ISO Bubble Brake Liine Flare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to repair a brake line that has bubble flares (like many cars have). How well will a double flair tool work on existing line? The DF tool is all the parts stores carry. They claim the DF tool can be used to make bubble flair, I don't think that is completely correct. Is it worth using the DF loaner tool or wait to buy a hopefully better bubble tool online?

People will tell you that a double flare tool can make a bubble flare. This is done by not performing the second step of the double flare, where the line is folded over itself.

This is not a bubble flare. The dies are different and the flare is different. Will this cheat work in a pinch? Maybe... maybe not. I've done as a last resort, when I'm not near my own tools and need to use whatever the parts store loaner is. Given the prevalence of the BF, I don't know why nobody has BF tools for loan.

Originally Posted By: Silk
A bubble flare is just the first step in a double flare.

"The flare is essentially the “first step” on the way to making a double flare. Although they’re similar, you should never interchange double flare and bubble flare parts."

Eastwood

You have to flip the "crimpy down" part of the tool over also when doing an ISO flare so the backside is perpindicular to the line and not diagonal.

You can always buy ISO flared line then cut off and double flare the other end where it joins your old line.

you can get pre-flared lengths of bubble, just like you can double flared pieces. There are also adapters that go from ISO (bubble) to 45* double flare.

Any recommendations for a iso flaring tool? I'll take a double flair if none are any good. DF seem more common for whatever reason. Unless I missing something, most all of the tools I found at the parts store or Amazon have pretty low user ratings unless they are high dollar bench models

S.U.R&R has a hand held flaring tool in the 100.00 range that should work well.

We have the bench vise mounted version that works flawlessly every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back