Your thoughts on the new 2016 mazda cx5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, recently my wife and I were thinking about trading in her 2014 dart for a 2016 mazda cx5 grand touring with fwd. Test drove one just like we wanted except in a different color and over all we were amazed in the quality of this car. However I have never owned a mazda and was wondering what you guys that have owned this model or know someone that does, think about them after sometime of owning it. Car has a 2.5 skyactiv engine and a 6speed auto. Not getting awd because I live in southeast louisiana Thanks

The most common parts I sell on CX-5s are oil filters and drain plug crush washers. We sell a lot of body parts for them to body shops, but as far as mechanically, I don't sell a lot.

That's a pretty significant change in very short period of time; what changed that made her want a CUV instead of a compact sedan, if I may ask?

I haven't test-driven one in a years, but I find most Mazdas to be very nice-driving vehicles. Even the Mazda 5 was relatively fun to drive, for a micro-van.

As I've mentioned before, we love our '14 CX-5. 28k miles and counting, zero problems. The engine does pretty well...it's got enough power, but still does well on the fuel economy side.

Just want something bigger. The dart is a nice car and has 20k miles with no problem out of it but it just doesn't ride very well on our bad southern roads.

Originally Posted By: moparguy19
Hey guys, recently my wife and I were thinking about trading in her 2014 dart for a 2016 mazda cx5 grand touring with fwd. Test drove one just like we wanted except in a different color and over all we were amazed in the quality of this car. However I have never owned a mazda and was wondering what you guys that have owned this model or know someone that does, think about them after sometime of owning it. Car has a 2.5 skyactiv engine and a 6speed auto. Not getting awd because I live in southeast louisiana Thanks

My wife's 2014 Mazda6 is top notch, great quality, fit an finish. Has the same engine, and gets about 37-38 avg MPG and has enough power and very comfy, and looks GREAT. VERY sporty handling for such a big car, and the automatic transmission is VERY responsive, quick and sporty - probably one of the best autos i have driven. This auto trans was praised as THE best auto transmission available in this segment by several car magazines, incl. motor trend and car & driver.

Wife drives about 26k miles per year, and at 54k total miles on it, except for a few dealer-cost fixes to the navigation/stereo software, (TSBs) car has been flawless so far.
Very happy with it, and would highly recommend.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

My wife's 2014 Mazda6 is top notch, great quality, fit an finish. Has the same engine, and gets about 37-38 avg MPG and has enough power and very comfy, and looks GREAT. VERY sporty handling for such a big car, and the automatic transmission is VERY responsive, quick and sporty - probably one of the best autos i have driven. This auto trans was praised as THE best auto transmission available in this segment by several car magazines, incl. motor trend and car & driver.

Wife drives about 26k miles per year, and at 54k total miles on it, except for a few dealer-cost fixes to the navigation/stereo software, (TSBs) car has been flawless so far.
Very happy with it, and would highly recommend.
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the trans felt really good. I know it's a different vehical but have you noticed and rattles in the cab. The dart rattles like crazy and has a lot of road noise

The late spouse had a 2012 and it was a nice quiet, solid, frugal, fun, practical, ect ect ect. My only gripe was the vsc was a bit too nanny like for my tastes. In spirited cornering you could tell it was the one holding the reins. Thankfully defeatable. BTw very comfortable non leather seats.

I came VERY close to getting a CX-5. In fact, I still want one ... just don't want to sacrifice buying a house for one.

It was just so well balanced. Handled perfect for its size. Shifter feel was great. Got excellent gas mileage. Interior was nice and simple, but high quality.

If anyone wants to buy me a 6 speed manual CX-5, I'm taking donations!

I love Mazda's build quality and reliability. I think I'm a lifer for the most part. Only car that temps me that isn't a mazda is the Ford Fiesta.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I love Mazda's build quality and reliability. I think I'm a lifer for the most part. Only car that temps me that isn't a mazda is the Ford Fiesta.

At the moment, isn't the Fiesta still based on the Mazda 2? Or was the Mazda 2 Fiesta based?

Originally Posted By: Miller88

At the moment, isn't the Fiesta still based on the Mazda 2? Or was the Mazda 2 Fiesta based?

I don't know. I just know the Fiesta is a fantastic small car that feels, drives and sounds way nicer than its price tag.

I know it's a different vehical but have you noticed and rattles in the cab. The dart rattles like crazy and has a lot of road noise

Absolutely no rattles or noises.
at 54k, it still drives like it did the day it was bought. (and it does see some rough roads every day on her drive to work, at least certain segments of her drive).

The suspension and the 19" wheels on the Mazda6 gives you a very euro-like, firmer ride than most mid-size cars we test drove. One has good road feel, and very sporty handling for such a large car, but only in a good way.
The car is totally solid and rattle-free inside and out, to this day. We will be getting new tires for it soon (Conti DWS 06), the factory tires were sporty but rubbish in rain and light snow, etc.

I am sure you will love the CX-5. I have never driven one, but has ridden in one, and it seemed like a very nice, very euro/German-like vehicle, just like the 6

I have a similar experience 97tbird. I had a 2006 Mazda6i for 100k miles. Even when I traded it in on my Mazda3, it had no rattles or squeaks. It still drove firm and comfy, just like new. My mazda3 has almost 50k miles on it so far and same thing.

I dont know what it is about the Mazda drivetrain/suspension but I swear they must do something a bit different. My mazda6 never once needed an alignment over that 100k miles and so far the same is true for my mazda3. This seems crazy to me as I have some bumpy railroad tracks that I have to drive over at least 2 times a day at 40 mph.

... My mazda6 never once needed an alignment over that 100k miles and so far the same is true for my mazda3. This seems crazy to me as I have some bumpy railroad tracks that I have to drive over at least 2 times a day at 40 mph.

In my opinion and experience, this is normal. Vehicles that require frequent alignment when used non-abusively have a problem.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
... My mazda6 never once needed an alignment over that 100k miles and so far the same is true for my mazda3. This seems crazy to me as I have some bumpy railroad tracks that I have to drive over at least 2 times a day at 40 mph.

In my opinion and experience, this is normal. Vehicles that require frequent alignment when used non-abusively have a problem.

I generally agree. An alignment shouldn't be necessary unless something was hit that bent a suspension component or you're on washboard roads all the time and you simply shake stuff loose. Railroad tracks shouldn't be a problem for a suspension system.

In fact, I bet if you filmed it in slow motion, you'll find that the wheel/tire is actually airborne for at least some of the time, which reduces to some degree the jarring of every individual undulation across those tracks.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect

Well no other cars I have owned have done as well. Same is said for my parents who don't have the ridiculously violent railroad track crossing that I do. vehicles in my family fleet tend to need an alignment (not significantly off by any means, just barely out of spec) about once every 3-4 years.

Hey guys, recently my wife and I were thinking about trading in her 2014 Dart for a 2016 Mazda CX5 grand touring with fwd. Test drove one just like we wanted except in a different color and over all we were amazed in the quality of this car. However I have never owned a Mazda and was wondering what you guys that have owned this model or know someone that does, think about them after sometime of owning it. Car has a 2.5 Skyactiv engine and a 6speed auto. Not getting AWD because I live in southeast Louisiana. Thanks

If I was in market for a compact SUV/CUV I would test drive the new Honda HR-V too to compares it with CX5.

The two are very similar in term of performance/handling, features and reliability and either one is a good buy. Honda has a little advantage in term of dealer network, they have more dealers than Mazda, and more aftermarket parts.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Hey guys, recently my wife and I were thinking about trading in her 2014 Dart for a 2016 Mazda CX5 grand touring with fwd. Test drove one just like we wanted except in a different color and over all we were amazed in the quality of this car. However I have never owned a Mazda and was wondering what you guys that have owned this model or know someone that does, think about them after sometime of owning it. Car has a 2.5 Skyactiv engine and a 6speed auto. Not getting AWD because I live in southeast Louisiana. Thanks

If I was in market for a compact SUV/CUV I would test drive the new Honda HR-V too to compares it with CX5.

The two are very similar in term of performance/handling, features and reliability and either one is a good buy. Honda has a little advantage in term of dealer network, they have more dealers than Mazda, and more aftermarket parts.

CRV = CX-5
HRV = CX-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back