Tuff Torq K70A / Mobil1 15w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: cronk
Hygard is a hydraulic/transmission fluid. Otherwise known as "tractor fluid", it will function as hydraulic fluid and transmission/differential lubricant.
It comes in regular or low viscosity flavors.
Low viscosity is the recommendation for most of the garden tractor hydrostats. I'm not familiar with the OP's specific transaxle, if it was spec'ed by Deere for Hygard, I'm sure that would be a good fluid to use. Amsoil also makes a synthetic all season tractor fluid I may try in my JD 317 hydro.
If Tuff Torq says 15w50 or similar motor oil is recommended, then the Mobil1 would be a good choice.

thumbsup2.gif

The viscosity difference between the JD low vis and a 50 weight engine oil is quite a spread.

If you have a severely worn or internally leaky pump causing a noise, a high viscosity fluid may temporarily help, but if you have to use a high vis fluid in a system designed for a low vis fluid, then you have a problem.

Who was the tech you spoke to?

I never spoke with any techs, I was referring to what was said by another poster who said he spoke with a Tuff Torque tech.

I agree it seems like quite a viscosity difference between the LV Hygard and 15w50 engine oil.
When I put LV Hygard in my JD 316, it poured like a 5w30 engine oil.
It was said above that TT changed their recommended fluid from 10w30 motor oil to 5w50.
It seems to me a 15w50 might be to thick if used in low temps like a tractor mounted snow blower.
I remember seeing a service bulletin from JD saying to use LV Hygard in 300 series hydro units and if the regular viscosity hygard was used it may cause cavitation and pump damage in cold weather use.

The current Mobil 1 15-50 is SN rated. When these hydrogear manufacturers started recommending 15 or 20-50, they were SL/SM rated oils. They had more zinc and phos. in them. A lot of these 2 anti-wear additives was removed for the SN rating. Therefore I would change those fluids sooner than the book recommends. I stopped using 15-50 in my Harley. I use it in my HydroGear 3400's and added a bit of zddp.

Mobil 1 15w50 has a sufficient amount of ZDDP. The lower ZDDP level requirements do NOT apply to 40 weight oils and higher.

I was all ready to do M1 15W-50 in my K46 this Saturday, but the local NAPA didn't have it (Their $4.99/qt sale) but did have the 5W-50 so I went ahead and used that. I drained the factory at about 18 hours and it now has 45 hours on it. I used Rotella 15W40 for that first change as its what I had on hand. Seemed to work just fine. Oil I drained from it had a sheen to it, but hardly anything on the magnet. I'll run the 5W50 for another 50 hours or so and change it. That should last me a couple of years. Yard isn't that big and I only put maybe 15-20 hours on it a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back