K24z7 Solenoid Gasket and Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking with a friend, he (owned Hondas for years) says that on all but one of his Hondas, he never changed out the solenoid gasket and oil screen due to it getting clogged and therefore causing codes to be thrown. Others have said at the 105k mile chain and tensioner replacement, have it done also. Is anyone familiar with Hondas needing this replaced? I have a desire to keep my OC's to 6k miles tops with M1 EP (if it's on sale) or M1 AFE and a fram ultra due to the chance of it getting clogged over time.

The chain is supposed to last the life of the engine. Honda 4cyls used to have a timing belt that would need replacement around that mileage. The 6cyl engines still have a timing belt that need replacement around 120k/10yrs.

I'd change out the pcv valve around 60k with an oem version. The valves may need adjustment around that mileage.

Last edited:
If you are referring to the VTEC solenoid and gasket, the gasket should be replaced around the 100,000 mile range as it is rubber, is located on top of the exhaust manifold and does harden. The screen on mine was as clean as a whistle but the rubber gasket was starting to harden at about 140,000 miles when I changed it. It only takes about 15 minutes to change the gasket which has the screen integrated into it. I'm still using the original VTEC solenoid.

I was told by a mechanic that many people end up getting valve adjustments at their 105k mile chain and tensioner replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back