make certain there are no physical maladies happening. Then you can work on lifestyle changes and mental exercises that will improve memory.

As long as you do not start finding your shoes in the freezer. I am still trying to figure out how my dryer can make socks disapear.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
As long as you do not start finding your shoes in the freezer. I am still trying to figure out how my dryer can make socks disapear.
Sometimes they are drawn under the agitator in the washer.

Last edited:
Well, this is the third day in a row, that you've asked the same exact question..

No it isn't.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

No it isn't.

O.P. - I'm sure that joe is joking around.
as far as being forgetful -- we all are like this, from time to time. no big deal, unless you get progressively worse.you 'gotta learn to laugh about it.
you need a couple of laughs -- the threads titles "safe to drive with no coolant", and "getting grease out of a cartridge" gave me a good laugh.read those threads.
IOW,don't worry about it, and have a good day.

At age 60 I started taking flying lessons. It soon became apparent that I was having memory issues. Got checked out and found that I was suffering from sleep apnea. I've been using a CPAP breathing machine since. You should get evaluated. It's one of those things that sneaks up on you. It is more likely with age, but can happen at any age. My oldest son was diagnosed at age 35. Good sleep is the foundation for all other things in your life.

I do memory exercises as well. My wife does crosswords, I play video games, mostly Mahjong and FreeCell. I currently have 23732 wins with FC, on this pc. I've played FC on every computer I've ever owned since it was introduced with win-95 I think. Also play Spider Solitaire. Games are good memory exercisers and and helps to get your mind away from the daily grind.

I am always impressed when somebody takes off lots and lots of stuff have dozens of fasteners thrown in the cowl area and then reassemble it without leaving anything in the cowl. They are mostly 10mm but with different color and different sizes if they are working on a Honda. How do they keep track of which fastener goes where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back