Retirement gift yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been wondering..... when I retire I would love to own a 911. Who wouldn't right? Can't afford though! So given middle class financial spending if you could buy a sporty nice car what would you buy? This is based on quality of the product from the brand, fun factor and overall quality?

Mazda MX-5
Subraru WRX STI
Civic SI
Ford Focus RS

Yeah, most options are japanese. German brands are quite a bit more expensive.

EDIT: Oh, i thought you were talking about brand new cars only, hence my list.

Last edited:
I've always wanted a real cobra R mustang.

More realistic for me would be a bone stock 99 cobra, rio red.

For a car about the size of a 911, it wouldn't work for me but a guy at work has a late model Miata MX5. I drove it a few times, and it is quite fun to drive and cruise around in. He drives it daily to work.

For a daily driver fun car, yet not sporty I have always liked the look of the last generation of Toyota Solara, convertible. White with black top and the v6 engine.

If you're set on a car from Stuttgart, Boxsters have become surprisingly affordable.

I know it's such a cliche, but I'd personally be looking at Corvettes. Maybe a C5 Z06 or C6 Z51 or Grand Sport.

Honestly I think it would be more fun to find an old corvette stingray or something like that, which while not truly powerful or all that fast by todays standards, are available, parts can be found, and are still interesting and iconic sports cars.

We bought a 2000 Porsche Boxster 5spd and love it. Only 30k dollars and previous owner traded for a Ferrari 458 local. I love the Porsche, its fun and watching the rear wing lift is cool.

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Been wondering..... when I retire I would love to own a 911. Who wouldn't right? Can't afford though! So given middle class financial spending if you could buy a sporty nice car what would you buy? This is based on quality of the product from the brand, fun factor and overall quality?

Can you be more specific as far as what your budget is?

Avoid any Porsche with an IMS bearing.

What budget is your middle class finances like?

RX8
Miata
MR2
Corvette
ToyotaRu, Subayota... FRS/BRZ
Any Nissan/Datsun Z 280/300/350/370
Genesis Coupe

Aston/Bentley/Maserati/AlfaRomeo/Lotus... used prices rival boring new commuters

I wouldn't even consider an economy car... Focus/Civic/Golf/SER

I'm a Mercedes guy, have an E350. Probably the S550, kinda big though, but has tons of luxury features. Then there's always the SL. If you want to go really nuts, an AMG version. If you're retired now, you can actually get an S550 in the 25-30k range for a 2007+ which had a major model change from 2006, still sorta looks modern. The sticker price on these were in the 100 grand range.

My neighbor restores older race and unique 911's. While they go for good money fully restored, there is no reason not to own an older one. They are not expensive, parts are plentiful and they are a blast to drive. What's not to like.

$20,000 gets you a really nice one!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Had the 550 80,000 miles it needed a transmission and major a/c problems.. Nice car but not as reliable as they make them sound.

I don't think they're that well known for being reliable, just a nice ride.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My neighbor restores older race and unique 911's. While they go for good money fully restored, there is no reason not to own an older one. They are not expensive, parts are plentiful and they are a blast to drive. What's not to like.

$20,000 gets you a really nice one!

What Cujet said.
the problem with buying 'new' is, it will get old, Plus there would be nothing to tinker with.

Older models can be cool, and get even cooler.

A 911 would be a good choice. I have just been watching the series 'The Bridge' on Netflix, it gave me the Hots for an old 911.
20.gif

A note on all of the (older) Boxster suggestions;

This had got to be THE most PIA car I have EVER had the displeasure to work on!!!!
mad.gif
frown.gif

I am NOT saying that they do not drive and handle great, just that you had better keep fistfuls of money available to pay someone else to fix/repair the thing when needed, IF you are not VERY capable mechanically, are NOT a small handed contortionist, and do not like to be TOTALLY p***ed off, frustrated, and cursing at a car incessantly.

More than a FULL DAY just to change out the overflow tank (which ALL of the early ones at least will need), with the resultant bloody and bruised arms and hands, and STILL not having the oil fill pipe in it's proper place in the top of the tank platform, is just ridiculous beyond the pale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even imagine changing plugs, or hoses on this car, or ANYTHING on top of the engine, or even cleaning any of the following; intake manifold, MAF, throttle body, air oil separator, etc.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back