Aftermarket supercharger--02 Miata SE--oil weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Mobil 1 10w/30 for '02 Miata SE, but have added a Vortech v9f supercharger. Is this still the recommended oil weight?

Once it is modded, factory recommendations go out the window.

Need oil temp and PSI to adjust up from the factory recommendations.

I'd also worry about coolant temps too.

I would start with ANY 0w40 or 5w40. You can use oil temp/PSI, along with UOA data, to adjust oil grade.

Maybe..I might use a lower noack oil like QSUD or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in 10w30. You will need to lower your oil change intervals, and use a fuel additive with friction modifiers and upper cylinder lubricant like gumout all in one or redline si1 for longevity. I would also suggest more frequent coolant flushes and maybe a tranny and oil cooler also. What kinda boost you making psi wise?

Call Dave at redline oil and tell him what you did and what he suggests. They have a great oil and their water wetter is fantastic too. You might have to upgrade the tranny oil or change it a lot sooner to handle the stress of a boosted engine

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Once it is modded, factory recommendations go out the window.

Need oil temp and PSI to adjust up from the factory recommendations.

I'd also worry about coolant temps too.

I would start with ANY 0w40 or 5w40. You can use oil temp/PSI, along with UOA data, to adjust oil grade.

+1 a little thicker is better than a little thin. More powe r= more heat.

I agree with CT8 and GMechTech. I think Thicker is safer with more power and more heat. Full Synthetic.

Without having more details, I would go for a 0W40 or 5W40.

I appreciate all the input. I haven't even seen the Miata in person (on line purchase) and am way out of my league on this stuff. In the interest of full disclosure, my son is an engineer with ExxonMobil, so we are definitely biased when it comes to oil and oil filters--Mobil 1 all the way!

I use 0W40 in the 2015 VW Golf TSI, 0W20 in the 2010 CRV. Of course, those are driven in the sometimes sub-zero winter days in Northern Wisconsin, while the Miata is strictly a May to October vehicle. So, the "thicker"oils approach does seem to make some sense to me. The recommendation for the stock model is 10W30.

Smart guys, keep the answers coming! I do appreciate the wisdom of the car enthusiasts out there.

What was upgraded by the prior owner that I know of:

Vortech V9F ]Supercharger System

Racing Beat Header and Exhaust

Racing Beat Aluminum Flywheel

Stage 1 Clutch Upgrade

Worry not about the trans fluid. That kit doesn't pump enough power to require any changes there. It will not cause any additional heating there either.

That kit should have an oil lubricated supercharger. I'd use VR-1 Syn in 10/30 and a decent oil cooler

You're not talking about power levels beyond what factory 4 cylinder engines make today. The engine is hardly running against extreme limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back